Author Topic: The Out of Character Lounge  (Read 35574 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
The Out of Character Lounge
« on: May 31, 2008, 10:17:38 am »
I was struck with an idea of sorts just now. In my attempt to alert people to the purging of the RP List, I realized that the only place I could post it to have it read was in the Off Topic Topic. Now that's fine, but it doesn't get the attention of the audience I want. That's why I made this! Consider it the off topic area of the Storytelling & Roleplaying section, but for those of us who use this section a lot. General RP or Meta-Game talk can go here, advertisements for your RPs or Meta-Games can go here, anything related to RPs or Meta-Games can go here and you will know that the audience you want to reach will be sure to read it!

Anyway that's all I've got to say about that.

Also, like I said elsewhere, the RP List has been purged of inactive RPs so please take a look and tell me if you think an RP should be put back on the list. Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 10:38:37 am by PatMan33 »

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
Re: The Out of Character Lounge
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 10:25:16 am »
Just thought of this, would you consider the Cruise game an RP? Or A metagame? It seems to be a weird hybrid of both.

Speaking of metagames, a certain list needs updating, Hydro. *Hint, hint*

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 10:27:04 am »
It sure is hard to classify and aside from dividing it into a ratio of RP:Meta-Game, I'd just go with a hybrid.

Good luck getting that list updated... :P

Offline sgore

• Questron Serf
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 10:33:48 am »
"This is actually a very good idea. Since it applies to this part of the fourm as a whole, perhaps it should be stickied." Said Sgore, perched atop his mobile escalator.

(And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is sadly about as much RPing as I've had time to do this year.)
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 10:38:05 am »
Dunno... we're on the verge of having too many stickies as it is.

I've added links to this topic in the RP List and the RP Rules so that's two ways of finding it. Hopefully people will use this so that it stays bumped. Also I just changed the topic's symbol to a thumb's up so it'll attract more attention. :)

Offline Bona Fide Supraman

• Star Raider
  • Not Super, Supra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 10:44:10 am »
Well the cruise is definitely at least partly an RP, as we are RPing.

Edit: I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that I think 'THE MUSICTRIX' is a tad selfish.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 05:08:42 pm by Bona Fide Supraman »
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 05:07:10 pm »
Perhaps, but to each his own.

I've had a scheme in the works for about a year to do something that I've dubbed "Micro RPs". It's an RP that you play with three people in a group and the story goes on until things end. They wouldn't be terribly long and it'd be easy to get into. A list of very vague scenarios would be written up and you and your group pick from the list and go to town. Multiple groups can do similar scenarios and you'd be able to see how different people play off of the conditions of the world. Anyway, there's still a few kinks to work out but hopefully it'll be up and running soon! :)

Offline Bona Fide Supraman

• Star Raider
  • Not Super, Supra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 05:09:14 pm »
Sweet, sounds fun
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 05:09:59 pm »
I am very interested in that idea. Tell me more.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 05:23:12 pm »
Sure thing! It's actually pretty simple!

Well there's be a hub topic of sorts and that's where all of the story options would be posted. Maybe include a tag (yeah... tags, I know) so that we can identify micro-RPs from the rest. Anyway you'd have your story list and from there you choose which one you want and create a new topic and then RP in it with your group. The logic behind it is that, as a rule, few people actually like to do the work involved with drafting up an RP and then presenting it. This would take all of the busy work out of the process and allow people to go right into the game if they so desire.

In addition to the selection area, there'd also be a form that people could use to submit their own plots and whatnot. I know that there is a group of people that enjoy building the worlds but are not so keen on playing in them. With this they can create worlds and plots to their heart's content and then, if they wanted to, be able to see what people make of their creation. We'd have to have a sort of governing council to make sure things retain a certain level of quality but beyond that the whole system requires very little management.

So far I've been doing this myself, so please feel free to give me any criticisms or whatever. After all, we'd all be a part of it so everyone gets a say. Just don't steal the idea! :P

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 05:32:13 pm »
That sounds like a good plan. It has the added benefit of making RPs seem less overwhelming in the long term. More people would enjoy joining in a few page RP as opposed to a monster nearing the triple digits with extensive backstories.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 05:32:43 pm »
               What about different characters from different RPs in a single large RP? It could be divided into worlds and people can only RP characters when the single (1) "main character" of the RP goes to their world. This is to avoid what happened in the Poly RP. Of course, this will still have a central plot.

Yeah, I know, it sounds eerily similar to a certain something. ::) Hey, maybe it'd work, who knows?

Constructive criticism is welcome.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 09:19:22 am »
Hey I've got a request. Can you guys send me word of any Meta-Games that you know to be completed? I can't think of any in recent memory that actually reached their end point, but maybe you can. If you know of any please send me a Personal Message.

Although it doesn't seem that very many games ever finish and usually just become inactive. Still, if you can find them, tell me. Don't kill yourselves trying to find them either, this is only going out to people who were probably in the game and remember finishing it. Thanks!

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 11:31:19 am »
Well, all of LadyM's Sims games were completed (with the exception of the on-going "back stage" house).

Also, just a little suggestion. For links that link to places inside the thread you should use the [iurl] tags instead. No need for a new window/tab if you can get to the same place via scrolling.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 11:33:43 am by Oviraptor »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 12:05:22 pm »
Thanks, I didn't know that. That's what I wanted to do but it obviously wasn't happening.