Author Topic: Gripe Thread  (Read 396394 times)

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
Re: Gripe Thread
« Reply #3270 on: June 26, 2012, 07:41:12 pm »
Hey, remember that probability paradox thing that we talked about a while back involving the 3 doors and whatnot?  I was at the pub today and we somehow got on the topic of probability, so I thought I'd mention it since it's a neat little fact.  This resulted in me getting in a 30 minute long argument with another guy who just adamantly refused to believe me at all.  Despite me best attempts at explaining it he refused to comprehend.

Now I'm frustrated and all hopped up on probability.

Martyk frustrated about a logical discussion? What are the odds?

-Lego

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #3271 on: June 27, 2012, 12:01:27 am »
Mmm... probability...

It's amazing how adamantly people will defend the simplest things (even when you know they are wrong and can prove it). I once worked with a guy who refused to believe that the Appalachian Trail and the International Appalachian Trail were distinct.

A few weeks later, he went missing from work. Turns out he got arrested for holding a loaded shotgun at his step-father's face. And I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. To the ramblatorium!

I guess my gripe is why do people sometimes refuse to listen to reason? Why, people?

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: June 27, 2012, 06:18:14 am »
Because too many people hate being wrong, even though the very nature of realising you're wrong allows you to adjust, and become correct again. Mental growth is something like the art of compromising between your world-view, and actual world-reality. People who cannot reconcile core differences, seem to be more likely to go to absurd lengths when challenged. Shotguns or not.

My gripe? Love troubles.
You can't choose who you fall for, but why with me, does it always end up being long-distance?
My problem is that I have been asked to do the one thing I find it nearly impossible to do, even for love : Wait, and do nothing.
The fear of drifting away in doing this what she most wants, is really agonising.
Blargh.
...but I'll still do it. And suffer gladly. When the alternate is being without her, it's still hard, but the choice is easy.

Hnnngh.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: June 27, 2012, 06:26:15 am »
It's amazing how adamantly people will defend the simplest things (even when you know they are wrong and can prove it). I once worked with a guy who refused to believe that the Appalachian Trail and the International Appalachian Trail were distinct.

Yeah, from those links, it's clear that they are totally distinct!
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #3274 on: June 27, 2012, 10:10:13 am »

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: July 01, 2012, 06:49:11 pm »
You all remember how I used to be.
How I'd fly into a blind rage at the slightest provocation. But I've grown, and these days, it takes a lot.

So, when this one guy made a bigoted comment about homosexuals, as is typical on YouTube, I responded, "And that's a problem... why, exactly?" It was intended to make him think about what he'd said.

So this other guy comes in and mistakes my statement for bigotry, then, before I have a chance to explain that he appears unable to detect tone of voice through comments, he launches a rather unsavory personal attack on me and insults my very character, using various words I won't repeat here. I've since reported him for libel and harassment, and very briefly reminded him to remember who I was responding to and how. Of course, he hasn't responded since on the video. I blocked him, but that doesn't block comment replies.

But y'know what? That's too much mercy on my part.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 07:04:26 pm by Gnoll »
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: July 01, 2012, 07:38:30 pm »
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: July 01, 2012, 08:31:20 pm »

...y'know what? I'm sigging this.

...I guess you could say I'm a bit naive.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #3278 on: July 02, 2012, 12:48:56 am »
I have a gripe: Inkling just got sigged. I wish I was as cool as him.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: July 02, 2012, 02:21:20 am »
How fast we could stop global warming if we all were as cool as Inkling...
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3280 on: July 02, 2012, 07:21:22 am »
You all remember how I used to be.

Who are you again

It's Dr. Octagonapus.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: July 02, 2012, 10:31:29 am »
My gripe?
My 40k 6th Edition Big Rule Book won't get here soon enough.
Ah, first-world problems  :D

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #3282 on: July 15, 2012, 11:42:47 am »
Last weekend, I got a chance to hang out with my RL buddies (god, I hate saying RL).
They invited me to a hike a week later, which is today.
So I was pretty stoked to do this thing. I get a little bag of food and water and stuff ready, though I wasn't told how long the hike was gonna be or what sort of stuff I might want to bring.
Whatever though, no big deal. I got this handled.

I was also not told exactly when I was going to get picked up. My only clue was that they'd want to do it early in the day before it gets really hot.
So I got up nice and early.
And promptly fell back asleep on the couch waiting for an unknown time. I ended up waking up to the sound of a car pulling out of our driveway and driving off. Was that my ride that just left, I thought to myself.
Yes, yes it was, as I was told by one of my buddies over Steam a half hour later.
Well, cool. And then I hear that the hike got canceled anyway because of thunder.

That's right, sunny all week, clear starry night sky last night, no clouds to be seen.. and in only a few hours, it becomes overcast, somewhat chilly, and thundering.
Had there not been thunder, it likely would have rained anyway. Hasn't started yet, but it will.

So yeah, I'm not exactly sure what my gripe is. I guess the whole thing was a let-down?
I don't get to see these guys very often so when plans fall through, partly my fault, partly lack of information given, partly this retarded weather, it can be a real bummer.

Guess I'll go get mad at Etrian Odyssey some more.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: July 15, 2012, 11:45:07 am »
... Whyyy wouldn't they ring the doorbell?

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: July 15, 2012, 12:14:36 pm »
Or call your phone, or blow the car horn, or tell you when they were showing up?
Probably not a Goat, either.