Author Topic: Guild Wars  (Read 47935 times)

Offline Engineer

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Concidering Guild Wars
« Reply #180 on: April 26, 2006, 01:07:02 pm »
I played this game for about a little bit and then stoped because i thort it was sooooo boreing nothing was a challenge i like being challenged like on EQ2 that's challengeing sometime's but Guildwars wasnt challengeing at all but that's just me other people might think diffrently you just got to play it to see if you like it.

Dude.  Punctuation.
Never Stop Inventing.

Offline DrJiggs

• Atari Combat Vet
  • "Domokun will rule the world"
    • View Profile
    • My Own Room
« Reply #181 on: April 26, 2006, 07:09:28 pm »
I've played Guild Wars since it came out last year, and in my opinion, the game rocks! Not only does the no subscription fee rule, I just think everything about is pretty sweet. The one thing I would love to see, which Steve mentioned some time ago in a podcast, is for ArenaNet to implement some kind of merchant/auction system. If they did this, along with releasing Factions with its features, I think the game would be overall very well-rounded. The one thing that keeps me from WoW (the ONE thing) is the subscription fee! I don't know, I just can't get over the fact that I bought the game and then I have to keep paying for it, because I honestly don't see the benefits - obviously, Blizzard has to make money somehow to keep its, what, 6 million users happy. However, I have friends that play, and after taking a step back and looking at the game, I just can't seem to find the benefits of paying monthly. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a Blizzard-lover, but why, oh why, did they have to charge monthly?? Anyway, enough of that. Guild Wars, to me, is a great game.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

Offline Darklord

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 27, 2006, 08:31:47 am »
if u follow directions from leaders well and love playing the same build day in and day out u love this game. but if u like finding items that make your char diffrent or u just like to do the solo thing this is not a good game. i played it for 9 months i was in TPG guild the old MS (if u played you should know us) but we broke apart like a month ago. oo ya all u do to be difrent from anyone else is get high rank and good luck on that as a newbie lol beacuse newbs don't get invites to parties that get good fame. all in all if u did not start in beta don't start now.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 29, 2006, 10:06:56 am »
People just don't get it. I love GW and i played the game, all teh wya through. Luke states it was no challenge. Exactly how far into the game did you get?

Can't get into a party when you dont ahve rank? i manage too, and we usualy beat the higher ranked people, because they just gained rank IWAY farming.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Cronox

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 29, 2006, 02:34:23 pm »
I found GW got a little frustrating in the later stages. As others have already pointed out it's not a very good game if you just want to play by yourself. You really have to party to quest later on in the game because the computer AI characters are fairly useless, sometimes you get a good party straight away which is great as I found most of the quests enjoyable, other times you wait 15-20 minutes and get stuck with a bunch of people who have no idea what to do.
I also found the item collection part of the game rather dull, you very rarely find any new useful equipment meaning there isn't really any point killing enemies apart from when questing, which takes us back to the can't find a party issue. The PvP combat is really good for an RPG, if you are into that you should have a good time.
Overall I really think it comes down to what you are looking for and weather you have a guild or some friends to play with.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 30, 2006, 11:04:45 am »
It's not supposed ot be played solo, i dont see teh point in playing a Massivley Multiplayer Online, designed for Cooperative gameplay on my own.

I reccoment getting a guild and doing missions with them. You will know them better and do better and most probably have more fun. Oddly, i joke around with Guidlies and win missions, i am serious in PUGs and they fail. Amusing.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 01, 2006, 12:20:15 am »
It's not supposed ot be played solo, i dont see teh point in playing a Massivley Multiplayer Online, designed for Cooperative gameplay on my own.

I reccoment getting a guild and doing missions with them. You will know them better and do better and most probably have more fun. Oddly, i joke around with Guidlies and win missions, i am serious in PUGs and they fail. Amusing.

The game isn't an MMORPG, it's an Online RPG, and they did always say you could play the game solo if you wanted, but that unfortunatly just isn't true.  I didn't know anyone else who played the game besides my brother, and neither of us had any interest in teaming up with anyon online, for obvious reasons, we managed to get pretty far just using the henchmen, but once you get around Kryta/Jungles it's just completely impossible to play through the game with even two/three people, you absoloutly NEED an expeiernced team, and at least two monks.  In my opinion, at least, this completely ruined the game for us.  You'll sometimes meet some nice people online, but most of the time you'll just find complete jerks.  We stopped playing when we hit level 20 at Droknars Forge, neither of us have any desire to go further just because of how bad the community is.

Seriously.  How hard would it be do have scaling enemies?  Easier if there's only one human player, harder if there's eight.  Every other online game I've played ever has done it.

Offline Zerly

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 01, 2006, 05:03:46 am »
Depends on what you are looking for in a multiplayer fantasy game. I like exploring worlds, feeling immersed in an environment. Guild Wars isnt this. You basically just teleport from one instanced encounter to the next. If you are after PVP battles, its probably a worthy buy, but I didnt find it immersive at all.

Nice graphics though :)

Offline Fumanchu

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 02, 2006, 11:28:53 am »
Yeah, man I was pretty enamored with it when I first got it. My brother and I were in on the beta and we were running around just having a blast. But, post-searing, everywhere looks so washed out. There's no vibrancy anywhere (from what I saw) which only discourages you from exploring further. Then, the customization options are severely lacking, although the graphics are pretty good-looking in a sense that you don't notice as many angles as CoH or CoV. I did do a lot of the lvl-20 instanced PVP and that was pretty fun for a while, although the progression didn't seem to justify the time spent. Like Zerly said, if you like to explore the world and take in the wonderful scenery while doing your quests, look elsewhere. The instanced-everything of GW seems to do everything it can to not immerse you in its world.

Offline beo

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 02, 2006, 02:13:18 pm »
i've been playing guild wars for a while now and honestly as much as i love the game, it is quite a mystery..

PvE wise i'd say you get your money's worth but it won't satisfy you if you want to level up to the triple digits. Honestly having both factions and prophecies, there is too much pve to do now for me XD

PvP wise- i'd say this is the core of the game. the only draw back is that it is insanely complicated. Just the sheer number of skills you have to learn about, it is really overwhelming. The learning curve is really steep and the game is constantly changing will skill balances and stuff. For a guy like me, this is pretty much heaven.

a lot depends on how good your guild is. so take your time and find a good one.

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 05, 2006, 12:42:08 am »
I see many people here complaining about things that make this game such a great game. I really do like it and have played Guild Wars from the release on. I mostly PvE, which I think is great, and sometimes PvP a bit. But the game is really different compared to other MMORPG (although Guild Wars isn't really a MMO). It's more based on your skills and not on your lvl.
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 05, 2006, 06:11:59 pm »
any one gotten factions, how is it?
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline tals

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 07, 2006, 11:04:24 pm »
I'm enjoying factions a lot. I started off with Guild Wars about a year ago - played for a few weeks and then moved on. Then came Gaming Steve's interview with Jeff Strain and that got me back in before factions. For some reason this time round I've enjoyed it more and can't see myself stopping anytime soon

Had factions since release date and its improved the experience further. The quests are more developed so one quest will move onto the next quest and next quest and so on and a quest can also develop as the sub story develops. The Missions - very similar done the first one and that was pretty hectic. Levelling is far quicker - the missions on the mainland are very high exp.

Just started getting into the Faction battles to gain faction and they are also working well. I'd recommend finding a Guild in your Timezone. Not had much experience of the gaming community - random people never works well. I tend to use Henchies for the quests and real people for the missions/pvp.

In terms of playing - they've developed a title system which works well to keeping you interested in adding to your titles, the armour is alaso another goal to aim for as well as skills so whilst I might be maxed still a load more stuff I want to do.

Tals

Offline Heartless_

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Heartless Gamer
« Reply #193 on: May 07, 2006, 11:25:15 pm »
Only thing about Guild Wars that displeases me is the fact that some skill combos to this day remain so ridiculously unbalanced in the general game that it removes all use for player skill.  On a competitive tournament level these builds aren't prominent because they are beatable, but not until that level... meaning the vast majority of the players suffer -_-

Offline tals

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 07, 2006, 11:27:33 pm »
Only thing about Guild Wars that displeases me is the fact that some skill combos to this day remain so ridiculously unbalanced in the general game that it removes all use for player skill. On a competitive tournament level these builds aren't prominent because they are beatable, but not until that level... meaning the vast majority of the players suffer -_-

If they're beatable at competition level then they're beatable at basic level - players just need to work out what counters they need and work as a team.

Tals