Author Topic: Civ4 Pit Boss Game  (Read 19222 times)

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
Re: Dvořák's No. 9 - Civ4 Pitboss Game - LadyM just doesn't understand
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2008, 12:30:00 pm »
Aybraus, i've gotta say this. This is a great idea and with the correct setup this could go very well, but seeing as this is the first time that we're doing this i really think the map needs to be A LOT smaller, the speed setting should be set on quick, and nothing slower, and we should definitely use a different map type. While Perfect World has a lot of ups, it also has a lot of downs. And the downs are very important early in the game. At most you're going to be able to build 1 (2 if you're very lucky) cities that will actually be able to do anything worthwhile. Otherwise everything else is just desert or tundra.

I know you're trying to make this first game epic, and huge, but we need to see if this will work first. I know that not being able to rely on people isn't affecting any of this, but we should try to make it more interesting early on rather than wasting the first month of gameplay working up to our first (and crappy) city.

With this said, i dont think i'll want to play any more games on these settings.

This is all in my opinion though too.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2008, 12:45:03 pm »
I've found for a large multi-player game it's best to have it on quick, standard size map, nothing too big. The further you get into a game, the slower it runs and the longer it takes. Even a quick game can take 7-10 hours depending on who is at war and whats going on. Though I'm not playing, I've read about your problems and I would agree with Josasa that it would be better to play faster on a smaller size game to start out then to try for an epic battle.  Hamachi is also a slower connection that if you played by IP.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2008, 03:55:01 pm »
1) The game is normal speed and standard.
2) PW's problems are called difficulty, and they're not impossible to get around.
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
Ressurecting the whole Pitboss game idea
« Reply #123 on: July 15, 2008, 08:42:59 am »
This time with a few changes/improvements that should make this game better than my last one:
  • I've landed a copy of Windows, so I can run the server without the control applet crashing after five minutes
  • I also have BtS now
  • The game planning and thread will be in the CivFanatics forums
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=283157
So hop over there if you want to play.
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!