Author Topic: Oh. you've got to be kidding me!! - Featured creature rant..  (Read 5835 times)

Offline jarnomiedema

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
Oh. you've got to be kidding me!! - Featured creature rant..
« on: September 24, 2008, 05:08:55 am »
I'm aware of the existence of the "Featured Creatures - Enough Already" thread, but I felt this particular instance deserved its own thread; perhaps because of my own frustration and because it just feels very wrong.. Plus, the other thread is referring to creatures that were made with the creature creator, whereas this is referring to a creature made with Spore..

Yesterday, this popped up in the 'featured' list:

Eye by GenFlagg.

Now, don't get me wrong; congratulations to GenFlagg for getting his creation featured, but I have to ask "Why?"

There are plenty of creatures on the Sporepedia that consist of a single eye (or a ball of eyes; we've even had another featured creature that looked like that in the past)..

I feel that selections like these almost rob those people who put a lot of effort into making realistic / outlandish / original creations from their opportunities in the spotlight, whereas it rewards creators for making something ridiculous.. Now, I'm not saying that creatures like these shouldn't be allowed on the Sporepedia or that they shouldn't be in the game at all, but I am saying that I don't think it deserved to be featured. A quick look at the "Most Popular" and "Most Popular New" lists often gives a much better view of what the community likes and as far as I'm concerned, the featured creations should mostly be picked from there; unless ofcourse a Maxis judge comes across a creature that hasn't really been noticed by others..

In any case, please excuse my little rant here; I guess its just a venting of frustration and seeing the efforts of so many creators go unrewarded, whereas creations that don't really deserve it get this type of exposure.. :(

Oh, and before I get this thrown at me; I'm not ranting because I want my own creatures featured; in comparison to some of the other featured creations, mine might be considered a little bland and unexciting, but I have plenty of people in my Buddy list who I feel should get featured, but so far haven't been..

Offline Neini

• Akalabeth Addict
  • BUNNY SMASH PUNY HUMANS!
    • View Profile
Re: Oh. you've got to be kidding me!! - Featured creature rant..
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 05:31:48 am »
I noticed it too, that thing doesn't deserve to be featured.

Offline Insani99999

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 05:34:39 am »
Well, Maybe it rolls around or something.

Maybe it moives specially?

If not, BURN THE BUILDINGS! BURN THE HOUSES!

Naw, im just kidding, but this is getting stupid.

But, apperantly featured content is what gets alot of comments really quick (liek in 2 days) and is new.

So maybe its auto...?

Offline jarnomiedema

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 05:49:04 am »
But, apperantly featured content is what gets alot of comments really quick (liek in 2 days) and is new.

So maybe its auto...?

I think that's really weird, because when this thing popped up, it still had a yellow smiley and no comments whatsoever. Now it has a green smiley, but still no comments at all.. So I'm afraid that doesn't really stand up..

Offline cloud_dog_9

• Sea Battler
  • Can life get any better? I submit that it can NOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 05:59:30 am »
I have had complaints in the past also.  The eye is very stupid, but maybe they gave a sexual favor to Will Wright?

Offline Poised

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 06:06:15 am »
/agree, that eye is weak, how did it ever get featured ??
Not only does it completely lack imagination, and by that I mean every freaking game by every freaking company have the eye as the mark of evil, every game, I understand that the lord of the rings book was fantastic, but to copy the eye to such an extend all the freaking time is really starting to bore me, but it also show no creativity at all, just an enlarged eyeball on a hidden body, with so many awesome creatures out there how the heck did this one end up as a good idea for a special mention ?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 06:09:19 am by Poised »

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 06:07:47 am »
First, don't be surprised if this gets merged, it really didn't need it's own thread.

Second, eye color itself turned out really cool. Where is the mouth? You can't see any other parts. I could not have made this so I think it was pretty good myself. They make choices based on something unusual, different and maybe difficult to make.

Offline Poised

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 06:21:47 am »
The eye is made by reducing the spine to 2 links, then enlarging the eye on it, only 2 parts are needed, here I made the double evil eye wooooo, and the evil mouth .... yawn. Total time spent creating ... 1 minute for both.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 06:24:09 am by Poised »

Offline Parkaboy

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 06:30:59 am »
I gave up the "Featured" feature. Almost everything featured sucks. They aren't putting much effort on finding good content.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 07:02:21 am »
I gave up the "Featured" feature. Almost everything featured sucks. They aren't putting much effort on finding good content.

I wouldn't say that. I've added several people as buddies because I've seen great stuff from them featured. Don't forget that GS members are featured way more often than normal. But yeah, that eye is ridiculous, and it's not the first.

Offline NGW

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo Hub
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 07:23:48 am »
I do wish there wasn't an achievement for getting featured though. I'm a fan of achievements in games and all, but when it comes down to things that very select few people can get, it just kinda makes it seem near impossible to actually get them all.

Consider the number of users, the number of submitted creatures...the odds of actually being picked, or at least being noticed in some way is really..really small.

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 07:35:20 am »
yes, that one achievement almost contradicts what ww says about the "everyone can participate in creation" mentality of the game.

In order to get it, you 'need to be an artist'

Ofcourse no one prevents me from just creating my half-realised creatures and if I don't mind about that particular achievement : I don't have to complain about it. But it seems odd.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 07:58:35 am »
Well not really CosmicD.

You clearly don't need to be 'an artist' to get featured, that eye proves that pretty well ;)

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 08:14:35 am »
we could make a silly thing in GS and then everyone just votes green on it.

Then add a comment that you do not need to be an artist to be on the featured list..just popular....LOL
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline NGW

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo Hub
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 08:20:52 am »
I volunteer to make it  :D

Yeah..I want that achievement out of the way =>_>=