Author Topic: SUPER HIGH Graphics hack  (Read 15139 times)

Offline Goomashroom

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
Re: SUPER HIGH Graphics hack
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2008, 12:43:17 pm »
do you have to start a new game for the changes to take effect? (like we had to do with the space fix mod)

Offline Robertbobby91

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Don't forget to vote.
    • View Profile
    • If silence is golden, then my house is pyrite
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2008, 04:03:55 pm »
crap, I forgot to mentions something like that.

A noticed that when you go to a new system something felt different, but I couldn't tell, so I really would mmaybe go to a new system to procedurally generate the new results.
Visit my blog: http://robertbobby91.blogspot.com/

SAT: Critical Reading: 680 Math: 720,  Writing: 690,  essay: 12
WOOT! 2090 TOTAL!!!!

Offline TDKenyon

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
    • Neu Age
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 05:24:03 pm »
Perhaps the graphics cache file makes a difference? If something is already loaded into the cache, it may not load and be rendered much petter. Details could, logically, only be rendered by what is saved in the cache.

Just a guess.

Offline Robertbobby91

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Don't forget to vote.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2008, 05:50:16 pm »
I know I saww something like "max graphic cache"

I hacked it to allow more space.

Don't know what that does though.

I think that's the faster load times. More space to load files, hence speed.

WOOT! 2090 TOTAL!!!!

Offline TDKenyon

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
    • Neu Age
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2008, 06:31:48 pm »
Yeah, it's a package in the AppData folder. GraphicsCache.package. Mine is a gig, which is what I allowed. It's just where stuff is stored for faster load times, which is what my point was. Perhaps if you clear it (deleting, I've heard, doesn't cause problems; Spore will make a new one) you'll get better results.

Offline Robertbobby91

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Don't forget to vote.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2008, 07:02:31 pm »
thanks man, I'll try it later.  ;D

UPDATE

For all future purposes, I'll be investing time into making the effects work for all. Some seem to have a difference, while others do not.

I also think I'm onto something for adding a semi-water phase of sorts.

Mod edit: Please don't bump thread with updates.  Just modify your original post.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 01:12:34 am by Danzik »

WOOT! 2090 TOTAL!!!!

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2008, 02:56:26 am »
That's cool Rob, thanks for looking into it :)
A good way to test it is to stand in one place where you have a good mix of things close to you and far away, with a few effects visible. You then quick-save the game (Ctrl+S) and start snapping a few without moving the creature or camera at all.
Then you exit the game without saving, do the update, delete the cache file etc. then re-enter the game, load, and start taking pictures straight away - again without moving the creature or camera.
That way you will get very similar pictures so they're easier to compare :)

Offline Kolath

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2008, 11:16:54 am »
Use www.filefront.com for game files.  It is a great hosting service and has none of the stupid queues that fileplanet has.

Offline Robertbobby91

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Don't forget to vote.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2008, 06:25:10 pm »
That's cool Rob, thanks for looking into it :)
A good way to test it is to stand in one place where you have a good mix of things close to you and far away, with a few effects visible. You then quick-save the game (Ctrl+S) and start snapping a few without moving the creature or camera at all.
Then you exit the game without saving, do the update, delete the cache file etc. then re-enter the game, load, and start taking pictures straight away - again without moving the creature or camera.
That way you will get very similar pictures so they're easier to compare :)

yes, I did this an I think all I did was increase the maximum number of terrain "quads" present in a certain area.

Essentially, I made the terrain smoother.

WOOT! 2090 TOTAL!!!!

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2008, 09:48:49 pm »
No offense, but do you have any idea what you're doing, while you're editing these files?........

I've looked through your files, and honestly there are a lot of things you've turned on that shouldn't be turned on.

Not to mention, I think you inadvertantly turned on asymmetry for everyone with this "mod."
Not only that, but I think you're also wasting a lot of extra memory... potentially causing possible memory leaks and an eventual game crash for anyone playing long enough.

AND... I don't know if you meant to have two of the same files, but you do... and so if everyone adds both of them, one is taking priority over the other, and basically people have this unused file on their computer.

But thanks for the info, I'm studying what you did at the moment and I might fix this 'mod' up in order to take advantage of what it was meant to do, rather than what it is really doing.

Offline Robertbobby91

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Don't forget to vote.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2008, 10:16:19 pm »
I prefer the term "monkeys with guns". Well, I warned of what you speak of none the less.

But yes, I have no Idea what I'm doing. I didn't even look at the commands but for a few seconds. If it seemed interesting, I turned it on or made it true.

Also, there not the same file, within each is one file. Edit 1 has graphics I believe, and edit 2 has something else.

Also, I can't get asymmetry going. Please help me if you can.

By all means though, play around with it. I encourage it.

I'm currently searching for some files. I intend to make an insertion between creature and cell. Basically, limit the terrain to only seabed, and put all creatures on inf. flying, and put the height limit to ground level. This should simulate swimming by an illusion.

WOOT! 2090 TOTAL!!!!

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2008, 10:34:45 pm »
How much space does the file take up now as opposed to what it used to take up (just list a file size for the cache before and after the modification)?

EX:

before:XX megabytes

after: XXXX megabytes
Spore! Star Wars! Dinosaurs!
Fanfic!

I blame what I call the Scopes Law (When discussing evolution in the presence of a creationist, the discussion always becomes a religious debate).

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2008, 10:54:22 pm »
I prefer the term "monkeys with guns". Well, I warned of what you speak of none the less.

But yes, I have no Idea what I'm doing. I didn't even look at the commands but for a few seconds. If it seemed interesting, I turned it on or made it true.

Also, there not the same file, within each is one file. Edit 1 has graphics I believe, and edit 2 has something else.

Also, I can't get asymmetry going. Please help me if you can.

By all means though, play around with it. I encourage it.

I'm currently searching for some files. I intend to make an insertion between creature and cell. Basically, limit the terrain to only seabed, and put all creatures on inf. flying, and put the height limit to ground level. This should simulate swimming by an illusion.

Hehe, after looking through the files you made, I definitely realized that you were just experimenting with everything...

I've got a definite clue as to what you did to make the game look better, specifically the planet terrain and water effects... but you really weirded out some of the options... honestly I'm not even sure how the game isn't crashing all the time. :-\
AND I'm not sure where you came up with a few of the variables that you added into the files.

And yes, both files are the same. You spliced the two into one, and ended up with two files with the same things (different numerical values) in them.
At least it is in your second upload of the files... I didn't download them from your first post.

I'm not sure how asymmetry works yet, I haven't looked into that mod, I'm not as interested in it.

But overall, I'm going to wait a while before fixing this 'mod,' and give people with more time on their hands a chance to get a whack at it.
There is already an up and coming tool known as "SporeEdit" that looks promising... although I can't seem to get it to work in it's current version.
AND I think someone may have found Spore's debug mode, which should allow easier experimenting.

Offline Robertbobby91

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Don't forget to vote.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2008, 11:50:08 pm »
Thanks.

Also, I didn't upload anything but my first post file. Others have taken the liberty to diversify the download options.

WOOT! 2090 TOTAL!!!!