Author Topic: Spore did work, but now it doesn't  (Read 6367 times)

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
Re: Spore did work, but now it doesn't
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 01:56:00 am »
Usually game installs give a specific error for lacking diskspace, but at this point anything is worth a shot. It could be there's a bug with the space detection in the installer, however unlikely.
It's really weird.

I know that itunes can cause a CD drive to stop working completely, but as OpDDay says it's not likely to cause this.

We're kinda running out of options and are grasping at straws here. Have you tried a system restore back to a date where it worked btw.?

Offline Zram84

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 07:23:58 am »
Ok I'm narrowing down the problem, I uninstalled it again this time using add/remove programs in the control panel and saving my game data and having that removed too. When  I started the game up it Worked! but it didn't have any of my data. So I put my saved data back where it was supposed to be and it didn't work. So I did the PIA thing and used trial and error. So far i've been able to put every file in except for the Game0 file in the spore file of the application data file. However, when I individually move my planet .spo to the game0 file spore still works, but I my saved planet isn't in the galaxy menu. So I can play spore now, but the problem is still a mystery and I fear that it will happen again unless I really figure out what's going on. Got any thoughts? Also I don't want take credit for this, this was given to me as a suggestion over at Spore Forums by Al B Bach.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 06:53:09 am »
Well if your old savegame got corrupted for whatever reason (which seems to be the cause) then there's probably not much you can do to bring it back. Many things can cause corruption, but the most likely is a problem with your HDD.
So if you did do that checkdisk and all the faulty sectors have been marked up, it shouldn't happen again unless the HDD is damaged further at a later time.
If you're feeling anxious that it might happen again, I guess the best precaution would be to take regular backups of your savegames (copy it somewhere else after each session, maybe store it online or on a CD-RW, USB memory module or simply another HDD).

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 07:14:25 am »
I was having problems with spore not working after having installed the patch and then un-installed and re-installed to get rid of the patch.
The trick that got it working for me again was removing the Pollination.package from Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\SPORE
The only thing I lost by doing that was the contents of the Everything tab in Sporepedia.