Author Topic: For Caryl: What we DO like about Spore  (Read 20381 times)

Offline jarnomiedema

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
Re: For Caryl: What we DO like about Spore
« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2008, 03:02:25 pm »
I'm currently experiencing a lot of problems with blurry textures outside of the editor, despite having a very good graphics cards, so that's somewhat hampering my experience, but that hasn't prevented me from enjoying the following things (besides, I know the problem WILL be solved eventually, so I'm not too worried, I can be a little bit more patient):

- The fact that I find myself browsing the Sporepedia almost every day, trying to find new stuff to download into my game.
- Being amazed by some of the stuff people create.
- Loving the fact that some people enjoy the stuff I created and are kind enough to drop a comment.
- Starting out in tribal and seeing that my starting position is located a mere ten meters away from a crashed UFO! :D
- Terraforming and developing my empire (despite the many cries for help).
- During the creature stage, watching a nearby planet rise overhead after darkness, or seeing the sun rise.
- Being confronted by a creature I had created some time ago in the CC as an Epic. It was vicious! ;D
- My favorite editor of them all: the UFO editor!

In short, despite some of the problems, Spore is still one of the most awesome games ever created and I can't wait to see all the little glitches and problems worked out to make it an even more awesome experience!

Offline Lucky

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2008, 03:08:15 pm »
You guys are making me wish I had time to play the game again.  I haven't played since before ship (ah... the life of a game developer...)

This thread has been really awesome for the whole team.  Thanks again.

-caryl

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2008, 03:44:22 pm »
You guys are making me wish I had time to play the game again.  I haven't played since before ship (ah... the life of a game developer...)

This thread has been really awesome for the whole team.  Thanks again.

-caryl

I know the feeling, almost, I'm studying game design (building prof portfolio to hope and snag an actual job) right now and I haven't had hardly any time to play... and I probably plaid more than I should have.

What I really love is how basically most of the input I gave during development on what I wanted came true  ;D
Specifically:
Eyeball Plants (building an in game collection now)
Rotation on the feet
extended eyeball part sizes so I could make this:
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=sast-500061509916

And just the fact that I could make a Holy Cow shrine for my cow people rocks:
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=sast-500053138876

*Also, graphics, sounds, gameplay, etc etc (a  lot to love)

Offline Atarr

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2008, 04:08:14 pm »
  • I love the terraforming in this game. I like seeing just playing around with terraforming tools and seeing what happens to a planet (especially sea levels) as I use them. Plus there's nothing more satisfying than melting an enemies homeworld with the heat ray and destroying their cities with volcanoes.
  • I love the little details, especially the actions of citizens in the civ phase. I was watching parades and fights breaking out in one of my military cities and it's brilliant to see my guys having a life of their own.
  • Space is my favourite phase. One of my favourite games used to be Frontier*. I liked exploring that galaxy but it was overwhelmingly huge** and impossible to explore too far from Earth without cheating.  The space phase reminds me a lot of Frontier*** but Spore's galaxy is a lot more managable and a lot more dynamic. I like the fact that in Spore the galaxy is smaller, has wormholes to allow faster travel and that I don't have to worry about drive failure. I definitely love the fact there are a lot more ways to interact with the galaxy in Spore. Spore's galaxy is just the right size, big but not too big.

*Still is actually, I use WinUAE occasionaly.
**513,982,470 star systems apparantly.
***Mainly exploring the galaxy, sightseeing, upgrading the ship.

Offline Gzillafan1

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2008, 06:20:37 pm »
What I love
-The fact that I can recreate almost every Godzilla character and epicize them
-Cell stage is relaxing and funny.Sometimes I just cant stop laughing
-Creature stage is breath-taking.I love the sunrise and sunset.I got into the habit of clicking the mating call button during these two times of the day.
-I love the small things,the little details.I noticed fire flies at night,the obiance(sp?) during the day and night
-Sporepedia is addictive.I check it every day to see if I have comments on my content.
-The sounds of the waves when I'm by the ocean are beautiful.
-The player is in charge of the game.Im able to choose whats in it.

***-The thing I love most about spore is that It has changed the way I think about life here and throughout the cosmos.I now love Space and everything in it.I love the idea of life and evolution.Spore has taught me so much and thank you Maxis team for an out of this world game :)

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2008, 07:00:52 pm »
Something I recently rememebred I love. When I was playing creature stage I decided to check out how the flying mechanic works so I just added some insect wings on and was pleasently suprised that flying worked completely I was expecting maybe flying just mean hover and moving parrellel to the ground. The time this lasts depending on wing level. Instead it really feels like you are flying and the sight of a flock of my creatures soaring through the air looked fantastic. I instantly upgraded to the highest level of wing as soon as I could.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 06:54:27 pm by Cobra »

Offline BinaryDigit

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2008, 07:52:12 pm »
Caryl,

Thank you so much for all your hard work.  I can still remember when I first heard about Spore years ago.  The concept of the game truly blew my mind!  The audacity of Maxis to take on such an enormous undertaking!  The tenacity of folks like yourself that actually made it a reality!  It really is amazing.  It really has been worth the wait.  (I had the game on reserve at GameStop for over three years!)

Things I love about spore:

1. How easily moddable the game is.  I had a bit of a problem with the frequency of the attacks/raids/eco-disasters.  Using a tool originally designed for modding The Sims, I was able to lessen the frequency of these events and in so doing, increase the fun factor ten-fold.  Thanks very much for keeping us modders in mind when creating the game.  We love you for it!

2. The massively single player pollenation. In my opinion this is on the one aspect of Spore that makes it truly Great with a capitol G.  I love knowing that the creatures I interact with, be they cells, or sapient bloodthirsty Spode lovers, were created by another player just like me.  (Being able to add buddies based on their in-game content is pretty great too!)

3.  Watching the moon rise over my tribal hut, and knowing that one day I will walk on its surface.  And bring atmosphere to its barren skies, and build a moon-base from which I can ascend to the darkness between the stars.

4.  All the little things.  Like hearing my creature speak for the first time, or stumbling across a crashed starship before I have even mastered fire, or running into a creature that I created with the creature creator.

5.  Filling the atmosphere of my enemy's homeworld with greenhouse gasses.  Watching as his cities are consumed by the rising tides, before erasing his final city from the face of the planet with my mega-laser.

6.  The open, honest communication you and your team have had with us every day of this grueling process.  In the years since I first heard of Spore, I have loved watching all of the videos, reading the articles, and pouring over every piece of information I could find.  Seeing that communication continue post release is more refreshing than I can express.  Thanks so very much!

7.  Everything, everything, everything about this amazing game.  I could spend the next 2 hours writing an itemized list a mile long, extolling all the virtues of this game.  Alas, I've spent the last 3 hours playing Spore, and its time for me to call it a night.

One last time: THANK YOU!  Don't let the trolls get you down.  They've had the last few years to build up an unattainable ideal in their minds.  Their criticisms can never change one simple fact:  you did it!  You pulled it off, and it is arguably the greatest game ever made.  You and your team should be damn proud of what you've accomplished.

V/R,
BinaryDigit

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #112 on: September 18, 2008, 05:55:12 am »
When I was playing creature stage I decided to check out how the flying mechanic works so I just some incest wings on and was pleasently suprised that flying worked completely I was expecting maybe flying just mean hover and moving parrellel to the ground.

...*cough*...

Offline KL0k

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 18, 2008, 06:51:28 am »
the moment i saw one of my own creatures was fun as hell;

my hornet was on one of my planets the epic monster in tribalstage, and another time one of my spiderlike creatures sneaked in and stole the food out of my tribes storage, and that made me laugh out loud :D

Offline Sporegonian

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 18, 2008, 07:11:44 am »
I have to agree with the other people in this thread- seeing your own creations is amazing!  My very first game, during creature stage, I got attacked by an epic of the first creature I ever made with the CC ([edit] Just so happens, the creature that is my avatar), and it made my day!

One thing I don't like- the fact that I have a very high chance of failing my classes this year...

« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 07:14:02 am by Sporegonian »

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 18, 2008, 08:50:34 am »
When I was playing creature stage I decided to check out how the flying mechanic works so I just some incest wings on and was pleasently suprised that flying worked completely I was expecting maybe flying just mean hover and moving parrellel to the ground.

...*cough*...

I'm hoping Cobra meant Insect personally ;)
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations."

David Friedman.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/econundrum

Offline primadog

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2008, 09:01:22 am »

I remember nine years back when I found Gundam Century (a mod for StarCraft) and was at awe at how the creator was able to change Starcraft into a totally different game by designing his own units.  I tried to dabble into this, but StarEdit was too difficult for me to get much done.

Nine years later, Spore arrived and the dream is reignited.  Not only I get to customize my game, I get customize it with ease.  All I need to do in order to build an ancient empire rts is a few clicks in the building editors and make a quick sporecast (shameless plug).  That's what I find amazing about spore -- it enable us commoners to do something what used to take months by experienced teams to complete.  That. Is. Amazing.

[Figured this fit the theme]

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #117 on: September 18, 2008, 08:47:39 pm »
Caryl,

I love Spore because it's   And I am a

But I hate it because I don't have time to post on the forum as much now.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 18, 2008, 09:05:00 pm »
I really like that the patch was quick and effective for so many people. I just wish it worked for me.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2008, 06:18:41 am »
The patch seems to have created some problems for some people, but apart from that I LOVE what was put in it :)

The patch notes were a thrill to read through, because they showed that the devs really have been listening to us :-* It didn't address everything, but it addressed a great many things we've uttered concerns about here and gave me a confidence boost that it'll all be looked at with time.
THANK YOU! ;D