Author Topic: 500,000 Stars  (Read 16954 times)

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
500,000 Stars
« on: May 30, 2008, 01:28:37 pm »
There's been discussion about the number of stars in a Spore galaxy.  It used to be 500,000 stars, but recently it was said to be a couple million. I posted a link to a picture I made showing 500,000 stars in an unrelated thread but it largely went unnoticed.  Darkwanderer suggested I started a new topic on this, so I thought I might as well. 

Out of boredom and the quest for learning, I wrote a quick little flash program to draw 500,000 stars to show just how many stars that is.  Just click the big white star to start drawing the stars.   You can right click and zoom in to see it closer.  When zoomed you can left click drag the image to pan around. 

STARS

Keep in mind, if there really are 2 million stars, this is only a quarter of the stars in a Spore galaxy. 

I did it in Flash, instead of posting just the picture for two reasons.
1: I like doing things the hard way.
2: It also demonstrates the power of procedural generation. 

There is 1 non-black pixel in every 4x4 grid.  There are 707x707 4x4 pixel grids, which is roughly 500,000 stars and is a res of 2828x2828.  That's about a 23MB image.  The flash swf file used to draw it is 7kB.  It would be 3kB if I didn't embed the font. 

Offline tompayne

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
Re: 500,000 Stars
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 01:36:34 pm »
thanks for putting that into perspective.  i was having a hard time wrapping my brain around the idea of so many stars to explore.
Soylent Green is people.

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 01:37:34 pm »
500,000 in general terms is a lot.
But it makes things more varied (if things already were), and I think it would give the galaxy a more realistic size.

I say at least 2 to 5 million as a minimum.
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Holiace

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Leader of Tuerero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 01:58:46 pm »
I think that 100k planets and 5x bigger would be better, actually...
Victor 6om6a, the Leader of the Tuerero system (http://www.sporewiki.com/Content:Tuerero)

Offline Ciddler

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
    • View Profile
    • My Spore!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 02:05:01 pm »
Well, looks like I will be PRETTY BUSY trying to conquer the universe.

Offline 0goober0

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 02:06:14 pm »
wow... :o

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 02:08:09 pm »
Note that each star can host 0-4 (I think) planets in the game.  Any of which can contain life/the potential for life.

If we take a best-case scanario for all of our 500K stars, that does turn out to be 2 million planets with up to 16 (don't remember the source for this) species of creature.

16X2M = 32 million creatures to explore if every star's 4 life supporting planets has 16 creatures.  This would require many many many creations across millions of people.  

Of course, the chance to find habitable planets will be far decreased from this value (who knows how many planets will have life).  Still.  If Spore sells even 500,000 units (1 percent of The Sims, and each person makes one single creature, that's enough to populate the entire galaxy, assuming the chance to find life in a system is less than 25 percent.  

Now, imagine if Spore sells 50 million like The Sims.  One's galaxy gets pretty crowded; to the point that there are far more creatures than the theoretical max of a 500k galaxy could support.

Okay, enough babbling.  I'm just thinking of the number of man hours that go into fully inhabiting a galaxy 100 percent with 16 creatures a planet (with all 4 planets habitable)... assuming a total creation time of even 10 minutes a creature (that's real low) is 5.34 million man-hours of work... 3 times more than if 50 people worked on Spore's programming 24 hours a day for 4 years straight (longer than the full-on development cycle of Spore at EA).  The game really has the potential to make use of free, creative labor with us making all of the content.

So from the strength of procedural generation to employing the player to provide artwork for the masses, Spore has the makings of "the last game you'll ever play."  Hopefully expansion packs make things less monotonous after you've played the game for more than a year.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 02:14:39 pm »
Remember that being more realistic doesnt necessarily make it more fun. Being a game, an over-abundance of stars/planets would actually make it impossibly hard to recall and return to places we have already visited. Though I assume there is probably a 'bookmark planet' and 'space-jump to location' feature, my point still stands, I uh... I think?

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 02:19:29 pm »
Remember that being more realistic doesnt necessarily make it more fun. Being a game, an over-abundance of stars/planets would actually make it impossibly hard to recall and return to places we have already visited. Though I assume there is probably a 'bookmark planet' and 'space-jump to location' feature, my point still stands, I uh... I think?

There is a function to do that. Once you visit a planet, it goes in your record book along with all of the life and information you gathered about the planet.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline 0goober0

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 02:32:25 pm »
yea, that's why when you've showed the space phase recently it has lines drawn all over it. I'm assuming that's where you've been so far.

Note that each star can host 0-4 (I think) planets in the game.  Any of which can contain life/the potential for life.

If we take a best-case scanario for all of our 500K stars, that does turn out to be 2 million planets with up to 16 (don't remember the source for this) species of creature.

16X2M = 32 million creatures to explore if every star's 4 life supporting planets has 16 creatures.  This would require many many many creations across millions of people. 

Of course, the chance to find habitable planets will be far decreased from this value (who knows how many planets will have life).  Still.  If Spore sells even 500,000 units (1 percent of The Sims, and each person makes one single creature, that's enough to populate the entire galaxy, assuming the chance to find life in a system is less than 25 percent. 

Now, imagine if Spore sells 50 million like The Sims.  One's galaxy gets pretty crowded; to the point that there are far more creatures than the theoretical max of a 500k galaxy could support.

Okay, enough babbling.  I'm just thinking of the number of man hours that go into fully inhabiting a galaxy 100 percent with 16 creatures a planet (with all 4 planets habitable)... assuming a total creation time of even 10 minutes a creature (that's real low) is 5.34 million man-hours of work... 3 times more than if 50 people worked on Spore's programming 24 hours a day for 4 years straight (longer than the full-on development cycle of Spore at EA).  The game really has the potential to make use of free, creative labor with us making all of the content.

So from the strength of procedural generation to employing the player to provide artwork for the masses, Spore has the makings of "the last game you'll ever play."  Hopefully expansion packs make things less monotonous after you've played the game for more than a year.
They actually said pretty recently that there would be multiple millions of stars and that the average planet would probably have about 4-5 planets. Also, I don't know where you heard 16 creatures per planet but that sucks.  That's not very many creatures at all.....Spore planets may be smaller than regular planets but still...Even if only one species per planet makes it into Civ phase that means only 15 other types of creatures running around the planet?  That's not very many at all....

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 03:02:19 pm »
They said each star would have about 4 planets on average which means some could have 0 others could have 8.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Holiace

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Leader of Tuerero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 03:06:20 pm »
They said each star would have about 4 planets on average which means some could have 0 others could have 8.

Yup, that would be a good assumption!

Too bad all planets are the same size...
Victor 6om6a, the Leader of the Tuerero system (http://www.sporewiki.com/Content:Tuerero)

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 03:24:48 pm »
Are they? They also said your planets would vary between 400 and 700 somethings (I think) so I'm guessing moons are either smaller than that or only big planets have moons.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Holiace

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Leader of Tuerero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 03:28:52 pm »
Are they? They also said your planets would vary between 400 and 700 somethings (I think) so I'm guessing moons are either smaller than that or only big planets have moons.

My planets would be 400-700 what?

Offline Holiace

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Leader of Tuerero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 03:32:28 pm »
The units weren't specified but the planets were once reported to range from 400 to 700 spore units with I think 500 being average.

Spore units?