Poll

Dead

-
0 (0%)
-
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Tragdante - Turn 11  (Read 29880 times)

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
Re: Tragdante - Turn 11
« Reply #195 on: January 21, 2009, 05:33:04 pm »
Tragdante - Turn 11 - Splinter Cells

In the space above Earth, as two other Armadas jumped into orbit. They seemed to have a different collective thought. One's was to annihilate the humans immediately. The other believed they could be reasoned with and saved. It seemed that for the first time in seven billion years, the Collective might be splintering. One of them brought in a Hallucinater, which covered the planet in a veil of an illusion depicting the sky and stars as being normal. Meanwhile, our fears were confirmed, as the two Armadas began to fire upon each other.

They released hundreds of thousands of Scavengers, the Tragdante standard fighter design. As the swarms met, huge amounts of firing occured, both visible, and invisible. Then the greater ships of the Armada came closer, and began to fire upon each other. Unbelievable amounts of Tragdante blood spilled out into the void, as the two Armadas ripped each other to shreds with all forms of weaponry, be they kinetic, nuclear, or gravitronic.

Our Armada is unsure of what course of action to take. We have not witnessed a civil war in many, many years.

On the surface, we have simply expanded ourselves, as the humans go home. There, we will infect their children and their spouses, and everyone they come in contact with. Thankfully, we've still gone unnoticed.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 05:38:32 pm by Razonatair »

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 21, 2009, 05:39:56 pm »
If you're wondering why some of the Tragdante split, since no one really agreed on a plan, I represented this disagreement as the igniting of a civil war. Slarti can order the 'Destroy all Humans' Armada, while I will give control of the 'Reason with Them' Armada to smjjanes

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 21, 2009, 06:24:17 pm »
I guess one group would be the 'war hawks' and the others the 'peacekeepers'.

Also, only one civil war in ten billion years? Maybe another one or two would be good.

Tragdante - Turn 11a - Moral Schism

Despite bieng a collective, the Tragdante as individuals were still very much individuals and could easily disagree or give thier own opinion or have thier own views.

As would inevitably happen in a collective mind like the Tragdante, especially with a Galaxy sized empire, groups would become separated for a long period and develop thier own ideologies.

The origins of the EcoPreservers origionate with a previous civil war that lasted about two billion years (it went on and off and fighting didn't really end until two billion years later). By the time that civil war begun to cool down, there were already planets showing the spark of life. One group of survivors of that civil war, some of which were among the most knowledgeable in the organic technology of thiers and the deep DNA memory they have, decided to observe these worlds with the new spark of life. It's not that they hadn't seen this before, just that they hadn't seen it start happening so widespread and at the same time. Since they saw these worlds as a sort of massive laboratory to see what nature might invent. At first, through a few billion years, they might have been indifferent about whether that life died or not, but as that life on the various planets evolved, they saw the beauty and potential in the lifeforms. Eventually, sapient life began evolving, some were extremely peaceful, some were incredibly violent, others somewhere in between. It was from these alien civilzations that the Tragdante developed thier ban on nuclear weapons after seeing nuclear exchanges devastate planets, sometimes ecosystems recovered after a very long time, sometimes not. Of course though, some of these sapient biengs were either peaceful enough or smart enough (I'm NOT saying we humans as a species are stupid, although some members can be stupid) to avoid destroying themselves with an all out nuclear war. At some point, the Tragdante made contact with those species. In the proccess, they learned that sentient biengs were capable of reasoning (just WHAT they reason is a completely different deal) as the Tragdante themselves were.

At one point when several species had come together, they took the nuclear ban to another level, they wanted even non-interstellar flight capable species to have the nuclear weapon ban as well. So, they developed a kind of task force to prevent an all out nuclear exchange from happening and get those nuclear weapons destroyed or get the species to recognize the error of thier ways. Keeping nukes as an asteroid deterrent was still allowed and was done on some colony worlds.

Now that the history is over, zoom into the Sol system:

One of these two new armadas arriving was of the EcoPreservers group. They had come in response to some requests among the Tragdante on the ground and aboard the Empire ships that perhaps the humans could be reasoned with as it was only a small group that were threatening nuclear war and that many werent involved in this. While they had come as a peaceful group, they still came with the standard weaponry (in case the planetbound species decided to fire on them). However, they hadn't expected another group to pop in. This second group saw the EcoPreservers and for some reason that would be alien to us humans, they decided to fire on the EcoPreservers fleet, who of course, had to defend themselves, and an all out firefight ignited in Earth orbit. In the core of the group, some ships were preparing for a possible expidition planetside, but nothing had been decided 100% yet, and the other group could easily shoot them out of the sky.

Sorry Slarti, somebody had to fire the first shot...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 06:34:45 pm by smjjames »

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 21, 2009, 06:25:56 pm »
seven billion. If slarti doesn't feel like taking the part, you two could agree to something. You would also need to hide the existence of these species, since they would've been stamped out by Tragdante looking to use their world. Nuclear weapons are prohibited only on 'live' worlds, that is worlds with life be it Tragdante or otherwise.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 06:28:30 pm by Razonatair »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 21, 2009, 06:39:10 pm »
seven billion. If slarti doesn't feel like taking the part, you two could agree to something. You would also need to hide the existence of these species, since they would've been stamped out by Tragdante looking to use their world. Nuclear weapons are prohibited only on 'live' worlds, that is worlds with life be it Tragdante or otherwise.

I added some more.

Also, there are still Tragdante on the ground and the Empire ships are still there (and may have better weapons and defenses), so if we were to try to nuke the earth with those still there, it would cause a riot in the Tragdante central council or whatever they have as a form of government.

Plus I think we've forgotten about the Tragdante on Mars, they are probably also watching.

Edit: LOL, I just got an ad for Master of Arts in Diplomacy.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 21, 2009, 06:44:21 pm »
This mostly depends on weither or not Slarti is up to it. DocZ might want to take the position though.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 21, 2009, 07:55:02 pm »
I'm not a writer.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 21, 2009, 08:06:31 pm »
Well, the best thing would be to resolve the conflict.

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 22, 2009, 08:19:02 am »
There are some things I need to know.
Why are we afraid to reveal our presence?
Why is destroying all the nukes bad?  I didn't even advocate killing all the humans just destroying their means to destroy the planet.
We need more background information to understand why this planet is so important to us.  Is life just that rare?  Why do we care anyway?

We of the Militant Sovereignty are willing to declare a ceasefire to discuss our options.  Realize however, failure to take this planet in a sustainable fashion is not an option.
Failure is never an option.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 22, 2009, 09:21:52 am »
There are some things I need to know.
Why are we afraid to reveal our presence?
Why is destroying all the nukes bad?  I didn't even advocate killing all the humans just destroying their means to destroy the planet.
We need more background information to understand why this planet is so important to us.  Is life just that rare?  Why do we care anyway?

We of the Militant Sovereignty are willing to declare a ceasefire to discuss our options.  Realize however, failure to take this planet in a sustainable fashion is not an option.
Failure is never an option.

I agree here, we need more background info.

The EcoPreservers accept the ceasefire and at the same time shouted at the Militant Soverignity "Then why the hell did you fire on us? Especially right in front of the Empire ships?" (You don't really have to answer this Slarti).

They ordered thier captains to cease fire and braced against any previously fired weapons that were still en route*.

*Even with thier advanced technology, they can't change the laws of physics, so there could be some that were still fired before the cease fire was accepted by both sides which couldn't be self destructed in flight.

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 22, 2009, 02:18:03 pm »
.....and now we've jumped to spore-roleplaying-esque ceasefire signing.

You've jumped the shark.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 22, 2009, 04:43:08 pm »
I need variation to avoid the possibility of pulling a Hydro.

They could've long since been able to break the 'laws' of physics by utilizing quantum physics or hyperdimensional physics, but they stopped their technology advancement long ago. Like I said, time travel is one of the things that are outlawed.

The Tragdante hold Earth in high regard, partially because worlds with life on them are becoming more and more scarce. The scarcity of life is an exponentially advancing thing, as more and more worlds die off for various reasons, sometimes for their stars becoming too hot, sometimes for other things. While this is part of it, the Tragdante value more what Earth may hold.

Their records of Earth show that the planet was once a barren world. This all changed when scanners indicated another space-faring race approaching the planet. Before the Tragdante could arrive, the race was long gone, but had left behind a world with a huge amount of water. Planets so small don't naturally have such amounts of water, and the fact that Earth was barren pre-race, it was assumed that the race had brought life to Earth. The Tragdante began to hunt these races, which went from solar system to solar system, seeding life on the different worlds in extremely short amounts of time. However, they didn't want the race, they wanted the ability to create living worlds. But, they were never able to catch them.

The only real problem with the Tragdante is that they require living worlds to breed. They discovered long ago that attempting to terraform a world was far too energy-inefficient, and would be almost pointless to do so. In the end, the world would also simply decline back into its dead state.

And so, as the number of breeding grounds declines faster and faster, they are more and more desperate to find suitable living worlds. Earth, with its ungodly amount of life, water, and the things that keep them alive, is called a 'Paradise' world. Earth's relative youth also ensures that this world would survive many more billions of years, buying time for the Tragdante to prepare for an inter-galactic voyage. Earth's location also helps with this preparation, as it is so close to the edge of the galaxy.

While you may ask why don't the Tragdante simply travel to another galaxy over the course of a few million years? The answer would be that their universal laws prevent spread via FTL. This means they must spread to another galaxy at sub-light speeds. While the Tragdante are very long-lived, they cannot survive for such a long span of time. Thus, the eventual idea to eject the Sol system from the galaxy, towards Andromeda. There, they hope that there will be untouched worlds to continue themselves.

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 22, 2009, 04:47:15 pm »
But why do they need to hide it?  If they have ships, why don't they send them in shooting the cities targeting only humans?  They've had billions of years, don't tell me they haven't figured this out.
This used to be a disease/maybe xenomorph game.  Now its just a "press a button, once, which is so large you can't miss" game.
Twas Brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 22, 2009, 04:55:42 pm »
It still mostly is, the orbital stuff just needs to be sorted out. They don't need to hide it, but it's mostly against their universal laws. They're not supposed to interfere at all unless necesary. The destruction of the satellites was deemed to be non-interference, in such a way as that doing it would appear as if another country would have done it. Forcing conventional war would also be a great boon.

At the same time, I'm not quite sure how to handle multicellular. I don't know if I should produce a map or what, among other things.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 22, 2009, 06:39:05 pm »
Grah. The Armada wipes out humanity, takes over world. Lockination.