Author Topic: dwarven fortress succesion game 3.0  (Read 59456 times)

Offline Shadowgandor

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
Re: dwarven fortress succesion game 3.0
« Reply #345 on: January 19, 2009, 08:08:26 am »
Yea, I'm sorry, but the fortress was boring as hell. The coolest parts were already done, there was no space left for some interesting building options, apart from that tower, all the dwarves seemed to lived under relative good conditions, everyone was just done and nothing happened :P

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 19, 2009, 08:57:22 am »
I'm pretty sure all you have to do right now is turn the game on, load the save, sit in the corner for two hours and come back to see your results.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 19, 2009, 09:43:36 am »
Actually I imagine the rudest thing you can do is teabag somebody while covered in...you know what, forget I ever said anything.

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 19, 2009, 04:51:27 pm »
Alright, I've gotten the save and things are well back underway.

Metropolis Arlitast, "FleshyTorches": 217

[Spring]

Ah, Arlitast at last! I have been looking forward to being here for the last few months, after hearing stories from countless traders and even a former leader! They weren't kidding when they said this place was busy. As far as I can see, dwarves are working hard to make this the grandest settlement of Gingnomal. I did notice that thongs were selling at double the price they were at home... I guess they like that sort of thing around here. As I took my spot in the office, one of the many things that was brought to my attention was that even the King was planning to move here eventually. Wouldn't that be grand? A fort I had a hand in would be seen by the eyes of the king! My last few outings have admittedly been less than king worthy, and this wasn't all my own works, but I'm glad I took the offer to rule for the year.

A functioning economy, too was new to me, outside of the Mountianhomes, I have little experience with such, but it seems my predecessors have made sure all was running smoothly and nothing seems to need any of my direct attention. This should be an easy year!

Ah, cave adaption. I saw several of the laborers vomiting as they went to work on the greenhouse one of my predecessors started. To combat this, I made several jobs that should get the laborers outside more and avoid cave adaption.

The first thing that really required my direct attention was the arrival of some elven traders. I had Olon tell their diplomat that we'll use as much damn wood as we please. I mean really, who are these elves think they are to tell us how much wood to use! They gladly took all of our unusable rope reed clothes for all of their wood logs though.

Shortly after the elves arrived, I heard this horrible roar. Taking a peek out the front doors, I saw it; a dragon on the horizon! I had never seen a dragon before in my life! I was awestruck, but a few laborers dragged me back to my office and told me not to worry about it. Later on that day the laborers returned to tell me that the dragon only killed two dogs, both which were chained up at the front door for protection, and that the dragon itself was torn to shreds by the weapons traps at the front doors. Dragon meat is surprisingly good.

Well, summer is nearly on us and a wave of migrants has arrived. This was a pretty easy season and I'm looking forward to what the summer holds!

[Summer]

Ah, summer... hot, dry and boring... I spent most of this season asleep. Nothing really happened of interest... oh wait, there was a slight foul up with moving goblin cages and they escaping, but the traps put a quick end to them...

The miners found something they said would improve the value of the fortress, but I didn't really pay attention, don't we have enough stone? I mean look at that tower to the north that grows daily.

Ah, the human caravan, they will buy stuff we actually have a surplus of, like the goblins' crappy leather clothes. They came and went without an issue, I made sure the trader told them to bring more barrels next time. I think the timber we're felling is better used for charcoal and low value metals aren't being melted fast enough to make a decent amount of barrels.

I found this under my pillow the next day, silly humans and their fascination with windows.

More migrants... I think one of them was confused, he tried crawling into MY bed! And I was still in it!

Last thing of importance this season; Kubuk was reelected as mayor. He did a fine job before, and he should too in the future. Also, I didn't want to rearrange his rooms to some new guy.

I'm going back to sleep, maybe Autumn will bring something that remotely seems like excitement.

[Fall]

Arlitast in autumn it is rather beautiful. And I've had plenty of time to enjoy it, since this season was just as boring as summer, maybe even more so as there were no cage freeing incidents.

The clerk was possessed early in the season. The kind of story a spirit has to tell in a place like this can't possibly be all that interesting. At least the soon to come king will be able to wear it, unlike that worthless hammer that was made months ago.

The caravan from the mountainhomes finally arrived, and they were a welcome sight. With all the useless bone goods sitting around, I decided it was a good time to fulfill the tribute requirement for the king. I guess I might have over done it, but at least all we have to do now is get some more roads down and the king should come along shortly after, but I'll leave that up to the next in charge. I'm nervous about meeting the king.

The traders from the mountainhomes left a list of what they're looking for next year, and it's much more reasonable than what the humans wanted.

Our two long term projects have also come to an end, the greenhouse is assembled and looking great, while the tower of pumps reaches to the clouds, almost like a finger from God.

Winter is soon to be here, and my reign soon to be over. I hope the Duke will want something else in the new season, he wanted nothing but trousers, three at a time, more and more trousers.... The treefellers worked faster than I expected though, so I started a project for wooden barrels, and to fill them, I reinstated the farming of the fields. With tons of wood, food, drink, fuel and more, we should have no problem getting through this winter.

[Winter]

The cold season, though it's not so cold here next to the ocean. Well, all went fine and my reign is finally at an end. I finally understand why leaders who go out alone to work their way to this level leave the forts to their own means to stay afloat. It truly is boring with very little to do. The only thing of interest that happened this season was the legions of kobold thieves that fled at the sight of our front door attack dogs.Well, I guess that's it, my time in Arlitast was interesting but now must come to a close. I wish luck to my successor in this fort of prosperity.

And that's another year finished. A few undocumented changes I made was a small expansion to the farms, we have tons of wood, being used for barrels, charcoal and potash for the farms. I shall pass the save on to Celd when I get the chance.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 06:54:00 pm by Yossitaru »
Virus Buster.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 20, 2009, 09:07:38 pm »
Can you post a Status picture?

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 20, 2009, 10:00:53 pm »

There you go; we're close nearing the 200 population mark!
Virus Buster.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 21, 2009, 03:29:40 pm »
O.o 150 animals again T_T

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 21, 2009, 05:02:38 pm »
How is cave adaption bad? Aside from the vomiting effect.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 21, 2009, 05:14:29 pm »
It means that Dwarves have a hard time coming to the surface. While they are vomiting, they are very vulnerable (Which is why cave adapted soldier are little better than guards)

Also, they gain an unhappy thought from it (either "was annoyed by the sun" or "was nauseated by the sun" if they vomit.) Gain enough unhappy thoughts, and they become unhappy. If they stay unhappy long enough, they either become melancholy(and commit suicide) or go berserk, trying to kill everything they see.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 21, 2009, 11:33:17 pm »
I'm pretty sure having enough happy thoughts counter the bad thoughts, a legendary dining room will pretty much overide most of the minor bad thoughts floating around.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 22, 2009, 12:40:41 am »
Yes. The the happy thoughts from the Dining room and from buying items should be enough to overcome the unhappy thoughts generated by what I am about to do to those kittens.

Offline Celdur

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 23, 2009, 08:49:58 am »
spring:
this year arilast is focused on the arival of the king and on finishing the kings tower.
and im the one in charge.

after a quick glance around the fort i noticed someone having trouble making wall corners...

it doesnt really matter who's fault it was but its still a rookie mistake...i wonder what former leaders we have had
anyway i fixed it now.

construction of the tower is going pretty smoothly,
apparently the pipe system is almost done besides the power supply and the water draining.
im making a water storage on top as well as a way to pump the water along the sides of the tower.

a goblin attack came today.
it caused a short delay in the construction of the tower but it was a very minor problem
ive never seen goblins run so fast.
video1
video2

i have started constructing the 1st floor of the tower as well as the wall surounding the towers garden
its going to be pretty colerfull and expensive as it will be the kings throne room

one of the crafters got a fey mood!
he made a bed worthy of kings...actualy that would be a good idea
although i dont think its very comfertable with all the glass and bone spikes

with amazing building speed the first floor is almost finished already.
and in the first season!

i hope we can keep this up
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

thats the first season

not allot of stuff happened so ill just keep being obsesed with building stuff...to keep myself busy

its fun

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 23, 2009, 09:37:30 am »
I'm pretty sure I plugged up the corners after I built the tower. Somone either built another one or a floor magicly undid itself.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 26, 2009, 08:17:25 pm »
Anythin' happenin' chelldur?

Offline Celdur

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 27, 2009, 04:38:50 am »
stuff is happening...just very slowly

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.