Poll

Do you sell hubcaps for a '72 Pinto hatchback?

Aye!
Nay!

Author Topic: Guidelines for Role Playing at Gaming Steve  (Read 48104 times)

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: Guidelines for Role Playing at Gaming Steve
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2009, 02:01:57 pm »
I think a section could be added on how the rp-starter and the players should work together would be helpful.   :)
Twas Brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2009, 02:11:26 pm »
That seems like something that would be better suited for the RP Creation Guide.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2009, 08:13:36 am »
Thank you Pat for keeping the Meta Game list updated. Not sure if everyone realizes that but it's really helpful. :)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2009, 08:43:37 pm »
Came across an interesting thing in the Brief Fantasy RP. People (myself included) suddenly began grabbing up the named portions of the world and attempted to detail every aspect of each kingdom and province. Nearly all of these places hadn't even been visited by the characters yet! And then I recalled the Medieval RP. The same thing happened and it contributed greatly to its failure. People ended up neglecting their story and character development in exchange for getting to make a kingdom. Basically people decided they would rather play a planet making game instead of an RP.

So what I was thinking was that we add a guideline about world creation. Basically it would advise players to keep themselves from trying to describe the world in too much detail too early. Maybe designate some names for far off places and short sentence-long summaries. The players can then work more detail into the actual story. You allow the players to describe these lands in-character; thus allowing them to exercise their creative ability and also expand their own characters' story. And then if people do want to write up OOC lore posts describing places they can do it AFTER the players have had a chance to build places in-game. This way everyone is satisfied and everyone has played a part in creating the world.

Comments or questions?

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2009, 08:53:52 pm »
Sounds good. I tired to prevent something simmilar in the TestDrive RP by having the world be alien to all those involved (and have the rare few natives keep quiet about any specific events, to keep the area in a state of nowhere and nowhen).

Your idea realy makes sense, though. That should be a guideline for fantasy RPs like this, with no direct ties to reality.