Author Topic: Amphibians...Reptiles...Mammals?  (Read 10832 times)

Offline Protoavis

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
Re: Amphibians...Reptiles...Mammals?
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2006, 04:06:11 pm »
um... the spinning blade hands are impossible. they didn't think of everything... or they did, and disregarded it. oh well. i know i'll be denying any creature that uses the spinning blade on any body part.

I don't know why everyone is convinced they spin, the "blade" as it were is only a semi circle, it's not a full circle, thus I really can't see it spinning.
"Oh mummy, the bad man said bad things, please mummy...mummy" said the 20+ yr old man.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2006, 01:35:05 am »
As for Hyrdomancer, your salt flat creature prooved what I mentioned eariler. The only way you can get a spinning wheel on a creature is to have a symbiotic relationship. In this case it's with the creatures environment. Much like how hermit crabs used discarded shells as a protective shell of their own, your salt flat creature finds smooth rocks of salt which is hooks into as wheels. This is not something the creature grew, but rather uses in it's own environment.

You simply put, can not have a free spinning part the creature itself grew. If it works like antlers it has the possibility of growing too big and injuring the creature, or growing too small and being ineffective. And if it grows back, well... then you even have more trouble.  That's why antlers in our world are used for sexual purposes, and not locomotive.

Any free spinning part would not be kept alive by the main creature, and would therefore have no muscles to move it about. However, a symbiotic relationship with another creature or with the environment itself can produce spinning parts. I feel like I'm slamming my head into a wall, repeatedly. Do you guys not get it?

There is the antler version i did about a week ago or whenever you brought this up. I did not color it until today, so enjoy! In short it has a wheel part that grew, THEN fell off to be used once it was fully disconnected from the body thus not needing any connection, see?

Wheelhorn

The Wheelhorn is s strange creature that grows long antlers who's wheel-like bulges break off when they reach adulthood. This wheel is just bone and has no connection to the creature other than it its on peg-like axis (which has blood and live horn). The way it breaks off is there a fleshy cushion that it sits on as it grows. When it matures this fleshy layer will  die off and reveal the cylindrical horn inside of it. Thus after all the flesh falls off it can now spin around. Baby Wheelhorns are stuck in the nest until they grow big enough to use their wheels. Wheelhorns use their back legs to posh them along. They also have weirds features such as a chin-nose, a feathered body a knee-spike and antenna which pick up smells.

Also if you MUST have living tissue connected i was thinking of a creature that worked like this...

Imagine 8 legs with wheels on the end. It has muscles to spin these wheel until they have spun tight. After they have reached their maximum spinning before spinning (more would break them off or cause them to just stop).  They lift those set off legs. The wheel then spins backwards in the air until having un-spun them. By this time the next set of legs have spun all the way and must be lifted as well. If done in succession then there will always be 4 legs on the ground spinning forward, while you have 4 legs lifted off the ground un-spinning themselves to get ready to spin again.

I do not see why this cannot be possible since its IS spinning but has a limited number of spins, just like an owl has a limited amount of times his head can spin all the way around.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 02:02:13 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
  • Readin this? You just wasted a second of your life
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2006, 05:29:50 am »
Actually an owls head can only turn about 280 degrees...or summat like that...over wise It's head would literally fall off :D of It would break It or dislodge a vertebrate. Still like your unison Idea thing.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2006, 12:27:22 pm »
Actually an owls head can only turn about 280 degrees...or summat like that...over wise It's head would literally fall off :D of It would break It or dislodge a vertebrate. Still like your unison Idea thing.
Yes, that's true, but It is not completely separate and can't make multiple 360 degree turns like amn artificial wheel would.

As Inevitable as Life Itself. Spread the Joy.

My Sporepedia page:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Aligon

The Agnoculus:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7619.0

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2006, 01:31:09 pm »
I totally agree with jov about the spinning parts

I think one of the main reasons, because such parts are unprofitable, is the attrition. A wheel like structure would be stressed alot. Thus the cells must reproduce, but they can't since the wheel has to be dead to move, because it's separated from the body. Even toenails aren't as stressed as such a wheel, and though they must grow.

Another thing is the buffering ability, which allows us to have a smooth movement. A creature with a wheel would have to withstand a heavy bucking, which won't be good for the spine, bones, brain, just about everything, because in nature there aren't roads...

But I think the most important fact is, that it wouldn't be profitable enough. A leg or more would be more precise, easier to evolve and healthier. Thus the natural selection would never lead to such a wheel structure or other spinning parts like a helicopter.

On the other hand, it's just a game, though I think it should have at least as much realism, that those parts like the circular saw aren't implemented. This would be a great part for cyborgs and robots though.
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline QReaper

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Knowledge is a weapon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2006, 04:41:19 pm »
We'll just chalk this one up to all mammals being Echidnas then, eh? ;)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2007, 09:29:47 pm »
My favorite wheel-like creature
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=353.msg17227#msg17227

someone started another thread about mobility, and that got me thinking about my rolling creature again. So I'll post here and there just cuz. I doubt any of these designs will actually create a rolling creature, but it was fun creating it to see what it might look like anyway.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2007, 10:17:05 pm »
How about a water-wheel creature?  :P
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7619.msg288057#msg288057

(that double-wheeled multiple-armed one is my favorite, looks so creepy...)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 10:18:41 pm by aligon »

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus:

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2007, 12:36:24 pm »
actually who said they have to spin from the centre. two ball and soket joints on opposite edges of the wheel could be turned to make the wheel spin, think twidling thumbs attached too a disk.

Offline Thalius

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2007, 04:58:10 am »
I wonder if you can take the spine down to one vertabre and make it as fat as possible, would it be a big circle?  Add eyes and mouth and let it roll around!  Like the movie Critters!

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2007, 01:36:16 pm »
It probably wouldn't roll, as such. It would probably be similar to how the initial slug-creature moves (if you decided to use it)

My Sporepedia page:

The Agnoculus: