Author Topic: Passing the time  (Read 9162 times)

Offline darkstar

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Cool looking UFO- Priceless
    • View Profile
Re: Passing the time
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2006, 09:10:35 am »
Just go play one single game of civ 4 online with 6 hardcore gamers and turn off time victory, I assure u the game won't end till spore comes out   :)
Those who think anything is possible have never tried slamming a revolving door.

Everything has a weakness against grenades ;)

Current Favorite Game- Spore

Waiting on:
Fallout 3
Starcraft 2

Offline QReaper

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Knowledge is a weapon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2006, 01:17:56 pm »
Learning is fun, because knowledge is power!
^QFT

Which is why my race's strength lies in knowledge. (see "Nereid")

Back to topic: Darkstar has a point. That game will take years. :D

Offline Jameso

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2006, 10:41:39 pm »
I started playing The Kingdom of Loathing, an MMORPG. It's pretty fun and it helps pass the time.

Offline Chaosenigma

• Mystery House Madman
  • Happi faic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2006, 11:02:39 pm »
If procedural generation is your thing look up a ps2 game called 'graffiti kingdom'

It's really REALLY childish (no swearing, blood, violence is kept to a minimum and colours are as bright as hell) But it's and awesome game. It's Procedurally animated and has a make-your-own creature thing, it's fun to experiment but doesnt get fun until later on when you've unlocked most of the options.

You make different shapes by drawring a side profile, while hard to get the hang of, complex shapes can be made by joining different parts. You can make different parts into attack parts, you only have a total of four buttons to play with (for things such as jump, etc), for example if i set a part to rotate and put four tubes on it, painted holes at the end, set them to attack parts and in effect could mash the buttons to form a chaingun.

All movement, action and sound is procedural generated depending on what you draw, for example i made a mech with legs like off orbital frames from 'Zone of the enders', pretty much standing on needle points, and it makes a sharp sound when i step onto a surface. I made a person and defined the ankles, the game realised they were ankles and my creature walked on feet as opposed to on it's toes as before, the sound when on a surface was more dull

So yeah, awesome game, the story line sucks and is short, but it's just so damn fun playing around with procedural generation in this game ^^. If you want a spore like game that's action oriented but is immersive in creature development and has procedural generation then this game is awesome.

If you want to look at the creatures of some japanese dude then heres a link

http://f38.aaa.livedoor.jp/~rakugaki/index.html

Just click on the numbers 1-11 and pick a random hyperlink
Sitting quietly waiting for spore's release....... for 2 years and counting T_T.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2006, 12:40:12 pm »
In reply to the first post: Wait for something better that's even sooner. I haven't given a damn about Spore in a month because of a month-long trip to Israel that my girlfriend is on. It's exactly 2 weeks until she's back in the states, though. Half way through!

;D

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Lebeke1

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • Handle with care
    • View Profile
    • Spore!
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2006, 02:00:27 pm »
For the space part, I'd look into a game called "Master of Orion 3".

Everything else...well, I'm not so sure. :P
Master of Orion series are all great.
Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress. -- Captain Eric Moody

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2006, 02:04:30 pm »
MASTER OF ORION 3 IS NOT GREAT!!!  AHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!

MOO 1 and 2 are masterpieces but 3 is a flaming pile of burning rat feces!

Get Galatic Civilization 2 or Space Rangers 2.  Those are good.

Offline Talkc

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Oh YEAAAAAAAH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2006, 02:24:47 pm »
Play the Advanced Wars series. It will get your brain thinking of all the best ways to conquer other enemies through turn based strategy. Plus each one of the games kills tons of time ( and multiplayer is something to really behold ) .

Offline Lebeke1

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • Handle with care
    • View Profile
    • Spore!
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2006, 02:25:17 pm »
Never played the MOO 3. But i know the first 2 are great.
Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress. -- Captain Eric Moody

Offline ChristianSkunk

• Astrosmasher!
  • I stink, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2006, 03:15:59 pm »
I really miss the first MOO.  The second was okay, and I liked the third to a point, but with my obsessive-compulsive tendencies, it gets to be a real pain later on (I micro-mange too much).
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day."
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent." - R.D. Laing
"It's only by fate that any life ends and only by chance that it is mine, not yours."

Offline The Terminator

• Kaboom Boomer!
  • I'll Be Back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2006, 03:29:07 pm »
Me to just pass the time wating for Spore, I just go other forums that I have great interests for (ex. SPider-Man 3, Hulk 2, GTA 4, etc.)

The Giganommoths AKA THE OWNAGE!!!: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5817.0

Offline Lebeke1

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • Handle with care
    • View Profile
    • Spore!
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2006, 03:30:15 pm »
Speaking of which, does anyone know any sites in which i can legally download all those classic games, such as MOO1/2?

Offline Lebeke1

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • Handle with care
    • View Profile
    • Spore!
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2006, 05:21:52 pm »
Apparently, i have a new hobby. Slobbering over Fable 2. ;D

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2006, 07:48:16 am »
i wish that was longer.