Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress - A Roguelike and much, much more  (Read 296367 times)

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress - A Roguelike and much, much more
« Reply #450 on: March 05, 2008, 02:45:48 pm »
wow that program is awsome! i cant seem to make it work...when i do the map extract thing it says that i dont have my map loaded...

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #451 on: March 05, 2008, 04:48:23 pm »
I just got besieged a minute ago. About a dozen goblin spearmen appeared and started slowly moving through the woods toward my new expanded perimeter.
I was sure to quickly carve some fortifications. I had a huge hole up top that wasn't yet constructed, and was hoping that rushing my five marksdwarves over there would at least ding them a little before they got to the dwarven caravan that was visiting (that would have been a good fight to watch).

Even though my marksdwarves had the crappy wooden bolts they were using for training, they all let 'em fly. Maimed several goblins but only killed three. The rest of them retreated.
Seriously, that siege lasted like three minutes. Most of that was the gobbos walking very slowly through the woods to my fort.

Riveting!
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #452 on: March 05, 2008, 08:29:59 pm »
wow that program is awsome! i cant seem to make it work...when i do the map extract thing it says that i dont have my map loaded...

Use version 04b if you're using the latest DF version.
Doesn't work with heavily modified character sets. (Such as the graphics version of DF.)
Oh, and the game has to be running and loaded.

If you pass all these, there's a tutorial here somewhere about how to go from there.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 08:32:30 pm by Kishmond »
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 06, 2008, 02:52:33 am »
oh nvermind that then...i have the graphic version

That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 06, 2008, 09:59:20 am »
@ Gauphastus

Yeah I'm actually getting really bored with fortress mode, after a while I seem to find myself trying new ways of slowly sabotaging my fortress, I think I may do the next one somewhere challenging, like in a sinister or haunted area, and the location would probably be a desert or an ocean.... maybe a haunted desert next to a sinister ocean!

Now that would make for a cool, if short, tale!
My only problem would be
A) finding water would be difficult
B) Most of my fishermen will be slaughtered within 12 seconds
C) Wood is going to be hard to find.
D) Most of the animals that my dwarfs would be hunting for food would probably be hunting them back.
E) My dwarfs are going to have to build a very well defended fortress very bloody quickly.
What have you got against intellectual midgets? They're quite smart little guys as far as i can tell.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 06, 2008, 12:01:37 pm »
My current fortress is in a terrifying mountain area. Its far from terrifying, to be honest. An Ogre found its way into my fortress but it was torn apart by the wardogs I had prepared, but not before it had killed my stupid hunter. Later some harpies showed up and again, I was able to kill them with Wardawg power. So far the only real challenge has been lack of wood, since its also very hot and trees are scarce.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #456 on: March 06, 2008, 01:47:02 pm »
I wish you could take control of individual dwarves in Fortress mode. Played right, a half-decent weapondwarf can take on two or three harpies. They don't stand a chance even against peasants if there are more than 5.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 06, 2008, 01:52:14 pm »
My current fortress is in a terrifying mountain area. Its far from terrifying, to be honest. An Ogre found its way into my fortress but it was torn apart by the wardogs I had prepared, but not before it had killed my stupid hunter. Later some harpies showed up and again, I was able to kill them with Wardawg power. So far the only real challenge has been lack of wood, since its also very hot and trees are scarce.

its only fun when you try to catch them :P

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 06, 2008, 02:58:48 pm »
Now I understand why this game wasn't working for me!

I was reading through the wiki when it said the + and - keys on the keyboard don't work; you have to use the num pad.

Well, since my laptop has no num pad and I am not going to shill out maybe $50 for a good num pad and a USB splitter (I need more ports!), looks like this one is going to the garbage bin.  :-\
I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 06, 2008, 03:02:49 pm »
Press escape, go to "Key Bindings," and enjoy the game.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 06, 2008, 03:08:06 pm »
Ive been hearing alot about Zombie Whales, anyone have any encounters with these beasts? Also whats the deal with carp?
Your Friendly Canadian Fighter :)
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 06, 2008, 03:10:21 pm »
carp are bugged...the creator of the game gave them a bit to few power and now there killing machines  :P

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 06, 2008, 03:42:29 pm »
Well, I tried adventure mode and accidentally punched the mayor. So he starts mauling my elf thief, so I run away, but got cornered and killed by the village children. Right.

So I create an expert human swordsman and attack at nightfall. I had killed abouthalf the village when...wtf? I hear a horse, a freakin' HORSE, mauling a guard! And now I'm getting messages about carp drowning. Is my game getting messed up?

Also, has anyone thought of building a massive fortress for the express purpose of dungeon crawling?

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 07, 2008, 04:20:47 am »
by the way ctrl+5 moves down as well and shift+5 moves up, I've not had to use the number pad once. just the number keys above the letters.
What have you got against intellectual midgets? They're quite smart little guys as far as i can tell.

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #464 on: March 07, 2008, 03:08:05 pm »
Well, I tried adventure mode and accidentally punched the mayor. So he starts mauling my elf thief, so I run away, but got cornered and killed by the village children. Right.

So I create an expert human swordsman and attack at nightfall. I had killed abouthalf the village when...wtf? I hear a horse, a freakin' HORSE, mauling a guard! And now I'm getting messages about carp drowning. Is my game getting messed up?

Also, has anyone thought of building a massive fortress for the express purpose of dungeon crawling?

I think fish drown when they are knocked unconscious or pierced through the lung.
And everybody loves attacking animals. My beloved meat shield drunkard was following me through the wilderness when he sprints off and promptly gets mauled by a horse.