Author Topic: Paradox Games  (Read 52416 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Paradox Games
« Reply #540 on: April 07, 2017, 08:10:49 am »
Which game?

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 07, 2017, 08:41:31 am »
stellaris dlc.

just thought it was funny that he thinks a 20 to 80% win ratio in an election is impossible to win.

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #542 on: April 07, 2017, 08:45:57 am »
FAKE NEWS

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: April 13, 2017, 04:13:56 pm »
Looking forward to the Herbert update so we can ride the Worm o_o
Found Arrakis in my game.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 15, 2017, 08:37:22 am »
Crusader Kings II is on sale for 10 bucks right now. I've always been pretty interested in it because it seems like a cool strategy game and I'm interested in that period of history, but a lot of people complain about Paradox nickel-and-diming people through DLC.

So, is the game still good without DLC? Are there a couple essential DLCs worth picking up? Should I not be giving Paradox my money? What's up with this?

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 15, 2017, 10:16:03 am »
Naa.. It is good without the DLCs to. I have a lot of the DLC I admit. But really you can do without. (In fact one you should never run with if your a bit sane)
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 15, 2017, 10:27:53 am »
Crusader Kings II is on sale for 10 bucks right now. I've always been pretty interested in it because it seems like a cool strategy game and I'm interested in that period of history, but a lot of people complain about Paradox nickel-and-diming people through DLC.

So, is the game still good without DLC? Are there a couple essential DLCs worth picking up? Should I not be giving Paradox my money? What's up with this?

None of them are essential. I gradually picked up expansions cheap as I played CK2 over the years and I find it a good way to play as once you've got used to the game with one set of stuff you can shake things up by getting some expansions.

One I'd say is really a game-changer which it might be worth getting from the very start is Conclave, which massively expands on the role of your council and gives you a lot more to do if your realm is at peace (because you constantly have to deal with your ****lord council trying to backstab you).

The expansions which add new playable ruler civs are nice but don't affect the base game much as for a first playthrough you'll probably want to be a standard feudal europoor. But they are good because the different ruler types (Christian, Muslim, Pagan, Indian, Nomadic etc) all play a bit differently (some of them drastically differently) so it does change up the game quite a bit.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 15, 2017, 11:28:41 am »
Would personally suggest, in order of most to least important, Way of Life, Sons of Abraham, Conclave.

Though ultimately it comes down to your preferences. I'd play a couple of games and see what YOU think could use more depth. If you want more for your character to do, then Way of Life is probably the way to go. If you want more religious mechanics and the ability to borrow from, expel, and play as the jewry, then Sons of Abraham is probably the thing. If you want a deeper and more interactive council, then Conclave.

The traditional new-player start is an Irish count aiming to unify Ireland, then Britain, and it's a fairly fun one. It does a decent job of sort of making sure you don't get into any situations that are too horrible while introducing mechanics to you one at a time.

I'd personally say it's well and away worth ten dollars. By Steam's reckoning I've sunk nearly 400 hours into that game, most of it pretty fun. Good luck if you buy it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 11:31:18 am by Rysworld »

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 15, 2017, 08:41:40 pm »
Thanks guys! Might pick it up :) I really have to be in the mood to sink my teeth into a deep strategy game like that, though
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 08:46:37 pm by Slinky »

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 17, 2017, 07:28:23 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnIIJX8cV2M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnIIJX8cV2M</a>

So this is a game, seems pretty fun. Hope it's good
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 17, 2017, 07:43:04 am »
Looks like Cities Skylines on Mars.

Which is a good thing.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 05, 2017, 02:51:05 am »
Everyone play Kaiserreich yo
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 06, 2017, 05:53:48 pm »
But what is it? How am I supposed to find information about something on the internet by my own?
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 07, 2017, 06:05:27 am »
It's an alternate history mod where the Germen Empire won the first world war

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=809903394

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 07, 2017, 09:20:07 pm »
Yeah the tl;dr is "Germany wins WW1, ect" which comes off a bit Wehrabooish, which is sad because it's way more than that.

The reality is a game that has a trillion times more depth and flavour than the base game, every country having unique paths (ie. actual internal politics rather than HOI4's "I'm Venezuela in the 1940s, I guess"), and a pretty engaging 'story' if you want to call it that. I don't want to spoil too much if you want to jump right in and experience the thrill of looking at America in 1937 and trying to figure out what the hell is going on, but the basic summary is:

Instead of Germany experiencing the massive social upheaval after WW1 it happened in the Entente (because they lost, duh), and in the '20s the UK and France experienced far-left Communist Syndicalist revolutions. The Entente powers ran away to their colonies - the Dominion of Canada and India for the British, and North Africa for France - and plot their return home. In Russia, the Red Army is defeated by the Whites, and President Kerensky is the only thing holding the Republic together and hopefully nothing bad will ever, ever happen to him. Communist Communard France plans to take on Germany and save the world from the chains of capitalism ect, so hopefully Germany doesn't have a financial crisis or something that might make them vulnerable. A whole bunch of other insane stuff happens later, but I'll let that be a surprise.

The main thing setting apart Kaiserreich from the other Alt History wank mods is that it has about 8 years worth of development since it original came from an older Paradox game, so the main draw is less the novelty and more the huge attention to detail.
the real saviour of this forum