Author Topic: Looks possible that you choose your starting planet  (Read 19759 times)

Offline WhiteWolf7

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
Looks possible that you choose your starting planet
« on: March 14, 2007, 10:17:41 pm »
http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/0,1206,l=203119&s=27628&a=203118,00.asp

Read the caption on spores main screen picture

Aside from that if you look closely at the viddler video it seems like some of those planets are selectable. Watch real choose the planet it expands like its highlighted before will picks the tidepool stage

NEVER argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with exprience

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
Re: Looks possible that you choose your starting planet
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 10:27:42 pm »
http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/0,1206,l=203119&s=27628&a=203118,00.asp

Read the caption on spores main screen picture

Aside from that if you look closely at the viddler video it seems like some of those planets are selectable. Watch real choose the planet it expands like its highlighted before will picks the tidepool stage

I think that was just an option on where he wanted to start in his presentation, kind of like how the original official Spore website was set up.  Or it could be that due to his being the creator, he could choose form several different planets to demo.  Or, you could be right, which would be amazingly sweet!
Leave to a Thark his head and one hand and he may yet conquer.

The glass is alway in balance and full: half liquid, half gas.

Visit my Sporepedia page! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Bob_Of_Mars

Offline WhiteWolf7

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 10:30:14 pm »
It looks like an actual main menu this time and you gotta rember that lot of his previous demos were scripted to a point. This one seems unscripted though i bet how he choose what stage he wanted is only after you already go through them all

I dunno. It looks alot like it i hope im right :D
NEVER argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with exprience

Offline Stern23

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 10:32:05 pm »
I thought it looked that way too. When I saw that screen, I thought of the 'Neighborhood' view in the Sims games. You know, the screen where you select which house you want to play in.
Please comment and rate my creatures here-

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Stern23

I'll return the favor.

The Int'al'ra -

http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5563.0

Offline WhiteWolf7

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 10:32:37 pm »
I thought it looked that way too. When I saw that screen, I thought of the 'Neighborhood' view in the Sims games. You know, the screen where you select which house you want to play in.

Exactly :D

Offline BBsman5

• Dragster Diehard
  • Go Spore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 10:32:57 pm »
I could be wrong, but I think it's just the old main menu with a new design.  Every planet represents a different level of play, one planet represents cell, one represents creature, etc.

Edit:  Actually, it being a choose a neighborhood screen makes a lot of sense.

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 10:48:16 pm »
Maybe.  Early on in the game it could indicate which planet you start the game on.  when you start one game and finish, or just want to start a new one, maybe it becomes a pathway to a new galaxy, connecting your two separate games and universes through the main menu/galaxy.  Interesting....
That would actually be pretty cool.

Offline WhiteWolf7

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 11:10:53 pm »
Ill just be happy if you don't always start on the same planet

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 11:24:14 pm »

What caption?

Spore's main screen—select a planet to get started.
This appears to the side and is a label proved by the writer of the article.  Past experience has taught us that reviewers who get to play with the editors are idiots that can not be trusted.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 11:28:12 pm by Slartibartfast »

Offline WhiteWolf7

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 11:25:14 pm »

What caption?

Goto the link on in my first post. Click that picture and look to the right

Offline PC Dave

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 11:31:35 pm »
Think of it as how you select your house/city in The Sims 2 or SimCity. Each planet is it's own "household/city," this lets you create and play with more then just one creature and galaxy, and while you may interact with your own creations, they are all separate and independent of each other.

For example:

You have two planets, two creatures, Creature A & Creature B.

Playing as Creature A, you discover Creature B's home planet, it looks just like the planet you have on your other file, and you decide to blow it up. When you load up Creature B, it's home planet is still there, just as you left it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 11:34:50 pm by PC Dave »

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 11:33:27 pm »
Hmm, interesting.

But I only see one planet, was that for the demo?
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline PC Dave

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 11:35:54 pm »
If you've only started one game, you'll only have one planet on your main menu galaxy.

Offline WhiteWolf7

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 11:50:36 pm »
Think of it as how you select your house/city in The Sims 2 or SimCity. Each planet is it's own "household/city," this lets you create and play with more then just one creature and galaxy, and while you may interact with your own creations, they are all separate and independent of each other.

Your likely right :/ man i hope we dont always start on the same planet type :(

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 12:31:45 am »
The new editor looks awesome!!

Offline WhiteWolf7

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 12:36:25 am »
The new editor looks awesome!!

Agreed though i think your in the wrong topic :D

Offline Stern23

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 12:45:25 am »
Heh, yeah. I agree, but that was awfully random, Hydro :P

I'll return the favor.

The Int'al'ra -

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 01:13:17 am »
Methinks Hydro needs some sleep!  (like myself...Damn mid-terms)

Actually, in the SXSW vid (don't remember which one) Will goes over several planets at the Galaxy screen, and when a planet is highlighted and enlarged, several other things come up that look like indicators of how far one is in the game (could be wrong, and NOBODY jump to conclusions!  I am very tired right now, so I might be mistaken).  So, your thoughts might be true about planet selection WhiteWolf7

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 03:04:15 am »
I wonder if you'll get to build your own planet, like building your own house before you move your species in.

Offline WhiteWolf7

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 03:10:31 am »
I wonder if you'll get to build your own planet, like building your own house before you move your species in.

That would be cool but i doubt it because that wouldent make sense to give you the terraforming tools then take them away. UNLESS You get to pick diffrent choices and let the computer generate it. Like how much vegetation/land/water athomphere type size of planet and amount of types of terran etc

Offline Syao

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 03:15:44 am »
Choosing the home planet will be nice,but I think that site just saying it and not knowing.
My guess is that the game generates your home planet when you finish the molecular phase and starting the creature,but that's just a guess.

Offline WhiteWolf7

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 03:16:52 am »
Choosing the home planet will be nice,but I think that site just saying it and not knowing.
My guess is that the game generates your home planet when you finish the molecular phase and starting the creature,but that's just a guess.

We don't even know if the molecular stage exists.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 04:04:22 am »
This appears to the side and is a label proved by the writer of the article.  Past experience has taught us that reviewers who get to play with the editors are idiots that can not be trusted.

I concur.

Offline Syao

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2007, 04:49:08 am »

We don't even know if the molecular stage exists.
I meant the tidepool phase

Offline DarkDragon

• Double Dragon Dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2007, 05:05:29 am »

I concur.

So if Hydro were to review the editor back from E3 he would go from cool guy to idiot? :o
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Brandonazz

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2007, 12:00:54 pm »
Actually, in the SXSW vid (don't remember which one) Will goes over several planets at the Galaxy screen, and when a planet is highlighted and enlarged, several other things come up that look like indicators of how far one is in the game (could be wrong, and NOBODY jump to conclusions!  I am very tired right now, so I might be mistaken).  So, your thoughts might be true about planet selection WhiteWolf7

Actually I was thinking the same thing  ;)

Offline Tark

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Woof
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2007, 01:15:20 pm »
I definitely think that there will be a form of selection for your starting planet, but It will most likely be something simple like choosing the general layout of continents and the climate.

Yes, I saw that too, but I'm pretty sure that was for the sole purpose of the demo so that he could get to each phase easily. But hey, who knows, maybe it will end up as an indicator.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 01:29:41 pm by Tark »

Offline Markonite2

• Mystery House Madman
  • Got Souls?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2007, 01:57:48 pm »
I think it will be like the civ games where you just pick the period and the precipitation and erosion and all. Probably sliders and real time changes to a spinning 3d planet. I'm just speculating but i agree with what other people said earlier. I think that the galaxy is a menu for choosing which planet to start out on and then the little squares with pics in them show your progress like save game files. The only problem is this would allow you to see roughly all of the planets in the game way before the space stage. I'd rather this kind of knowledge occur later into the game.
'Streets of Spore': where you drive around in a low-poly world doing missions that don't relate to the game whatsoever...

The sig is like a fig. But really, who will triumph?
The almighty Ham, or the magical Spam, which lives in a can. - Anthony Reubon

Offline Serak

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
    • Megaman Regalia
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2007, 02:42:42 pm »
Actually, the galaxy is probably just a background because it looks cooler than green. And the planets on them are probably just placed symmetrically, so like we see that one planet in the middle-ish, if another one was added it would probably move to the right or left and the new world goes next to it.

Offline Tark

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Woof
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2007, 02:48:41 pm »
The only problem is this would allow you to see roughly all of the planets in the game way before the space stage. I'd rather this kind of knowledge occur later into the game.

I don't think so. They'll probably give you some basic choices as to your planet, maybe giving you access to the flora editor. Most likely, the options will limit you to some basic planets, leaving the exciting ones to the space stage. But I'm just speculating.

Anyone else notice how easily we take one tiny tidbit of information and suck it dry of all its worth?

Offline DoggySpew

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2007, 02:50:13 pm »
I think the option to start from a planet like this is only after you get to the Space Phase initially.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/DoggySpew

7 Gold, 5 Silver, 4 Bronze on the Olympics.

Offline Serak

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
    • Megaman Regalia
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2007, 02:50:30 pm »
What else do we have to work with Tark? Might as well use what we have.

Offline Stern23

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2007, 03:14:33 pm »
Maybe this is a bit off topic, but, ASSUMING that this is a 'Choose Your Planet' screen...this could change a few things.

For instance. You start your first race and go through all of the stages up to space. You become very, very powerful. You save the game, exit back to this screen and then select a new planet fairly close to your first one. After you evolve your new creation up to the creature stage, you save and go back to the first race. Now, you jump in your ship and fly to your second race's planet. Once you locate some of them on the surface, drop monolith, BOOM! Instant brain-boost.

Just a random thought I had. Although, if it is like the Sims, anything you did to someone else's Sim in your game did not affect their game. Everything was just the way it was when they last saved it. So, likely, I'm just rambling on incessantly. Which, honestly, is no huge stretch.

I'll return the favor.

The Int'al'ra -

Offline ChristianSkunk

• Astrosmasher!
  • I stink, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2007, 03:38:56 pm »
That's easily fixed, and probably is already.  Creatures you play can't be monolithed.  I'm pretty certain of that.

It's also possible that the universe for Creature A isn't the same as for Creature B.  It was brought up in another thread.  What if you shared your computer/game with a sibling/roommate?  Even without choosing a nearby planet, it'd still be possible (however unlikely) they'd stumble upon your planet/colonies.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day."
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent." - R.D. Laing
"It's only by fate that any life ends and only by chance that it is mine, not yours."

Offline WhiteWolf7

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2007, 03:40:52 pm »
Maybe this is a bit off topic, but, ASSUMING that this is a 'Choose Your Planet' screen...this could change a few things.

For instance. You start your first race and go through all of the stages up to space. You become very, very powerful. You save the game, exit back to this screen and then select a new planet fairly close to your first one. After you evolve your new creation up to the creature stage, you save and go back to the first race. Now, you jump in your ship and fly to your second race's planet. Once you locate some of them on the surface, drop monolith, BOOM! Instant brain-boost.

Just a random thought I had. Although, if it is like the Sims, anything you did to someone else's Sim in your game did not affect their game. Everything was just the way it was when they last saved it. So, likely, I'm just rambling on incessantly. Which, honestly, is no huge stretch.

Creature B would be unaffected cept for in Creature As game. when you go back to creature Bs game it would be  the same as you left it

Offline Tark

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Woof
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2007, 03:42:56 pm »
What else do we have to work with Tark? Might as well use what we have.

No need to get defensive, I wasn't trying to be rude. I just thought it was funny.

Offline Stern23

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2007, 03:49:23 pm »

Creature B would be unaffected cept for in Creature As game. when you go back to creature Bs game it would be  the same as you left it

Yeah, that thought had occurred to me towards the end of the post. That's how it worked in The Sims, so I assume it would be the same way here. Although, if you want an instant brain boost, I'm sure there would be cheats. Not that I condone that sort of thing... <.< >.> What?

I'll return the favor.

The Int'al'ra -

Offline WhiteWolf7

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2007, 03:56:27 pm »

Yeah, that thought had occurred to me towards the end of the post. That's how it worked in The Sims, so I assume it would be the same way here. Although, if you want an instant brain boost, I'm sure there would be cheats. Not that I condone that sort of thing... <.< >.> What?

Actually since your stuff can be shared with other players i actually think there wont be cheats >_>

Offline Tark

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Woof
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2007, 04:05:40 pm »

Actually since your stuff can be shared with other players i actually think there wont be cheats >_>

Oh, there are ALWAYS cheats. Just because there aren't cheat "codes" doesn't mean that there won't be console commands. >:D

Offline Brandonazz

• Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2007, 06:46:58 pm »
I think you might get very basic choices like in civ4. Tropical, Dry, or temperate. Some other stuff maybe.

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2007, 06:55:15 pm »
Dont like it at all.

We did not afterall choose which planet we grew up on.

you get what life deals you and that should hold true to planet choice too.

But of course if you go aqutic then it should force a somewhat planet with water that is the only thing that should be used in selection of planet which the comp does.
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2007, 07:50:21 pm »
I don't know about those pictures, it kinda does look like how you would choose a neighborhood in The Sims...
but that's just my opinion.

I really hope we can choose a general landscape, though.
I would love to start on a planet where it rains a lot of the time, with lots of lightning and dark clouds...
that'd be awesome.

I don't exactly want to start off on the same relaxing green-terrain planet as everyone else... but I also don't want to be able to start off with the power to modify the planet either... that should be earned.  ;D

Offline Dekadin

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2007, 10:03:45 pm »
Hmmm... If it were up to me, you'd have some basic sliders or archetypes to choose from, but you wouldn't be able to control every detail. That way, if I want to make some kind of swamp creature, I don't end up on a desert planet with almost no water. On the other end of the spectrum, designing every aspect of your planet wouldn't be much fun either. It'd take away the fun of exploring your planet as your creature, and make it less gratifying when you finally earn the terraforming tools later in the game.

What the developers actually did, I have no idea.

As for the whole interactions between different galaxies discussion, I think it's likely that your different game files will take place in different galaxies. Either that, or it'll be like the sims, where changes in one file don't affect the others.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2007, 10:21:40 pm »
I would think the creature you make in someway affects the planet if you live on and changes to the planet are dynamic to choices with you do living in the water increases the amount of water  Living in the forest means a more forest based world as time and evolutions go by. Instead of you creature adapting to the envrionment the environment adapts to you.

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2007, 10:34:09 pm »
I would think the creature you make in someway affects the planet if you live on and changes to the planet are dynamic to choices with you do living in the water increases the amount of water  Living in the forest means a more forest based world as time and evolutions go by. Instead of you creature adapting to the envrionment the environment adapts to you.

..... I really hope they don't do that.
Planets don't adapt to the things living on them. They must all adapt to their planet.
I know it's just a game, but changing that would go against the basis of evolution.

Offline WhiteWolf7

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2007, 10:46:51 pm »
Dont like it at all.

But of course if you go aqutic then it should force a somewhat planet with water that is the only thing that should be used in selection of planet which the comp does.

While not completely confirmed there are substantail evidence that there are NO aquatic creatures

Anyways a systems like civ $ is what i expect for example

Planet size: Small Medium Large

Water vs terran ratio Terran 50% water 50%

Vegetation percentige 70

Maybe some other stuff like athomsphere style etc

But honestly i don't care so long as everytime we start a new game were not always on the same exact planet

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2007, 01:08:20 am »
I don't know whether someone suggested this before, but couldn't it just be the way Spore allows you to "save" a previous game? The galaxy is large enough to hold all your previous attempts. This would imply that you can't enter this screen until you have evolved to aspace at least once. This could then probably be unlocked with a cheat key, to cater the more casual players.
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2007, 01:30:41 am »
Instead of you creature adapting to the envrionment the environment adapts to you.
In Soviet Russia, Environment adapts to YOU!!!!

Offline WhiteWolf7

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2007, 01:39:56 am »
It likely is a game select type thing. Oh well hopefully starting on diffrent planets will be confiremed soon. Though i do rember willsaying the landscape was procedualy generated in the GDC 05 demo. But you cant take much from that credible anymore

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2007, 04:53:44 am »
I think there are substantial proof that there is aquatic animals!

Why should Will Wrigth say the animal that ran towards the water in the swsx video was aquatic?´

It could be a game bug...but that is doubtfull!

Offline GrapeFruit

• Gorf Goon
  • I'm killing my way to truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2007, 05:18:55 am »
I think there are substantial proof that there is aquatic animals!

Why should Will Wrigth say the animal that ran towards the water in the swsx video was aquatic?´

It could be a game bug...but that is doubtfull!

You haven't seen many WW speeches yet, right?

It's very likely that he was joking around
Quote from: Liquos
I can't wait that long! I'm gonna explode from patience!

Quote from: Parkaboy
"Around the world you may notice that other creatures evolve while others don't"
That's because some of them are christians.

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2007, 08:47:26 am »
So it was a game bug. oh well did not see that.

I guess its very bad that aquatic animals dont appear in the game.
What about flying animals?

I watch some of the spore stuff but truth to say is bored of waiting. all that fuss lets see the damm thing soon.

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2007, 08:55:20 am »
I'm sure that aquatic creatures are more likely to be in the game than flying creatures are. And since I don't think we'll see underwater creatures in the stages after tidepool... flying creatures: not likely... at all.
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline luke

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2007, 09:25:30 am »
Hay i know this has problem been confirmed already or something but i personly dont know will there be snowy planets and all that?

Offline WhiteWolf7

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2007, 09:35:02 am »
For the 1000th time will was very sarcastic when he said they were aquatic and the only evidence aquatic creatures have is the GDC 05 vid and that is hardly even evidence

No the only thing we need for flying creatures is wings and we do. i doubt flyers are in but there is more of a chance of the barney and the ninja turtles being in the game as your teachers then aquatic creatures

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2007, 10:01:21 am »
Instead of you creature adapting to the envrionment the environment adapts to you.
In Soviet Russia, Environment adapts to YOU!!!!
Good god, we're all going to be living in the commieverse?

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2007, 11:33:27 am »
[...]
No the only thing we need for flying creatures is wings and we do. [...]
"the only thing we need for swimmers are fins, and we do" *shakes head*

No, the problem with both swimming and flying as opposed to running is the z-axis, 3-d movement and 3-d combats. You'd need to do something special to make the movement intuitive. That said, I am rather cofindent that both swimmers and flyers can/will be added later, though. They did solve the problem (of movement at least) for the UFO, although in the team talk they made it clear that it was not easy to make it in such a way that the player doesn't loose track of proper orientation.
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline Zycke

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • The time is upon us!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2007, 11:36:02 am »
Dont like it at all.

While not completely confirmed there are substantail evidence that there are NO aquatic creatures

Anyways a systems like civ $ is what i expect for example

Planet size: Small Medium Large

Water vs terran ratio Terran 50% water 50%

Vegetation percentige 70

Maybe some other stuff like athomsphere style etc

But honestly i don't care so long as everytime we start a new game were not always on the same exact planet

I wouldnt mid seeing sumthing like that, Planet Size, water land ratio etc..just plumming in details about the planet you want (you dont see it tho) but your preferences are slammed onto the planet tho :)
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Zycke

Whey!! Go My Sporlings!! Go!

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2007, 11:38:56 am »
optional down nther!!

i think it would be kinda nice to start the game with a blank planet and under control of some random species ufo, then you terraform the planet below you (no other tools are available and you can't leave that planet) and shoot a life spore into the sea, then the camera follows the spore and then when it lands, poof!!!!

microbe stage.
Never mind your own business.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2007, 02:04:02 pm »
Um.... Yea...

Id just like the Preference Sliders, that way, you can still explore your planet, while not being pissed off that its snowy, and your creature is in short-shorts.

Offline Zycke

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • The time is upon us!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2007, 02:09:01 pm »
optional down nther!!

i think it would be kinda nice to start the game with a blank planet and under control of some random species ufo, then you terraform the planet below you (no other tools are available and you can't leave that planet) and shoot a life spore into the sea, then the camera follows the spore and then when it lands, poof!!!!

microbe stage.

wow, i rather like that idea lets hope the Will Wirght himself thought or heard that idea! I'd realli like to see that verson  ;D

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2007, 02:42:17 am »
do i detect a hint of sarcasm? :)

that way its a kind of space odyssey thing where life on your planet was created or even made sentient  by an already space faring race.

Offline Zycke

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • The time is upon us!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2007, 03:28:50 am »
lol you were made by life from other creatures, then you, yourself are creating life in different planets..it'll be a never ending cycle!

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2007, 05:09:56 am »
maybe when you reach space age the species that made you will send a message to you, then you can go to war. beam me up mr spock,

Offline Zycke

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • The time is upon us!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2007, 05:15:06 am »
or rather than go to war, you could ally with them..seeing as they are your creators lol!

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2007, 05:25:22 am »
that isn't as good though,

that is my plan, conquer 5 solar systems and then when i defeat an enemy i won't conquer i will just blow them  up

Offline Zycke

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • The time is upon us!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2007, 05:32:29 am »
lol! I'm gonna make a race that seems to be peaceful, but then have uber weapons which my enemies dont know about and Ka-Blam! they're all dead  ;D

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2007, 08:00:05 pm »
I just rewatched the SXSW video and I just realized....

Will is using the Galaxy as a main-menu screen... and there are really shiny stars on them that when he hovers over them, turn into planets (like the captured screen in this topic) and then around the planet shows a few little icons... I believe it is the stages.

But overall, I think each of those shiny-stars, that turn into planets, were a "neighborhood" that Will had made (or more practically, probably a saved game, ready for the demo).

I dunno if that was just for the demo or not, but I have a feeling that we can start new games in the same galaxy, on different planets...
But I dunno, it's too hard to tell what he is doing when the video is so low in resolution (and camera-stability).

Edit: Looked at him using the Galaxy-Menu some more... and the icons that appear around the planets (when the planet is clicked with the mouse, I believe) are indeed the stages of evolution.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 08:06:17 pm by Blulightning »

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2007, 08:12:16 pm »
Remember, this is the demo. I doubt the actual in game menu will be anything like that.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2007, 09:11:11 pm »
When was it said it said it was a demo? When I read the script about how he didnt have time to make a prescripted demo, I thought he had taken the game as it was, and used it in the demonstration.

Offline WhiteWolf7

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2007, 09:15:00 pm »
When was it said it said it was a demo? When I read the script about how he didnt have time to make a prescripted demo, I thought he had taken the game as it was, and used it in the demonstration.

I think so too it looked like it anyway

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2007, 09:16:19 pm »
Yay, someone agreed with me!!

Offline TheFatMan

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Join the legion of terror today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2007, 09:24:36 pm »
i think it might have been what they had so far, i mean when you look it appears they need to work on the texture because it takes a little while for his creature to be coloured when he re-enters the game from the editor, so it's possible
"The meaning of life is like chinese whispers, somebody knew it a long time ago and it has been passed down through the generations who have altered the message until we end up with Purple monkey dishwasher"

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2007, 09:46:33 pm »
Thank you, for stating what I had already said.  :-\ ;D

Offline TheFatMan

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Join the legion of terror today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2007, 09:51:52 pm »
your welcome
"The meaning of life is like chinese whispers, somebody knew it a long time ago and it has been passed down through the generations who have altered the message until we end up with Purple monkey dishwasher"

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2007, 03:15:21 am »

Well it looked to me like he was at a stage where he had allready unlocked everything. (or sum programers cheat) that allowed him to do that without any restrictions. I'd imagine thats what it would look like once u got to space stage and unlocked everything. Since you are then able to access any stage once you have unlocked it.