Author Topic: The Urshans  (Read 81942 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Re: New Creature - The Urshans
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2006, 07:14:42 pm »
Oooo I like the new coloring! Great job!

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2006, 02:02:39 am »
Thanks! It took me a while...

Maybe later in some phenomina, the Urshans would have to destrot the second planet and the furthest planet from the sun, to keep them from colliding once every 20,000 years?

Maybe not, maybe they can influence the orbits with their brains! That would be cool. But I am sorry, I am hi-jacking your creature develpment.

:), I'll think about it.

Also check once in a while the Urshans pictures because I will paint a few of them every know or then.

By the way although I already planned what would be the next things I will post about the Urshans, feel free to ask questions about other things or come up with ideas of Ursahn stuff you would like to see.

That's great, really cool! Love the volcano(?) in the background. Great colouring.

Oh and that is a volcano.

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2006, 09:38:51 am »
gee, you can realy colour them well. i cant colour, so my Snout will always look like a black and white movie. but keep up the good work! ;)
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2006, 02:41:30 am »
Xeno I used to think so too. Give it a try maybe you would be surprised :).

Anyway new stuff! I give you Urshan music!

Music:
Music has a great part in the Urshan culture. The Musical section in the Urshan's brain is located in the Sharo and the Rise believe that hearing music and playing it helps you Rise to higher minds. But music was invented much before the Rise. It is known that early shamans of the balance in the year 15,000 BE used to play the Hopper Cans during the torturing of their enemies and before great battles. Being a musician is a very honorable occupation.
In the modern age when recording was invented music took a great blow. Although recording music was illegal a big amount of criminals sold recorded music. After a few years music recording became legal but in order to keep musicians playing the empire opened its gate for all of them. All freelancer musicians disappeared and from that day on the empire is the only authorized body that can record Urshans playing. "The Imperial School of Music" became one of the best schools of music in the galaxy and after the Urshans joined the O.T.H.E.R alliance not only Urshans studied there, but other members. Urshan musicians are known to be very good, quite rich, and rather rare.

Hopper Cans:
The Hopper Cans in the oldest musical instrument. The hopper cans appear in ancient cave drawings from 15,000 BE. although it represents something ancient it is still a common instrument in the modern age. It is in fact a set of 5 wooden cans with leather at the bottom of each one. Because of the size differences between each can whenever the leather is hit by the wooden ball it makes a different sound. The musician actually juggles the balls between the different cans when he plays. The really talented ones use 7 cans and 4 balls but the common version is the 5 cans and 3 balls.

More to come: More instruments, painted version of old drawings, Grasping, Art and others...

I would be more then happy to hear comments or answer quistions.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 06:23:52 am by BioCat »

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2006, 03:09:36 am »
Cool, like a juggler on drums. That's original.  8)

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2006, 05:30:13 am »
Thanks.

I also made some other instruments but I didn't have the chance to draw them yet.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2006, 09:25:02 am »
Nice instruments!! i find it impossible to invent instruments.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2006, 12:51:55 pm »
Nice instruments!! i find it impossible to invent instruments.

Hehe, me too. The Kazea are totally without music at the moment.

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2006, 10:16:17 am »
Hi there everybody. Because I have lots of important university and school exams I have much less time these days. This mainly effects the time I have for drawings and scanning what I drew so although I have sketched for example of lots of instruments I can only show you a few.

But do not worry, I would do my best to keep updating the information about the Urshans and adding new stuff.

So for now I give you another instrument and this time also its history. The Magnet Gauntlets!

History of the Magnetizing Gauntlets :
The magnetizing gauntlet was invented in 730 AE, Just around the time the compass was invented (Check out the Time Line). This is of course because at that time the Urshans learned about the polarity of magnetized iron and how to use it. Just around that time literature drama was developed as well and culturally the Empire blossomed. In that age, the first age of discovery, science and education became important and all kinds of talented artisans appeared. One of the brightest ones was "Chio Kon" who also invented the compass a few years before and was a skilled ship designer. Besides being a scientist and a known engineer Chio was a skilled Hopper Cans player and was known for that all around the empire. The only problem was that in that age good musicians weren't that rare and Chio who was so used to being the best in everything felt disappointed and not good enough. Therefore when he returned from a 4 years cruise, checking his latest invention (Compass) he got the inspiration to create a magnet based instrument. He used the idea of the Silver Row (Ancient instrument which is in fact 4 bells hanging on a rope and a metal stick) and created the Magnetizing Gauntlets.

(Chio, playing the first time his new instrument in 731 AE)

Magnetizing Gauntlets:
This instrument is quite large and very expensive to make. Its base is two metal columns attached with a metal pipe. On this pipe there are 8-16 small ropes with metal balls tied at their ends. The musician is wearing two big metal gauntlets made from magnetize materials. Then he \ she sits on a small chair under the two columns and by moving his \ her hands he \ she is manipulating the small metal balls and making them collide to create sound. Each ball has a different shape, different size, different texture and some are even made from different materials. This is of course in order to create different sounds. It is considered very difficult to play the Magnetizing Gauntlets because it requires smooth movement, concentration and planning a head every move.

More to come: Grasping (Always saying that), Occupation System, Western Culture (None Imperial Culture), Western Warrior and Etc...

Always happy for comments and answering questions

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2006, 10:37:35 am »
That must be very heavy!  :P Very original idea anyway. Chio Kon seems like the Urshan da Vinci.  :D

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2006, 12:09:06 pm »
Ooh, nice.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2006, 12:49:17 pm »
That must be very heavy!   Very original idea anyway. Chio Kon seems like the Urshan da Vinci.   

More like Shen Kua combined with Alexander Neckam. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shen_Kua

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2006, 06:53:13 pm »
So what would the insturment sound like? Clacks of the hanging parts hitting each other?

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2006, 01:27:35 am »
Basically yes. Because of the diffrent shapes and materials it would have diffrent sounds though.
Generally the main effect the musician have on the sound is the speed of movment and the directions he is moving his hands.

Overall it would sound something like a Xylophone or few metal bells , ringing a few times in a row almost without pauses and after that short pauses between those rows.

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2006, 07:56:05 pm »
I was just thinking, If the Balancers feel that pain in one person leads to happiness for another....

Are there any sorts of Balancer ascetics who inflict pain on themselves for the good of others?
Spore RPG: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2069.0

STRAWBERRYCLOCK IS KING OF THE PORTAL