Author Topic: 2008 US Presidential Election-Official Discussion  (Read 542779 times)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 US Presidential Election-Official Discussion
« Reply #1200 on: August 24, 2008, 01:34:09 pm »
If anyone else wants to research him and his positions, this page may be helpful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Joe_Biden

He seems much more centrist (in US terms) than you guys were describing. His positions seem pretty mixed.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 01:37:06 pm by Daxx »

Offline PatMan33

• King of All Cosmos
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1201 on: August 24, 2008, 02:43:59 pm »
Joe Biden is a nice guy, I like him a lot.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #1202 on: August 24, 2008, 03:55:24 pm »
Personal observation: Obama/ Biden

What's the first thought that come in your head? Somehow that word association might not be a good thing.

(My first thought when seeing both names was Osama Bin Laden)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 04:12:45 pm by LadyM »

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: August 24, 2008, 04:05:35 pm »
That's rather unfortunate. I wonder how long it takes for McCain's team of blog trolls to start spreading that one for the Action Center points.

http://www.johnmccain.com/ActionCenter/BlogInteract/BlogInteract.aspx

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: August 24, 2008, 04:13:38 pm »
But...similarity of names....doesn't...mean....anything....

People are stupid.

Nitler 08!
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #1205 on: August 24, 2008, 04:15:48 pm »
It may be stupid but it happens. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same thought. Also, it's only unfortunate if you want Obama to win. I doubt it will make a difference, it was just an interesting thought that went through my head.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: August 24, 2008, 04:19:05 pm »
Well what I meant was that it's always an unfortunate coincidence to have a name similar to someone else who everyone hates. In the same way that in most of the west Adolf would be an unfortunate name to have, or Hussein, simply because some people will tend to negatively associate.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: August 24, 2008, 04:19:19 pm »
It may be stupid but it happens. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same thought. Also, it's only unfortunate if you want Obama to win. I doubt it will make a difference, it was just an interesting thought that went through my head.

I'd say it's unfortunate that people are stupid enough to base their vote on what a candidate's name sounds like. Once we reach that stage, we might as well pack in democracy altogether and flip a coin.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline PatMan33

• King of All Cosmos
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1208 on: August 24, 2008, 04:36:30 pm »
Bleh, it's irresponsible to bring that kind of observation into this kind of conversation.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: August 24, 2008, 04:38:34 pm »

I'd say it's unfortunate that people are stupid enough to base their vote on what a candidate's name sounds like. Once we reach that stage, we might as well pack in democracy altogether and flip a coin.

Nobody said anything about anybody basing their votes off of it.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: August 24, 2008, 04:43:23 pm »
A bit late, but I wanted to comment on this:

That's just the thing. Obama is almost too progressive. Moving forward at the rate he proposes is too fast (in my opinion), but also not a very smart move. I like his energy and his want for 'change', but thats the thing. I don't think he truly realizes what the political system is truly like. Half the stuff he proposes won't make it past the drawing board.

Half the stuff any presidential candidate proposes never sees the light of day.  They are either lofty campaign promises with no chance of coming to fruition, or are shot down by the legislature.  If you think Obama (or McCain) will deliver on all of his proposals, you're fooling yourself.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Ameg

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: August 24, 2008, 04:52:36 pm »
A bit late, but I wanted to comment on this:

That's just the thing. Obama is almost too progressive. Moving forward at the rate he proposes is too fast (in my opinion), but also not a very smart move. I like his energy and his want for 'change', but thats the thing. I don't think he truly realizes what the political system is truly like. Half the stuff he proposes won't make it past the drawing board.

Half the stuff any presidential candidate proposes never sees the light of day.  They are either lofty campaign promises with no chance of coming to fruition, or are shot down by the legislature.  If you think Obama (or McCain) will deliver on all of his proposals, you're fooling yourself.

Not true! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_K._Polk
*sigh* He's so dreamy.

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #1212 on: August 24, 2008, 05:45:01 pm »
He seems much more centrist (in US terms) than you guys were describing. His positions seem pretty mixed.

On many minor issues, he does have a fairly right wing stance but on things like personal freedoms, he's pretty left.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: August 24, 2008, 06:17:02 pm »
But...similarity of names....doesn't...mean....anything....

People are stupid.

Nitler 08!

Well, funny that names should be brought up. One of my social studies teachers told us that his grandmother voted in favor of the candidate's name which sounded better with president before it. This will probably lose them a few votes, but i don't think it will be too negative.

Well what I meant was that it's always an unfortunate coincidence to have a name similar to someone else who everyone hates. In the same way that in most of the west Adolf would be an unfortunate name to have, or Hussein, simply because some people will tend to negatively associate.

Well, Obama's middle name is Hussein...

Bleh, it's irresponsible to bring that kind of observation into this kind of conversation.

Not really, it points out how people can think when it comes to election time. A name can actually make a large difference.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 06:21:10 pm by Josasa »

Offline PatMan33

• King of All Cosmos
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1214 on: August 24, 2008, 06:59:44 pm »
Hm... you're right, Josasa. The point is yours.