Author Topic: 2008 US Presidential Election-Official Discussion  (Read 542778 times)

Offline Brandonazz

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
Re: 2008 US Presidential Election-Official Discussion
« Reply #840 on: July 27, 2008, 01:27:14 pm »
I'm sorry but when the might be future president decides to not go visit the wounded soldiers who risk their lives for our freedom because the event cant be televised, that is a major issue to me.

I'm sorry but when the might be future president wants to prolong an occupation and create wounded soldiers who risk their lives because of a pointless conflict, that is a major issue to me.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: July 27, 2008, 01:38:47 pm »
Another mega-spin non-issue overshadows the real issues in the campaign.
It speaks volumes about a man running to lead a country.

No, it doesn't. Obama isn't 'fraternising with the enemy' by visiting Arabs. Amazingly, not all Arabs are bomb-wielding towel-wearing psychopaths who only stop murdering Americans so they can scrawl 'I hate freedom' on their Turbans before eating Camel testicles. Some are, in fact, suit-wearing diplomatic types who might be attempting to help resolve the constant quagmire of war that is the Middle East.

I think whether or not you pretend to care about wounded American soldiers has no relation to how good you are at managing a country. If Obama visits troops, he is simply trying to get votes. If Mccain does it, he's re-living his glory days murdering innocents in Vietnam. You're taking unrelated issues; "Obama visits Arabian countries' and 'Obama cancels date with wounded soldiers' to turn them into 'Obama is a traitor'. Which speaks volumes.

Didn't say fraternizing with the enemy now did i?. Did i mention anything about bomb wielding towel wearing psychopaths?. No no i didn't.

I would not of said Obama was visiting the troops for votes had he actually done so. But he proved thats what he was doing by not going because he couldn't take his campaign people with him. And i sincerely hope you weren't serious about the Vietnam bit.

Never said Obama was a traitor ether so please don't put words in my mouth.

DOH how could i forget around here i have to blindly support Obama or it  speaks volumes about me ::).

I'm sorry but when the might be future president decides to not go visit the wounded soldiers who risk their lives for our freedom because the event cant be televised, that is a major issue to me.

I'm sorry but when the might be future president wants to prolong an occupation and create wounded soldiers who risk their lives because of a pointless conflict, that is a major issue to me.

Then its a major issue to you. But thats your opinion on the conflict not everyone feels the same way.

What Obama did however is a fact it happened and the proof is in everyones faces. What gets me more is not the people that deny it. But the people who think what he did is okay
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 01:40:34 pm by Gorman Conall »

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: July 27, 2008, 01:53:23 pm »
What Obama did however is a fact it happened and the proof is in everyones faces.

There is a world of difference between not going and the reasons for not going.
McCain didn't visit the wounded veterans this week either... he didn't even consider it.
Why not read in something horrible to that?
How could a potential president not even consider visiting wounded veterans?
That sounds even worse than listening to the Pentagon about not visiting wounded veterans on a campaign funded trip.

Clearly, facts and extrapolations are not the same thing.

Obama was planning to go. But canceled because it would do nothing more to get him into the presidential office. Then multiple excuses were given as to why. And the pentagon DID NOT advise him not to go.

Watch the video.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=8985820&ch=4226716&src=new

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: July 27, 2008, 02:04:10 pm »
Obama go's to palace to palace visiting various Arabic political leaders..but canceled his visit to injured troops in Germany

It makes me sick to think about that. Then again a lot of things he does makes me sick.

Didn't say fraternizing with the enemy now did i?. Did i mention anything about bomb wielding towel wearing psychopaths?. No no i didn't.

I would not of said Obama was visiting the troops for votes had he actually done so. But he proved thats what he was doing by not going because he couldn't take his campaign people with him. And i sincerely hope you weren't serious about the Vietnam bit.

Never said Obama was a traitor ether so please don't put words in my mouth.

Sorry, but it seems that is exactly what you're implying, stating that you have little faith in a leader who has time to visit Arabs but not wounded soldiers. I personally think it's totally irrelevant whether either candidate visits wounded soldiers, neither of them do it because they care, they do it because they want votes. Obama is simply trying to win; McCain would do exactly the same in his situation. Politicians are soulless, manipulating bastards, whether they're on your side of the fence or not.

Then I exaggerated and jazzed it up a little. But this is an argument about political spin, is it not?

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: July 27, 2008, 02:15:30 pm »
Well i still do not get what the big deal is.

Anyway it sounds rather messy. It could be as simple as a misunderstanding.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: July 27, 2008, 02:18:29 pm »
Why is it a big deal that Obama took a world trip? I am an Obama supporter, I guess, but there was too much media coverage of the trip. 

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: July 27, 2008, 02:59:55 pm »
In other news, Gorman can't do due diligence by checking the post he's responding to, even after a quarter of an hour.

« Last Edit: Today at 06:42:57 PM by Daxx »
« Reply #865 on: Today at 06:58:39 PM »

Film at eleven.

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: July 27, 2008, 03:10:27 pm »
Why is it a big deal that Obama took a world trip? I am an Obama supporter, I guess, but there was too much media coverage of the trip. 

To promote his cause and also to acquire more minions followers, duh ::)
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇“)人(“∇`)人(`∇“)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: July 27, 2008, 03:20:19 pm »
Why is it a big deal that Obama took a world trip?

Probably because it is his first major trip abroad, and he's been given an amazing reception by the US's allies who love him to bits.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: July 27, 2008, 04:26:38 pm »
My bad, serves me right for taking at face value the claims that he'd never been to Iraq. A quick google search shows that you're right, of course. Well, it's at least his first as nominee, since he's become a household name outside the US.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 04:28:50 pm by Daxx »

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #850 on: July 27, 2008, 06:05:01 pm »
You did, however, say that it makes you sick to think about Obama going from palace to palace visiting Arabs instead of visiting wounded soldiers (which you don't seem to want him doing anyway, since it would only be for the votes).
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: July 27, 2008, 09:51:19 pm »
Well, since I kinda stirred up this whole Obama's World Trip thing, I guess I should throw in my two cents.

Of course Obama got exponentially more coverage during his trip than McCain got that week.  McCain was doing the usual small town, middle of nowhere photo ops and town hall meetings that go with running for President.  Obama was addressing hundreds of thousands of adoring fans from a mountain top.

The real measure of media bias is to see how they are covered when both candidates are doing the same type of campaigning.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Brandonazz

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #852 on: July 27, 2008, 10:18:22 pm »
Why is this even under debate? We know that they prefer to cover Obama. Media = Entertainment. McCain is boring.

That said, complaining that his incredibly successful world tour is getting covered is just silly.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 10:20:41 pm by Brandonazz »

Offline PatMan33

• King of All Cosmos
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #853 on: July 27, 2008, 10:32:28 pm »
I like Obama, I hope he wins.

Offline Ameg

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: July 27, 2008, 11:27:12 pm »
Basically this election is about the transition from the baby boomer generation having the majority political sway to their children and grandchildren.

Honestly I've found that people in my generation (teens to mid-twenties) often dismiss the realpolitik of yesteryear simply because their parents bought into it. However I think placing so much faith in idealistic, young, inexperienced leaders is, at best a gamble.

I don't know for certain if Obama truly desires the change he's his campaign on. Or even exactly what the change is focused on. Many (some great) politicians have run on such things such as Teddy's Square Deal, FDR's New Deal, JFK's New Frontier, Johnson's Great Society. But all of them had definite issues that they addressed, if not definite strategy. 

Unfortunately for Obama, he's a Catch 22. Of those that believe he truly wants change, some believe it shows his youth and inexperience. Cynics may think it's merely another slogan used in an attempt at power mongering. It's hard to decide whether he is innocent or insidious. Harder still to decide which one is preferable.

Other nations embrace him, but I wouldn't necessarily consider that a good sign for voters in America. Every politician serves their constituency, including those in other countries. What is good for them may not be in our best interest.

While it may appear I'm just bashing Obama (I am conservative) I'm trying to keep this in a non-partisan viewpoint. There's simply not much to say about McCain. He represents the status quo. We know the country won't break under his leadership. On the same token, he brings less opportunity for improvement.

Obama is a multifaceted gamble. On the first roll of the dice, we find out if he's truly practicing what he preaches. On the next, we find out whether or not that collapses this house of cards or solidifies it.

While I personally will vote along my Republican party lines, I also submit to the likelihood that Obama is our next president. Let's hope he doesn't screw this up. I'm fairly sure if there's a God, I asked not to be alive during a Great Depression.