Author Topic: News for your Blues  (Read 462531 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: News for your Blues
« Reply #2115 on: September 26, 2015, 08:53:32 am »
They've got a few problems. What happened the other day is nowhere close to an isolated incident.

Since the year 2000 over 1,400 people have died from stampede events alone. In 1990 over 1,400 died from a single stampede. And they don't seem to record anything prior to that on this page. This doesn't mention fires, riots, disease and exhaustion, and a recent issue with poor construction and regulation causing deaths. The Saudis are not in a defensible position over this. They owe it to their citizens and to the faithful, as the stewards of Mecca to do better.

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: September 26, 2015, 10:20:45 am »
a blessing to die on the Hajj... it is some sort of peaceful "martyr plus" sort of deal.

Sounds like a better deal than going on a Crusade. 10/10 religion would convert.
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: September 26, 2015, 06:03:35 pm »
a blessing to die on the Hajj... it is some sort of peaceful "martyr plus" sort of deal.

Sounds like a better deal than going on a Crusade. 10/10 religion would convert.

> 1096
> Considering being an infidel
> I Pray to Almighty God Thou Woulds't Not Behave Thus.

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: September 27, 2015, 03:28:11 am »
Dude what are you talking about?

I swear, you use real words but nothing you've said the past couple of days makes any sense.

Offline Brandonazz

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #2119 on: September 27, 2015, 04:57:05 am »
I'm pretty sure he's testing a new chat bot.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #2120 on: September 27, 2015, 09:26:59 am »
I tried to find this tweet of his and good luck. That account spams a ludicrous amount of other people's messages.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: September 28, 2015, 01:04:15 am »
What Dawkins should have learned is that he's basically an ass and people get annoyed with him because he genuinely says dumb **** like half the time.

A friend of mine aptly summed him up as basically a professional internet troll.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2122 on: September 28, 2015, 08:36:03 am »
Maybe. I don't even really know who the guy is. But I bet most of his problem is with the medium.

He's opinionated. And opinionated people encounter disagreement all the time. But you've got the Internet now where people just decide they want you to die if you say something they disagree with. And you've got a really lame mass media that would rather follow juicy backlash and controversy built around fake/hammy reactions instead of doing the work because aforementioned people love hearing about "people in high places" being told to die by nobodies.

BTW, go suck a lemon, Sam.

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: September 28, 2015, 08:43:16 am »
I will not comment because I know from experience that, whatever I might say, it would be twisted in some bizarrely negative way.

This is bizarre. In what world would this be taken better than just something like "my sympathies" or just nothing at all?
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2124 on: September 28, 2015, 08:46:45 am »
He's the athiest guy, right?

A guy like him probably can't say anything about religion anymore without morons going off the deep end.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: September 28, 2015, 10:44:15 am »

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: September 28, 2015, 11:59:47 am »
Dawk's great but as far as internet trolls go he's nowhere near professional.

Barely even places in amateur leagues.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: September 28, 2015, 03:07:38 pm »
Right, except he doesn't actually contribute much at all.

He was a good geneticist/zoologist and his science books are interesting and indeed informative. His mistake was thinking that being a good scientist somehow qualifies him to talk with any authority about religion.

A lot of people seem to think that because there was some conflict between Charles Darwin's supporters and the church it means biologists are the best people to argue against religion.

Dawkins' brand of atheism is ****ty. He just indiscriminately hates on religion and insists it's a primitive behaviour we should have somehow "evolved" out of, ignoring the fact that the majority of the planet thinks it's important and good (the very fact so many people think it's important de facto makes it important). His views pretty much fly in the face of modern thinking in the social sciences and moral philosophy.

I say all this as a lifelong atheist so I'm not just saying he's dumb because he said my imaginary friend was fake.

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: September 28, 2015, 03:09:57 pm »
I say all this as a lifelong atheist so I'm not just saying he's dumb because he said my imaginary friend was fake.

I bet it's because when you were a child he told you that Santa wasn't real
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: September 28, 2015, 03:12:09 pm »
I can't believe people have to be told Santa isn't real. I feel like after a science class or two by the end of elementary school the whole fraud should be clear
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.