Author Topic: I am planning on buying a Geforce 7800 GT!  (Read 4386 times)

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
I am planning on buying a Geforce 7800 GT!
« on: November 30, 2005, 08:37:37 am »
As the topic says I am interested in buying this card, to replace my current Redeon 9800 XT. Because, from what I read, it is worth more for less money then the GTX model is. 2100kr is around 330 US dollars, though this isn't as much as the GTX's 4100kr (647$), and reading through some post it seems that the GT is worth more for the money. Currently I think I will buy it early 2006 February because that is after my birthday and I will probably know at that time what to do with my PC (I have a blue screen problem right now).

Now I am not making this theard to brag (I would probably say a better card then). I am just interested in knowing if this would be a good purchase? Since there are a ton of great looking games coming out, as well as a lot that already require a good card I was wondering. The rest of my PC is good enough for now, though I am also buying 512 Ram soon.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Ameg

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
Re: I am planning on buying a Geforce 7800 GT!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 09:15:32 am »
  Currently my brother is trying to build his "super computer" and he's looked around and also thought the 7800 was a good deal. You should look at many different stores before you buy though, there are many different prices out there.

I've also seen where you can have dual graphics card of the same type. So you might check if you can get maybe 2 lesser cards with this at a better price and still pump out better graphics.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 10:13:16 am »
  Currently my brother is trying to build his "super computer" and he's looked around and also thought the 7800 was a good deal. You should look at many different stores before you buy though, there are many different prices out there.

I probably will, though online prices are often much cheaper then in stores. And edbpriser.dk is the greatest collection of website prices in Denmark.

I've also seen where you can have dual graphics card of the same type. So you might check if you can get maybe 2 lesser cards with this at a better price and still pump out better graphics.

Yes you are tinking about Sli (at least that is what is called for Geforce), but at this point it isn't worth the price. That may change in the future, but right now it is only around 40% or so better, with more power draining and higher noise.

PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 10:19:34 am »
Can i have your 9800?  ;D  Kidding, (although that would be nice!) yeah i'd check out www.newegg.com and just compare prices around the place - or even go for the Radeon 1800 - that looks like a total beast i'd love to have that card.

Offline otaku62

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 10:23:30 am »
I've got a ASUS Extreme N7800GT since a couple of weeks now and I am very happy with it. For the first time I am able to play even the newest games at the highest settings (of course this also depends on your CPU and Memory). I bought this GPU becouse it was recommended for high end gaming machines in lots of different magazines (American and German).
If you're not sure, you can always search for reviews on the web.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 10:37:54 am »
Can i have your 9800?  ;D  Kidding, (although that would be nice!) yeah i'd check out www.newegg.com and just compare prices around the place - or even go for the Radeon 1800 - that looks like a total beast i'd love to have that card.

I actually went with the GT because it was (considering) cheap and was still very strong. If I were to go with the best of the best I would get me one of those 7800 GTX 512 MB cards, they are hellish expensive but I am pretty sure they are better then any thing else on the market. I can't use newegg since they don't ship outside of the US and most of the prices are pretty close to the Danish price, though after taxes it will probably be the same if not more. Though  I do think that the websites at edbpriser are the cheapest I will find.

Also I thought you had a better card then a 9800 XT?

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 10:44:25 am »
I've got a ASUS Extreme N7800GT since a couple of weeks now and I am very happy with it. For the first time I am able to play even the newest games at the highest settings (of course this also depends on your CPU and Memory). I bought this GPU becouse it was recommended for high end gaming machines in lots of different magazines (American and German).
If you're not sure, you can always search for reviews on the web.

I have Samsung 2x256 DDR ram and I am buying another 512 block. My CPU is a Intel Pentium 4, 3,0 GHZ. I would like a AMD but the Intel should do fine for some time.

I have read some reviews and it does seem it is very good. I just wanted to be sure.

Offline PatMan33

• King of All Cosmos
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 12:33:33 pm »
I have a lot of friends getting the 7800 GT as well.

I am not sure if it is tre with the 7800 GT but the 6800 GT (Which I have) can be overclocked to match the 6800 Ultra with relative ease.

If you can do that with your 7800 GT that would be nice. It would save you lots of cash!

Your choice in cards is great, but see if you can find a 7800 GT that was manufactured by BFG Technologies. I have heard by a few people that theirs ship already overclocked to the max.

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 01:01:26 pm »
9800XT does not need to be replaced right now. It's a pretty kick ass card still. Just can't run everything at high at 1600*1200.
Word of advice, a bigger screen doesn't mean better.
I'm on a highway to hell.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 01:16:01 pm »
9800XT does not need to be replaced right now. It's a pretty kick ass card still. Just can't run everything at high at 1600*1200.
Word of advice, a bigger screen doesn't mean better.

I know it doesn't need to be replaced, I would just like a better card so I can play every thing on full and faster. I am not replacing it right now I am still waiting a bit.

Of course I also have a 19 Inch 1600*1200 (ironic isn't it?), and I would like to play all my games on the full glory of it. The change is pretty noticeable and playing with a small resolution really just looks annoying some times.