Author Topic: let the flaming commence!  (Read 9036 times)

Offline schragnasher

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
Re: let the flaming commence!
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2005, 12:54:27 pm »
For one, WoW didn't go for an ultra-realistic looking unviverse such as EQ2 tried to do (which .01% of gamers can run with even decent looking graphics). It stuck to signature Warcraft 3 cartoony type animation and pulls it off fantastic.

Exactly! The look is nothing new, it looks like warcraft.

It has a background! For the most part MMOs including everquest have pretty much no story readily available.

Obviously you have never played EQ. It has just as much story as WoW, EQ2 is even better, not only does the world have a story, everyone quest is highly detailed dramatically, WITH VOICE ACTING!

They made the world into much more distinct areas. In other MMOs you could hardly tell the difference between two zones. In WoW, you can literally go from a swamp to a desert in seconds or a light-filled shire forest to dread woods infested with undead and actually feel the difference.

Hmm, EQ2 has desert, forest, dungeons, mountains, plains, arctic terrain... Im not a fanboy for SOE, im just trying to prove a point here.

But, for the most part what makes it unique is that it does everything that other MMOs have done, and in spades. It is the culmination of the features present in most and will continue to expand into better things. Blizzard is notorious for making old formulas into something amazing and WoW doesn't deviate.

That makes it derivative not unique.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2005, 02:01:54 pm »
This looks like a good place to plug Anarchy Online.

I blame Steve for reminding me it's free.

-Samog
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Ameg

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2005, 08:55:15 pm »
Exactly! The look is nothing new, it looks like warcraft.

Unique doesn't have to be new if it's by the same maker. The game board has the trademark exaggerated characters as the MMO which had the same unique look as Warcraft 3.

Obviously you have never played EQ. It has just as much story as WoW, EQ2 is even better, not only does the world have a story, everyone quest is highly detailed dramatically, WITH VOICE ACTING!

Obviously I didn't play EQ before Kunark and don't know what I'm talking about. I'm sorry, but the "story" in EQ was entirely driven by putting out new content. They didn't introduce Planes of Power for the story, it was merely a high level content expansion with "oh yea, let's throw in some storyline!". EQ2 did do a much better job, I'll admit. If only it were fun :D.

Hmm, EQ2 has desert, forest, dungeons, mountains, plains, arctic terrain... Im not a fanboy for SOE, im just trying to prove a point here.

Certainly "desert, forest, dungeons, mountains, plains, and arctic terrain" aren't unique in one single game. I'm just saying that each of these areas are much more distinct than previous MMOs.

That makes it derivative not unique.

It's unique in that it derivates so well. ??? . I'll let you ponder that dodge for awhile. ;D

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2005, 04:29:23 pm »
and coming soon WoW home pregancy tests let the merchendising machine roll on.

oh god that cracked me up
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2005, 08:08:47 pm »
the people that would buy it would never use it.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD