Author Topic: Gripe Thread  (Read 397037 times)

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Gripe Thread
« Reply #3825 on: March 07, 2014, 07:35:03 am »
It's only an annoying question because I study linguistics. :P

There's not enough information bandwidth in human language to support the number of thoughts going on in your brain. There is a process in the brain which plays back a sort of virtual voice inside your brain, but this doesn't account for your entire internal narrative.

If people thought in words, then you wouldn't be able to think of things you don't have words for.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: March 07, 2014, 02:11:56 pm »
Tesla, you're so smart. I mean that sincerely. The things you speak of fascinate me.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: March 07, 2014, 02:28:51 pm »
I always believed you think in thoughts
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PikMini

• Scramble Skipper
  • o_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: March 07, 2014, 03:02:22 pm »
thoughts can be words, as well as other things is all he said

i'm sure everyone has different thoughts regarding what it means to think at all, and ultimately what comprises those things

i want to believe in a pre-language of concepts, a mass of unbelievably simple and intuitive concepts we acquire from our senses as well as congenitally

such a thing could explain why we are unable to remember things as an infant or womb? i don't know

perhaps these basic concepts could become together forming further, more complex concepts and so on

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: March 07, 2014, 04:04:11 pm »
i want to believe in a pre-language of concepts, a mass of unbelievably simple and intuitive concepts we acquire from our senses as well as congenitally

Yeah, it's sometimes called "mentalese."

such a thing could explain why we are unable to remember things as an infant or womb? i don't know

This is gonna bother me, because there's actually a name for that exact hypothesis and I can't remember it. It's pretty much debunked though. There are other examples of people without or with severely stunted language, such as aphasics, and they can form memories just fine. Personally I think it's just because the brain isn't very developed at that stage and there's not much of an evolutionary advantage to remembering your infancy.

Tesla, you're so smart. I mean that sincerely. The things you speak of fascinate me.

Thanks man, this forum is pretty smart in general though. Linguistics is cool too. Lots of weird thoughts to think.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 04:06:49 pm by Spooky Tesla »
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3830 on: March 07, 2014, 08:16:24 pm »
It's only an annoying question because I study linguistics.

The magic is gone now, Always. :(

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #3831 on: March 07, 2014, 11:45:20 pm »
Just wait until you learn about the Easter Bunny.

Also, I have a gripe. Actually, I have a very long list of gripes, but some of them might get me chewed out by LadyM, so I'll keep it succinct.

My computer sound hasn't worked for months. Even got a sound card and that didn't work. My father and I went through the whole song and dance of reassembling the internals and re-installing drivers to no avail. I've had a USB headset that has kept me sane, though, as it bypasses whatever was messed up with the internals.

So my father decided to fix it his usual way by replacing the motherboard, and I've been picking up the pieces of my computer's data since, a mere shell now of its former self. My computer is full of partitions reserved for system files from broken windows installations on the other drives. Every time the computer starts up it wants to run chkdsk on the terrabyte drive, but if I let it, it eventually reaches a point where it stops and proceeds no further, and if I restart it does the exact same thing. Until I transfer everything important off the drive, format it, and put a fresh installation on it (to get off of the slow drive I'm using now), navigating directories will take ages. Somehow I don't know my chrome sync pass-- wait, I remembered it. And now I have to sort through a mess of a merge between the bookmark backup I just imported and my most recent sync.

But at least the audio jacks work now. :|

Oh, and for some reason Loadout, which CtD'd before, suddenly works, without me even moving its folder to my new steamapps. Witchcraft.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 12:46:19 am by Brandonazz »

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: March 08, 2014, 03:17:02 am »
This gripe is a little unusual, but it gets on my nerves whenever I see questions like "what language do you think in?" or "do deaf people think in sign language?" Anything like that.

You don't think in words. You don't think in words. YOU DON'T THINK IN WORDS.

You can think in words, and you're inclined to automatically begin thinking in words whenever you think about thinking in words, but you don't automatically go around with this voice in your head telling you what to do. So silly.

I suspect people are aware of this and are wonder what language people think in when they do start thinking in words.
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: March 09, 2014, 07:53:07 pm »
Trader Joe's just repackaged their whole wheat bagels... by reducing the size of the bagels by 25%.  They are now tiny useless things.  :(

This is as lame as when Haagen Dazs repackaged their "pints" of ice cream to be 14 ounces.

Well Trader Joe's is tacky and lame.
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: March 09, 2014, 08:19:26 pm »
I thought people just went there for cheap wine.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #3835 on: March 19, 2014, 08:40:06 pm »
Dunno if this counts as a gripe, but darn, man, I was from a parking lot near the intersection, and when I went out I drove to the leftmost lane so I could enter the main road.

Or at least that's what I thought I was doing.

What actually happened is that I entered the wrong lane, just one short of the leftmost, and when the green light on the leftmost lane went on my brain turned off and I began driving to the left. Luckily, there was only one car to my left, which my vision centers registered but the rest of my brain apparently failed to realize. Thus, as I was halfway across the pedestrian crossing, the lights flashed, signalling my judgement.

Now there is but only a fearful expectation of a $400 ticket, of skyrocketing premiums, and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of my folks.

Pardon my French, but...

Foutre.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 08:42:54 pm by Yuu »

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: March 19, 2014, 09:54:28 pm »

"The story actually begins in 1770, with one Richard Trevithick, engineer, being visited by a stranger swaddled in rags to obscure his face and the precise dimensions of his body.  Plans for a steam-powered "road locomotive" are thrust into Richard's hands.  "But... but these are far beyond current technology," Richard whispers, stunned.  A voice issues from the rags, manically, too screechy to be completely human, the syllables incomplete, malformed.  Years later, all Richard will ever claim to have understood are two words, repeated over and over again.  "Puffing devil, puffing devil, puffing devil.""
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #3837 on: March 19, 2014, 10:30:00 pm »
I don't want to drive.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: March 19, 2014, 10:49:38 pm »
My gripe is how rarely dinosaur comics is referenced on this forum aside from just now.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: March 20, 2014, 04:39:47 am »
That's a white person gripe Sgore.  >:(
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.