Author Topic: Spore Engine 2.0  (Read 10779 times)

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
Spore Engine 2.0
« on: July 11, 2005, 03:53:20 am »
Continuing some of the ideas The Potential of Spore Thread Advanced. (The Potential of Spore Is a great read, I suggest you Read It if you have not done so)

I was cruising around the GDC Website and played the Tim Sweeney Presentation.  In It He talks about The Unreal Engine 3, and also the Editing Tools Used with Epic Games line of great games.  His Ideas are pretty good, and the idea of updating, improving, and repackaging the engine for building games Promises to improve on the basics of games.

Any way... the Thread raised the idea of adding on components to spore to make it a genuine Uber Game, things like First Person View allowing a player to experience the galaxy on a personal level. Seeing visuals of the Unreal engine along with Remembering the Thread, made me think about just what things a spore engine could do to the game industry.

A game based around the spore engine would allow games of many varieties (Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Modern) and of single and multiple genre (RTS, RPG, FPS). It would also allow games based around single portions of the game (ground, space).
 Posters on the Thread pointed out it allows a Combination of all these things as well as in spore.

But my point is about taking the spore engine and the best parts of spore (Player generated content, Procedural program... animation...graphics) and applying them to other Forms of game play in other games besides spore.

So, I'm asking what games would you apply the spore engine to (as in stand alone non spore games) or what game elements would you add to spore (if you had all the time to program them in)?

Some Ideas:

Imagine Battlefield 2/ Unreal style games In cities/ locations made with a Sim City 4 style terrain editor and based around a larger spore style world i.e. a single map that expands into a larger world.

Imagine battles across entire worlds, if the spore engine were to be applied to an RTS. It could have huge worlds populated with simulations of individual soldiers or the ability assume the role of a single soldier and to play them in a FPS style game. Imagine a KOTOR style game with a huge galaxy of worlds to visit.
(Spore engine applied to Maxis Properties:
The Sims 4 with towns and cities your sim can explore miniature worlds
or Sim City 5 with miniature sim simulations running around the city.)

Or be bold, like some people have suggested, and incorporate these themes into a single game.  This is my hope for Spore expansions, but even if Maxis doesn’t follow that Idea i hope the make the Spore engine available to other developers for more games.
It looks like Sony is already planning for the Era of the Engines as they advance in their Cell Presentation

"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline jujubee

• Missile Commander
  • Notoriously Unnotorious
    • View Profile
Re: Spore Engine 2.0
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 05:16:09 am »
interesting idea... and I agree the potenial of spore thread was great.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 07:20:11 am »
The engine would definitely be awesome for doing all of that, and I would love to see procedural elements in a FPS. Dynamic map generation is something that could get very interesting. (Forests for a paintball game, for example.) The problem is getting all of that into the engine, since I have a feeling that, as loose as the engine will be, it will still be pretty specialized for Spore and nothing else. Removing those specializations would turn it into something a lot like Havok's physics engine. Spore could be a reality engine, so to speak. It would be very interesting to see how that turned out.

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 08:50:59 am »
Spore could be a reality engine, so to speak.

Now that's a term I can get behind. Spore the Game can be the light fun experience Will wanted it to be and I'm sure none of us would complain. But Maxis would be fools to let the opportunity to create the Spore "Reality Engine" slip through their fingers.

I think that's really the key I was going for: creating this ever-expandable engine that can be as powerful as a developer wants and needs it to be.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 09:30:08 am »
Spore could be a reality engine, so to speak.

Now that's a term I can get behind. Spore the Game can be the light fun experience Will wanted it to be and I'm sure none of us would complain. But Maxis would be fools to let the opportunity to create the Spore "Reality Engine" slip through their fingers.

I think that's really the key I was going for: creating this ever-expandable engine that can be as powerful as a developer wants and needs it to be.

"Reality Engine" is the perfect description of it, just imagine RPGs that allow dynamic change in style and scope start our as a witch and end up as
the commander of a battle cruisar in galactic patrol.

imagine gta on galaxy spanning scales, or battelfield 2 on a thosand different worlds.
I can just see what creat your own gun or tank could do to the fps genera alone

the presentation by Tim Sweeney shows an editor rendering the game on the fly to do realtime level design.... just got a creepy dark city vibe.
so what would ingame availible tools and huge databases of worlds and objects do to our favorite games?

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 11:13:37 am »
A great game that could be made would be 3D realtime roguelike game. You would pick from a range of races and then modify your appearencce. All of the dungeons, quests, monsters and weapons would be generated so it would be a different experience each time you play.

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 11:40:11 am »
the presentation by Tim Sweeney shows an editor rendering the game on the fly to do realtime level design.... just got a creepy dark city vibe.
so what would ingame availible tools and huge databases of worlds and objects do to our favorite games?

Now imagine that editor he showed being built INTO a game, player accessible. And imagine if it utilized dynamic systems. THERE'S a reality engine for you.

Offline Silver_Kiwi

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 12:08:50 pm »
All very interesting ideas. Personally, I'd love the idea of a dynamic game, ranging from UT-style to RTS elements.
Couple that with something like RPG storytelling, and you've got a darn nice thing.
Throw in procedurally generated content, and I'm completley sold...;)
Personally, I don't know if this will happen because of Spore, but the fact that someone is making a game based upon procedural content gives me hope.

Maybe not from Spore, but it almost seems like the natural progression for some games...
Silver_Kiwi

Offline Oviraptor

• Shinobi Ninja
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 12:14:32 pm »
You know... Spore or games made from or by or with Spore, etc, is starting to soun a lot like the Fantasy Game in Ender's Game. (For those of you that haven't read it, the ame basically allows you to do whatever you want, to put it simply). Especially once Ender defeats the giant.

Offline Otsune

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 08:15:51 pm »
(Spore engine applied to Maxis Properties:
The Sims 4 with towns and cities your sim can explore miniature worlds
or Sim City 5 with miniature sim simulations running around the city.)
The mind boggles!

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2005, 09:09:32 pm »
Well, what I see as the main cool things about Spore, from a gameplay perspective, are A) cool editors for changing things important to the simulation and B) seeing how the stuff I make plays out in the simulation (just like most of Will Wright's stuff).  I'd love to see those ideas used in more games.  For instance, altering the physiology of your avatar to see how it affects is combat/movement abilities in a Ratchet+Clank-esque platformer or designing your own magic spells or maybe a game where one person designs the map while others or bots play another game on it.  Particle Suck over at http://www.experimentalgameplay.com is a great example. 

Spore-toys like that would really interest me.  Whereas spore-content and procedural methods don't in themselves do much to make me interested in playing a game.  Though they are exciting from a development standpoint.

also I was just thinking:
Ever since I looked into the character-creation rules in the pen+paper RPG Champions I've longed for a computer game that offered that kind of flexibility in character abilities.  Something very Spore-like seems like the best hope for how this could come about.
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 04:56:47 am »
You know... Spore or games made from or by or with Spore, etc, is starting to soun a lot like the Fantasy Game in Ender's Game. (For those of you that haven't read it, the ame basically allows you to do whatever you want, to put it simply). Especially once Ender defeats the giant.

The "Mind Game" exactly what i thought, but the question is how to connect vastly different genres and different scales?
how do you go from Puzzle to RTS or from FPS tp RPG, how do you blend being a soldier into being a the commander of an entire war.

On the spore game side of things, I went to see "War of the Worlds", anyone else think about the willosaurus war on the 3rd planet.
Imagine dropping mechs on a world or terraforming it while the local population is still alive, like using that volcano gun on an alien city.

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 07:18:22 am »
The "Mind Game" exactly what i thought, but the question is how to connect vastly different genres and different scales?
how do you go from Puzzle to RTS or from FPS tp RPG, how do you blend being a soldier into being a the commander of an entire war.

S2 Games' "Savage"
http://www.s2games.com/savage/

Some others I haven't played, but looked up:

***RPG + RTS
Kingdom Under Fire: Crusaders
Dark Frontier
Spellforce: The Order Of Dawn
KnightShift
Once Upon a Knight

***RPG + Simulator
Age of Pirates

***FPS + RTS
Savage

***RTS + Simulator
Blitzkrieg

***FPS + Simulator + RPG
Caveman

***FPS + RPG
America's Army
Arx Fatalis

***RTS + Puzzle
Commandos 2
Pikmin

***RPG + Puzzle
Archos

***FPS + Platformer
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath

***RPG + Platformer
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

***FPS + Puzzle
Project Eden
Half-Life 2

***FPS + Puzzle + Strategy
Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30

***RTS & Godgame
Black & White 2

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 10:46:34 am »
You left out one...

RTS, RPG - Imperium Galactica 1.

It was by far one of the BEST games I've seen implemented for RTS and RPG... which is sad cause it was done 10 years ago...

You started as a commander of a destroyer doing missions and being a soldier and then you progressed in ranks as the game went on. Unlocking other features and such. And eventually you became an Admiral with complete control over all your forces, planets and production lines. You also gained increased diplomacy options as the game went on. It was one of the best games I've ever played. You had other races that you could interact with and depending on what you were and did you had races that would be more receptive to your trade or peace negotations. There was this one super strong race towrds the end that you had to out number 100 to one just to stand a chance, which sort of made it fun to move your squadrons around their flagships while you bombarded them with AntiMatter Guns. The human player always had a greater advantage but losing a fleet was not impossible... so you had to constantly manage and patrol your boarders... it was such a great game... because depending on the strength of your outlying colonies you could lose them instantly or have them almost take out an entire fleet of enemies if they attacked it... sometimes it be a hit and run tactic too... you hit a planet take out it's defences come back with a better fleet take out the rebuilt defense, land and wipe out the enemy. Other times you just took a plant over through force. I just enjoyed it.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley