Author Topic: Ring world  (Read 11020 times)

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
Ring world
« on: June 24, 2005, 01:56:17 am »
Ive been racking my brain on ways to creat a ringworld

came up with one idea

take a globe make two parrellel lines/ mountains around the planet (eqitoria)l or (pole to pole)
lower land between the walls and at opposing ends of the planet (poles) or (mid hemisphere)
you get a roughly plate like planet with with a habitable area inside the two walls

its not Niven or Halo, atleast it's not normal

I'd like a gravity control on the terraforming tools with slides going from -10 and + 10

with negative gravity you could do limited ring-worlds and dyson spheres.
with light gravity you cold see huge flying creatures
with huge gravity your creatures could be made uber strong against normal gravity.

more control of the position of the center of gravity and you could make disk worlds

add mirrors and solar shades along with my Luminus Orbital Orb and you've got the makings of a couple of solar engineering headaches.

site for interesting possibilities http://www.orionsarm.com/eg/topics/megastructures.html

"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Oviraptor

• Shinobi Ninja
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
Re: Ring world
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 07:41:01 am »
I'd like a gravity control on the terraforming tools with slides going from -10 and + 10

Negative gravity mean you would fly off the planet, I doubt they'd have that. But a gravity slider would be great.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 07:50:35 am »
i was thinking more of a diffuse gas cloud kind of thing

figure it would lower inherient gravity more or less or give a different density

give a jovian planet a few g's of nullifing mass ant you get a rocky world surrounded by a highy density cloud

do that to a star and you've got an explosion

do that to a planet and you get rubble

(been reading boy who would live forever, kind of seemed like a cooler planet buster) could it be thats what will showed us?............ :o Thats what Will showed, the planet buster reverses gravity!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 08:03:42 am by golgrig »

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 07:57:18 am »
Negative gravity mean you would fly off the planet

Not if you were on the INSIDE of a surface - ie: ringworlds, dyson spheres, rotating space stations

But a gravity slider would be great.

I agree, haven't seen anyone mention it yet. I wonder if at some point you will be given an option to create worlds from scratch, with total control over them (Magrathea-like) rather than throwing volcanoes and stuff onto them.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 07:58:43 am »
thats what black holes are for

look under interview 2

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 08:17:16 am »
sorry.. got a little mixed up will was only showing steve the gravity effects, but the nebula hold the promise of a new solar system

something like magrathea in spore gives me goose bumps......

i wonder if we can have pocket universes?

crude stellar husbantry can be done if you just have a few giant stars handy and some way to move them around verry fast........

geeze I had a mind bender, ever play Black and white?

remember throwing your villagers at mountains boulders and pretty much anything else?
now you can throw stars, planets and entire solar systems around to your hearts desires 
you play pool with planets of billions of people.

Offline Oviraptor

• Shinobi Ninja
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 09:47:33 am »

Not if you were on the INSIDE of a surface - ie: ringworlds, dyson spheres, rotating space stations

The problem you would have then is you would have to have a centripetal force that was greater than the negative G's. If you were on the inside of a ring with negative graviity, you would be pushed towards the center unless you countered it with a greater centripetal force. A regular planet would be ripped apart by the conflicting forces. Pretty much any significant amount of matter would be too unstable to stay together. It wouldn't work.

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 10:02:50 am »

The problem you would have then is you would have to have a centripetal force that was greater than the negative G's. If you were on the inside of a ring with negative graviity, you would be pushed towards the center unless you countered it with a greater centripetal force. A regular planet would be ripped apart by the conflicting forces. Pretty much any significant amount of matter would be too unstable to stay together. It wouldn't work.

I'm saying within Spore... They'd probably just rotate all the objects and the camera upside down and make gravity reverse itself to keep characters sticking to the inside of a ring or sphere rather than program some centripidal force. Easier to program.

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 01:18:47 pm »
Centripetal force is illusional.  It is not a separate force, it is just inertia wanting to keep you going in a straight line while the ring you are on the inside of forces you into a curve. 

So if they already have inertia and good collision handling, you get centripetal effects for free. 

But yeah, down at the level where you'd see critters running around they probably wouldn't want to simulate the planet/ring rotating, so they'd probably just rotate everything around like Jaleho said.  Zooming around at the civ level would be neat to see on a ringworld.
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline Oviraptor

• Shinobi Ninja
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 03:09:26 pm »
Centripetal force is illusional.  It is not a separate force, it is just inertia wanting to keep you going in a straight line while the ring you are on the inside of forces you into a curve. 

Centripetal force is real, it's centrifugal is the illusionary one. Centripetal force is the force of, in this case, the ring pushing back on the object which is trying to move in a straght line. The constant change in direction of the object is what keeps it "grounded" the the ring.

But yeah I agree, in the game it hardly matters since you don't have to follow laws physics.

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2005, 06:09:32 am »
Aw ****s. :-[   Now I'm embarassased.  *looks for raindrop-on-head smiley*
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline Oviraptor

• Shinobi Ninja
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2005, 06:19:48 am »
Aw s**ts. :-[   Now I'm embarassased.  *looks for raindrop-on-head smiley*

It's OK, centripetal and centrifugal force are two of the most often mixed up in physics.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2005, 06:22:35 am »
just glad we all know so much about "Artificial" gravity  ;D

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2006, 06:39:58 am »
wow, I hope we can find out soon if it's possible to create ring worlds or square worlds :)

Offline MadGiraffe

• Adventure Ace
  • Hmmm, colours.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 07:29:39 am »
wow, I hope we can find out soon if it's possible to create ring worlds or square worlds :)

Why should it actually?
I'm wondering , should we really cross the boundaries of reality as of now only to create weird looking planets with no real impact on how the creatures are there. Only size and planet type really do matter for that. Shape, nah don't thinks so, it ruins a lot of reality in the game, when I'm playing, I really don't want to see some stupidly shaped planets. Do we want that only to have some more options or control? I'm completely fine with only being able to create planets and have control on size, placement, and a bit on type.

Personal art galleries: