Author Topic: Wright Gets Passionate About Research  (Read 6142 times)

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
Wright Gets Passionate About Research
« on: March 23, 2006, 03:16:30 pm »
GDC: Wright Gets Passionate About Research

By Staff

Speaking to a full house for his GDC keynote, Will Wright gave a wide-ranging speech that drifted between basic principles of game design and his current passion for extra terrestrial life theories.Wright's overt passion for his work and infectious curiosity were apparent as he showed off how designs for his upcoming bio-sim Spore were driven by his own obsession with intergalactic life-forms. He stressed the importance of spending as much time as possible on research in the early stages of game development.

He advised, "Take time to reflect on your ideas. Cast as wide a research net as possible. Don't commit to any individual ideas too early. Discover the 90 percent of research material that is irrelevant and the 10 percent that is important. enjoy being obsessive. It helps a lot. Cultivate that obsession in your team."

Wright wisely addressed the powerful position that game creators have on those who play games, as he said "Games have an influence on players. We must not take that responsibility lightly or squander that."

He revealed the inspiration behind Spore, which came from a multitude of sources including Hubble, comic books, Stanley Kubrick, mid-1900 alien and space theorists and what he called "game archaeology". He said that he had "spent time playing a lot of old games", such as Microsoft Space Simulator, Celestia and Homeworld.

Wright noted the differences between his new project Spore and the difficult experience he had with The Sims Online. He likened his experiences with the two games with the analogy of switching from a large piece of industrial machinery to a Ferrari.

Later in the speech, he talked about the importance of getting the right people on a team. "A small number of very smart people is always better than a large group of quite smart people," he said.

Although he didn't show any Spore gameplay, he scrolled through an astounding variety of visual concepts from single-celled organisms to imaginary planetary systems as well as taxonomies of creature types and their anatomies.

intereseting no real info but no gameplay, oh well he's animated enough as it is

"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline raikitsune

• Intellivision Junkie
  • Ogbogistahni
    • View Profile
Re: Wright Gets Passionate About Research
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 03:40:34 pm »
 :'( we need will to give somthing maybe to Steve as a present for the forum lol.

Its very cool he knows his stuff though its always much better when the developer and idea man actually know what they're talking about.

but hey actually i've just realised i don't mind if theres no new spore footage i just wanna see will talk about it he's actually a really good speeker

Offline Zorlac

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Sporewiki
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 04:26:13 pm »
No actuall gameplay? It's going to be hard to get too much info from this... maybe e3 =[

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 06:07:19 pm »
GDC: Wright Shares Passion for Research, Insight into Spore

Legendary game designer, The Sims creator and Maxis co-founder Will Wright gave a keynote speech today at the Game Developers Conference delving into his passion for science, research, and his inspiration for developing the biology simulator Spore.

Wright joked that What's Next in Game Design? really wasn't the title of his presentation and he proceeded to cross out the title and rename it Fundamentals of Astrobiology. Although comical at first, Wright's keynote had much scientific discussion in it and not as much gameplay footage of Spore as we would have liked.

That said, his presentation showed once again what a unique individual and incredibly creative designer he is. He talked about embracing "your inner otaku" as he brought up one scientific slide after another. One of the main inspirations for Spore was Drake's equation, which is a mathematical expression used to predict the probability of life in the galaxy. Wright discussed Stan Miller who conducted the first original life experiment, autocatalytic sets, panspermia (life didn't start on earth but came to it, perhaps on a comet), and more. Other influences included sci-fi comics, the Hubble, Stanley Kubrick films, and games like Celestia and Homeworld. He also said that how aliens and robots are portrayed allow us to understand the boundaries of humanity.

As for design elements, Wright talked about innovation, which he said doesn't always guarantee success but gets a product "above the signal to noise ratio in the marketplace," and he discussed the project risks in technology, design, production, marketing and politics (meaning getting a green light from the publisher).

Wright also said that his teams are usually comprised of one-third mid-level people, one-third veterans and one-third young blood; he believes this is the optimal combination for efficiency in the content pipeline.

The goal behind Spore, he explained, is to allow players to sim everything; it's like your own personal universe. He outlined several deep messages that can be taken away from Spore: 1) Life is diverse; 2) Anyone can be creative; and 3) Space is not flat.

Ultimately, Wright stressed that game designers need to take their time at the beginning of a project and should give themselves time to reflect. They also should determine what 90 percent of all their influences to eventually leave out. They should enjoy being obsessive and should cultivate this same level of obsession in the team. Last but not least, game designers need to remember that they can change players at a deep level. Wright said, "It's something we shouldn't take lightly or squander."

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline catnip18

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 06:12:14 pm »
Nice.... some REAL info..... im so happy now :) :) :) :D ;D 8)

Offline Huasat

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 06:27:07 pm »
he didn't show any Spore gameplay

hah, i knew it. Now I'm going to sleep... until E3.

Offline catnip18

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 06:53:06 pm »
Im just glad we got some info.... even tho it isnt much.... btw as of now maxis/will wright/spore is not in the E3..... ???

Offline Xoatl_169

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
  • Beast MODE!
    • View Profile
    • Twi Light
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 06:58:13 pm »
WHat..... what do u mean there not in E3 .... like is there a E3 website and u didnt see will wright there or what...

( and if u mean that then just say its fine becuase u do not what to alert the public with this apocaliptice news)
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Dimitri1only

Leave me some comments would you?

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 07:02:21 pm »
from New Red Herring article:
Risks vs. Rewards

Of course, these risks on innovation have required major investments. Mr. Iwata admitted that the R&D and manufacturing costs for the controller have immense, though he declined to specify an amount.
Mr. Wright’s Spore, which will come out next year, will take a total of five years to build and an estimated $30 million. If either project fails, the companies could lose valuable market share.

big risks deserve big reward so heres to EA's gamble and more hope for an unriveled success, you've got my $50 just a couple million more buyers to go

Fun or Sporedom?

As for gaming titles, EA is hoping that Mr. Wright’s Spore could be epic enough to mimic the success to the Sims.
But the cerebral play and astrobiology theme could also scare away some players.
SimEarth, Mr. Wright’s former game that most resembles Spore, did not sell as many copies as many of his other Sims games.
Indicating that some of Mr. Wright’s academic ideas could go over the heads of some players, Mr. Wright delivered an astrobiology lesson as his speech. It ended up leaving many audience members looking for more concrete information about the game.

Both Mr. Wright and Mr. Iwata showed only a few new features of their projects, though. And the lack of news left the gamer-enthusiast audience wanting more.

Bored? Bored? imagine you got the sandbox from your childhood and all the action figures tonka trucks and lincoln blocks in the world and an infinite afternoon to play with them, then imagine you and your friend could share it and make something different from eachother with the same toys and sandbox, this is what spore is, an "an imense sandbox and an infinite afternoon."
we're begging for some more info, a video anything!

Offline Xoatl_169

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
  • Beast MODE!
    • View Profile
    • Twi Light
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 07:12:34 pm »
from New Red Herring article:
Risks vs. Rewards

Of course, these risks on innovation have required major investments. Mr. Iwata admitted that the R&D and manufacturing costs for the controller have immense, though he declined to specify an amount.
Mr. Wright’s Spore, which will come out next year, will take a total of five years to build and an estimated $30 million. If either project fails, the companies could lose valuable market share.

big risks deserve big reward so heres to EA's gamble and more hope for an unriveled success, you've got my $50 just a couple million more buyers to go

Fun or Sporedom?

As for gaming titles, EA is hoping that Mr. Wright’s Spore could be epic enough to mimic the success to the Sims.
But the cerebral play and astrobiology theme could also scare away some players.
SimEarth, Mr. Wright’s former game that most resembles Spore, did not sell as many copies as many of his other Sims games.
Indicating that some of Mr. Wright’s academic ideas could go over the heads of some players, Mr. Wright delivered an astrobiology lesson as his speech. It ended up leaving many audience members looking for more concrete information about the game.

Both Mr. Wright and Mr. Iwata showed only a few new features of their projects, though. And the lack of news left the gamer-enthusiast audience wanting more.

Bored? Bored? imagine you got the sandbox from your childhood and all the action figures tonka trucks and lincoln blocks in the world and an infinite afternoon to play with them, then imagine you and your friend could share it and make something different from eachother with the same toys and sandbox, this is what spore is, an "an imense sandbox and an infinite afternoon."
we're begging for some more info, a video anything!

come down u made me reconsider what i was regreating becuase think about if they took a big risk like that then they should atleast get attention and ppl kno about e3 more then gdc (like me i didnt kno what gdc was until spore news came out). so to get as many ppl to buy spore they have to put some sorta ad whats a good ad a trailer or video or maybe even better a .... DEMO.....
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Dimitri1only

Leave me some comments would you?

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 07:57:51 pm »

from the igniq article
Will Wright didn’t reveal too much new about his upcoming game release, Spore, when he spoke at the Game Developers Conference Thursday, but he did manage to pack in a crowd.

More than 3,000 filled the seats to hear how the creator of SimCity and The Sims came up with his latest gaming idea.

so many people!

Offline SpecialBrownies

• Donkey Kong King
  • They look so special!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 08:05:13 pm »
"It hurts!"

"Kill me now!"

"EHeheheHEHehhEHhehE!"

-I hear you my fellow space marines. But I'll save you from the people grinding Strogg in time for Spore! Have no fear!
"If you put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room with computers, they would code Spore."

-SpecialBrownies

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 08:08:54 pm »
"It hurts!"

"Kill me now!"

"EHeheheHEHehhEHhehE!"

-I hear you my fellow space marines. But I'll save you from the people grinding Strogg in time for Spore! Have no fear!

What the hell are you smoking?

from Cnet:
In the end, it was hard to pinpoint exactly what lessons a game designer was supposed to take away from Wright's talk. But one thing was clear: If it was possible to bottle what a video game industry superstar like Wright does, thousands of designers would line up to buy it.

Offline SpecialBrownies

• Donkey Kong King
  • They look so special!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 08:15:12 pm »
Quake II is what I'm smoking.
"If you put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room with computers, they would code Spore."

-SpecialBrownies

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 08:30:41 pm »
Quake II is what I'm smoking.

we'll mmmmaaaannnn
let me tell you about this thing we got just in which i promise you will get you higher that you've ever been:

It's a vomplex conceptualization with overtones of extreme user control combined with the maximum in freform storyline and you get Spore, and I promise you You're gonna kiss the sun and taste the all the colors of the rainbow...

"MDMA utilizes Serotonin. Opiates, like heroin, utilize dopamine. Sort of like the same sensation you get after sex. Amphetamines increase adrenaline. And cocaine gets those synapses in the brains firing really fast. Spore's effect is 'right times stronger than cocaine, 'right times more hallucinogenic than acid, and 'right times more explosive than ecstasy. It's like getting a personal visit... from the Will! "
now that's what i'm smoking