Poll

What is best in life?

The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair.
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Author Topic: Dawn of Worlds II OOC  (Read 20879 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Dawn of Worlds II OOC
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2012, 05:35:35 pm »
So uh... someone else effing reserve a spot and go. :P

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2012, 05:39:38 pm »
I would reserve a spot, but I won't be home until after 1:30 am. So I'll  do that when I get home.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2012, 05:48:46 pm »
Fair enough.

Sorry if I'm antsy. I've spent most of my day off working on my stuff for this game. Most of it will probably never even get seen by you guys but it's my favorite part. Plus I feel better to have a complete historical reference for my race, even if they don't make it to the end. You don't think I'm going overboard, do you?

Glean what you can from my notes! :D

(This is why I take RPs so seriously. I've got a small booklet for almost every one I've played.)

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2012, 06:12:01 pm »
Pat, you are an inspiration to us all.

I'll get a post up tomorrow morning.  Got a **** ton of work to do tonight.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2012, 12:59:02 am »
Just so you know, the names [The Reawakened] and [Renascence] are placeholders until I can utilize Wizards translator to translate them into Geldryn. I can update the map to reflect that too.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 01:02:01 am by Oviraptor »

Online Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2012, 09:59:38 am »
I did a thing.

Planthin

Planthin are a race native to Kendara, specifically the Dreamwoods region.

Physiology

All Planthin are hermaphrodites and are capable of both cross-pollination and self-pollination, much like flowers. Planthin go through a cycle lasting a year; during the dry season, they flower, sprouting long anthers and stigma from their head, resembling a woman’s hair. During this time they are considerably more active, gathering food and generally spreading pollen about. Planthin “women” are comparatively slimmer and better suited for climbing.

At the beginning of the wet season, the Planthin shed their feminine features and take on a more stocky, masculine appearance. During this period their “muscle” mass grows and small seed swellings grow all over their body. They spend most of these months in a calm state, staying nourished, building, educating. Towards the end of this period they become urged to wander off as far away from other Planthin as possible. They become homicidal (only towards other Plant-people) and this is the time when they set 90% of their forest traps – pitfalls, poison darts, anything that will prevent other Planthin from dispersing their seeds.

Finally, for 2 months a year, Planthin enter their “fugue state.” A destructive time during which they become intensely protective of their seeds as they germinate. This phase also serves to thin the adult population to minimize competition for the next generation. Any surviving Planthin will re-enter their feminine phase in order to care for their young and re-assemble into villages.

Young Planthin will typically stay “on the tree” for 2 years, during which time they develop like a human fetus. They separate from the tree fully capable of movement, feeding, even communication.

Regardless of their phase, Planthin are green humanoids about 4 feet tall, eyes set into dark recesses behind a “mask” of bark which covers their face, and forms spiny ridges along their back and arms.

Planthin have no biological life span, but usually Planthin grow too weak to survive the next dry season at about 20 years. The oldest living Planthin is 350.

Culture

As you can imagine, Planthin culture is quite independent. All Planthin are expected to be well suited for self-sustenance, and are usually well trained in trap-making and combat at a young age.

Despite their period of murderous fury, Planthin typically live quite socially for about 9 months of the year. They congregate in towns which can be very easily disassembled so you can take all your belongings with you when you leave. At the beginning of the dry season, towns are essentially just built where Planthin meet, and rarely in the same place every year. In fact, the ancient city of Iniir Islil is made up of the only permanent Planthin structures.

Planthin are noted for their unusually matter-of-fact approach to death. They would probably consider one of their (usually many) infants dying as tragic as if your power went out. The Planthin religion explains life as the sum of all nutrients within you. Each individual Planthin is just a pocket of consciousness, and the nutrients in their body will eventually make up some other Planthin.

“[Solemn] Ii risa tom wi; Ii inira tom wo” -- Life is a river and you are a raindrop -- Spiritual Planth Saying
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 01:10:13 pm by Tesla »
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2012, 11:06:47 am »
Glean what you can from my notes! :D
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiqkclCJsZs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiqkclCJsZs</a>

But seriously, that's crazy. Crazy awesome, bro.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2012, 11:16:41 am »
Glad to see someone is doing something neat with my Geldryn.  Interested to see where you take them Ovi.  Let me know if you have any questions regarding their physiology.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of Worlds II: The Restoration of Kendara
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2012, 07:52:39 pm »
I'll have no idea what I'm doing, but I'll give this a try.
I lied.  But you guys have fun!

I lied again!  Count me in!
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2012, 08:24:56 pm »
I posted a link to the map picture cause it won't show up in the thread, for some reason.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2012, 07:27:30 am »
Sherub

The Sherub are a race native to Kendara

Physiology
Sherub are humanoid plantfolk with somewhat stout bodies and hardy constitutions. Shorter than many races of Kendara, the males average around 5' 5", with females being closer to 5'. Despite being plantfolk, the Sherub exhibit strong mamallian traits and sexual dimorphism. Males have broad shoulders and are on average more muscular, while females have breasts used in nursing infants, narrow waists and broad hips. This curious deviation from the norm of plantfolk physiology (and indeed the racial norms of other Kendaran humanoids) has been tenuously linked to the Sherub's association with a long dead fertility goddess in their prehistory.
Sherub skin-tone is most often compared to the colours of autumn fruits, ranging from a brown-yellow like the skin of a pear, through to muted red or purple pigmentation in northern regions nearer the equator. Hair is similar in texture to soft straw or hay and ranges from golden through to the colour of autumn leaves. Eye colour follows a similar range to skin colour, but is usually more vivid.
Unlike other plantfolk the sherub gain no sustenance at all from soil or sunlight, though seperation from both for extended periods can have palpable and severe psychological effects.
Sherub have an unusually acute sense of taste, and can intuitively identify chemical compounds in food and soil the way other races can instinctively understand things they have seen or heard.

Life Cycle
Sherub are hatched from seed-eggs birthed in clutches of between one and seven. They are nursed by any fertile females in their immediate family or community for several months until they graduate to solid food. Infants learn to start walking and talking at around 3 years of age and can fend for themselves reasonably well by age 6. Sherub become fertile around 14 years of age, and are naturally inclined toward polygamy for both genders. A fertile Sherub may have as many as five or six long term sexual partners (with more being reproductively unecessary but socially advantageous), and a female can bear children from several different males simultaneously.
Due to their naturally robust physiology the Sherub can stay fertile and active well into their old age, and rarely die of disease or infirmity, instead seeming to have a biologically preset 'kill-timer' which arbitrarily ends their life, usually around one hundred years after they first became reproductively fertile. The link to fertility can be exploited by Sherub who stay celibate to reach extremely venerable ages, but the Sherub drive to reproduce is very strong, and few have the mental fortitude to resist the urge for long. Additionally, some Sherub are occasionally born with a missing or abberant kill-timer which leaves them effectively immortal. Such individuals are usually afforded high status and rise to leadership roles soon after their gift is discovered.

Culture
The Sherub's heritage in the fertile delta country of southeastern Kendara has lent a strongly agrarian bent to their culture, which persists for generations even in emigrants. Dilligence and hard work are highly valued traits in Sherub society, and their sexual politics leads to the formation of sprawling inter-connected family units, meaning wealth is generally redistributed quite freely by nepotistic Sherub of high status helping out their favourite relatives or partners.
Possibly as a result of their highly productive communities and fertile homelands, the Sherub are also keen warriors. An instinctive understanding of tactics and fighting spirit suffuses their arts and recreation; recounting epic warrior sagas, playing tactical chess-like boardgames and participating in ritual combat and weapon-sports forms a good part of their recreational time.

Humanoid (Plantfolk)
    • +2 constitution, -2 dexterity, the Sherub are very hardy, but their agrarian history required little in the way of agility
    • Medium: As Medium creatures, Sherub have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • Sherub base land speed is 30 feet
    • Plantfolk: A Sherub has a metabolism more like that of a plant than an animal. Sherub have a 50% chance to automatically resist diseases which affect non-plantfolk, but are affected by their own diseases as normal. Non-plantfolk have a 50% chance to automatically resist plantfolk diseases.
    • Tactical genius: For a number of rounds per day equal to her Int or Wis bonus (whichever is higher) a Sherub may count as having one of the following feats: Alertness, Blind-fight, Combat Casting, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved initiative, Point Blank Shot, Power Attack, Rapid Reload, Weapon Finesse. Even if they do not meet the prerequisites. Activating this ability is a swift action which must be taken at the start of the players turn before she does anything else. The rounds do not need to be taken consecutively, and the feat replicated can be changed to a different one by spending a swift action at the beginning of a turn before any other actions are taken. The feats temporarily gained by using this ability can never be used as prerequisites for acquiring other feats, qualifying for prestige classes etc.
    • Squad leader: A Sherub who is concious and aware of her surroundings grants herself and up to 10 allies who she can see and who can see her a +1 insight bonus to initiative rolls. This bonus stacks with Improved Initiative.
    • +4 racial bonus to Profession: Agriculture checks.
    • Earth intuition: With a successful DC 12 Know: Geography check a Sherub can intuit her approximate geographical location by the qualities of the soil or ground alone. Greater successes allow a Sherub to pinpoint their location with greater precision.
    • Enhanced Taste: A Sherub has an acute sense of taste and can guage the suitability of soil for agriculture simply by tasting it. Additonally, they may take a 10 on any check to identify a subtance if taste is a factor (examples include using craft: alchemy or know: nature to identify a poison)
    • Automatic Languages: Kendara Common, Sherub and Fanth. Bonus Languages: Geldryn, Planthin, Nalori, Comiri, Saulemic and other appropriate local langauges
    • Favored Class: Fighter. A multiclass Sherub’s Fighter class does not count when determining whether they take an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 09:01:13 am by Krakow Sam »
    Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
    • Stern dissaproval
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: February 12, 2012, 10:09:18 am »
    Tesla move yo butt.
    Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • M I RITE? STICKERS?
      • View Profile
      • DuckDuckGo
    « Reply #42 on: February 12, 2012, 04:24:51 pm »
    This is the part where everyone finally posted just in time to see Sam's name fall off the active user list after being online all day.

Guess we'll continue this tomorrow. :P

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: February 12, 2012, 04:30:42 pm »
    Well I suppose it gives tesla time to fix the map to contain previous edits. >.>
    DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
    -----------
    Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • M I RITE? STICKERS?
      • View Profile
      • DuckDuckGo
    « Reply #44 on: February 12, 2012, 04:51:00 pm »
    Good point.

**EDIT**
    And it has been addressed.
    « Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 05:49:14 pm by PatMan33 »