Author Topic: Spore Mods  (Read 10046 times)

Offline helio-G

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
Spore Mods
« on: March 28, 2007, 07:10:36 pm »
Anyone here planning on modding Spore?

Well i know they give you editors for everything, but I'm talking about making stuff that might not be possible in the game. For example lets say they restrict you from creating a planet the size of earth. That's were modding comes in. How about the ability of drawing out and naming your constellations? I see a lot of opportunity for Spore's Engine, specially in the FPS genre. Imagine if you will a mod that features first person shooter action on a galactic scale with real sized planets and star systems and the ability to drive around every car you can ever build with different kinds of handling.
Well for one i am going to mod the heck out of this game after I'm done playing it, which will probably be in 12 to 17 months.
Anyone else planning on making mods for this game?

Offline Netherflare

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Peski's > You
    • View Profile
Re: Spore Mods
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 07:13:45 pm »
if this game has everything, no need for modding
I Want Patience, and I Want It NOW!

Peskitoriantais - http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5046.0
Violandro - http://violandro.myminicity.com/

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 07:32:21 pm »
The only mod i can think of is maybe more creature body parts or vehicle parts that were not included in the game.

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 10:00:08 pm »
The only mod i can think of is maybe more creature body parts or vehicle parts that were not included in the game.
That's pretty much the page I'm on.

The thought that someone will figure out procedural clothes before the design team does, has crossed my mind though.

Offline Thalius

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 10:18:24 pm »
Only problem i see with modding is that it may stop you from being able to upload/download content from the metathingymabob

Offline jov

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 10:19:04 pm »
i like the idea of shuffling stars to make constellations for your planet's sky. that would be a sweet mod.

however, in response to your initial question: i have no plans of making a mod myself. but i will probably seek some out.

Offline La_farm

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • emo yak
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 11:34:41 pm »
Egh. Modding makes my head hurt... I'll leave it up to the Joes and Janes that can turn their computer on without using the Owner's Manual.
If there was a better way to go then it would find me
I can't help it, the road just rolls out behind me
Be kind to me, or treat me mean
I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine
-F.A.

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 05:16:58 am »
It would be cool with mods that give you way more body parts, though how will it deal with the sharing ?
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline Com

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Wandering the wastes with a jackhammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 08:10:06 am »
It would be cool with mods that give you way more body parts, though how will it deal with the sharing ?

exactly the whole Massively Singleplayer Game paradigm that they are using makes me question how deep we will allowed to mod. I am going to assume that we could mod spore at least as much as WoW, which is basically limited to a few interface tweaks. But not nearly as much as a "normal" game, with new levels, characters, etc. Some happy medium, inbetween, is where Will will place us.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 11:37:08 am »
My guess will be that modding will be allowed, but not supported on the server. Want to make your own skin textures, fine. Upload them to a 'simtroplis' type server. If other people have downloaded the mods, they can also pull content off the 'simtroplis' type server to put in their LOCAL databases. I would guess that 'unasigned' content from the CD/DVD will be checked off as 'assigned' once used. I could not see why external additional content could not be added, even if modded.

-Lego

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 08:25:49 pm »
Don't worry, the computer won't use content that don't fit certain paramaters.  If you ceate an uber creater, then it might not be used, because the game moderates the level of difficulty...
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 04:06:08 am »
i just want a creature size mod, i want to make creatures that can crush buildings, but you can only have one and you can unleashe it from your U.F.O then pick it back up again.
Never mind your own business.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 04:19:36 pm »
My guess is that modding will be extremely to the nth power difficult. Not only do you have mesh a new part, you have to add in code to tell the engine where the vertices can be stretched. Not only can you texture it, you have to tell the engine how to shade it. Not only do you have to animate it, you have to add in code that will procdurally animate it. My guess is that few, if any, will mod spore because of the difficulty. This alone, however, may encourage people to try. I think that we will not see any mainstream modding unless Maxis or a demigod release a relatively easy modding tool.

Offline LipeCau

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 05:26:38 pm »
Isn't there a screenshot with a first person view?

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 05:27:52 pm »
My guess is there will be little to no effort made to mod in parts. Many games that have contained the possibility of adding parts or similar stuff, galciv2 for instance, have little if any mods made that add stuff like that. People seem to prefer adding original whole creations, like a new model to select from in the ship creation tool that contains a pre-made enterprise (yes I'm aware you can build it anyway) or other such things. Now because in spore you can build so much it leaves very little room to mod. Parts, new planet dynamics, etc.

Anyway I'm guessing that very little finished mods will actually come out for Spore because A) The mods possible don't really appeal to people B) The difficulty involved in modding.

Then again, I could be wrong and they could design the game to be easy to mod but I'm betting they won't put much effort in that, because then what will they include in expansion packs if they don't add more parts? Lets be serious here people, the expansion packs might end up being likes The Sims and contain only 1 game mechanics change per game.