Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
NHL 07
« on: September 20, 2006, 10:57:55 pm »
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/nhl07/index.html?q=nhl%2007

So...how is it?

I love hockey, and I have been dying to pick this one up for the 360. I've played the shootout demo, and it is just amazing. I really can't wait to pick it up! If anyone here has the game, please share your thoughts on it.

I'll be sure to let everyone know how it is when I get the game. :)

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
Re: NHL 07
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 12:21:50 pm »
The guy from CAD talked about the two hockey games:

Quote from:
So 2K7 gives us a whole period to play through. It gives you a pretty good feel for the game mechanics. NHL 07 only gives a shootout mode. Now, I can understand why, they want to show off their Skill Stick (which I must admit, is a genius step forward for the genre). But it doesn't let me see how the rest of the game plays. Defense, offense, checking, etc.

Now, 2K7, from what I've heard, is the beefier game. It's got better online play, better options, etc. However, it still relies on the same gameplay mechanics hockey games have been using for the past fifteen years, and it still rests its weight on use of the one-shot to score.

NHL 07, however, is lacking in some areas, like online play. But it has the Skill Stick, which completely changes puck handling, shooting and scoring, in a way hockey games desperately needed.

Me? I'm going to throw my chips in behind EA's NHL 07. I'll take quality over quantity, and innovation over safe bets. Let's just hope that when NHL 08 rolls around, the rest of the game catches up to the Skill Stick.

I think I agree with him. I would rather have an update to the controls then online

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 04:11:53 pm »
The guy from CAD talked about the two hockey games:

Quote from:
So 2K7 gives us a whole period to play through. It gives you a pretty good feel for the game mechanics. NHL 07 only gives a shootout mode. Now, I can understand why, they want to show off their Skill Stick (which I must admit, is a genius step forward for the genre). But it doesn't let me see how the rest of the game plays. Defense, offense, checking, etc.

Now, 2K7, from what I've heard, is the beefier game. It's got better online play, better options, etc. However, it still relies on the same gameplay mechanics hockey games have been using for the past fifteen years, and it still rests its weight on use of the one-shot to score.

NHL 07, however, is lacking in some areas, like online play. But it has the Skill Stick, which completely changes puck handling, shooting and scoring, in a way hockey games desperately needed.

Me? I'm going to throw my chips in behind EA's NHL 07. I'll take quality over quantity, and innovation over safe bets. Let's just hope that when NHL 08 rolls around, the rest of the game catches up to the Skill Stick.

I think I agree with him. I would rather have an update to the controls then online

I agree.

From what I've seen, NHL 2K7 has better online, more features, and a better presentation, while NHL 07 doesn't quite pack as much in, but adds the new skill stick mechanic, not to mention some great visuals.

I'm going with NHL 07. While better online and more features would have been nice, using the right analog stick to deke/shoot/spin, etc. is amazing. After playing the demo countless times, I am a believer. Never before in a hockey game have you been able to deke left, deke right, and wind up for a shot and wait for the goalie to get down, only to fake the shot and aim top corner to score.

I got my 360 not too long ago, and this was the first thing I played. After I played this, I thought "yeah, it's worth the $400."

;D

Offline Yankeefan

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 11:56:54 am »
Check out my next podcast (www.poweruser.tv) where I do a video review of NHL 2K7. If you ever want to play online, it's the one to get. BTW, the podcast goes up Monday afternoon.
Yankees rule, Red Sox drool!

www.poweruser.tv     I'm Joel

Get