Author Topic: When will we ever see a fix for the dissapearing creatures bug?  (Read 3626 times)

Offline AhavoRaboTaco

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
It really bothers me.
About 30 creatures are missing, thank god they're in the sporepedia.
I can't fix it with the spore.com FAQ either because the application data is not there.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: When will we ever see a fix for the dissapearing creatures bug?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 05:27:26 pm »
Do you mean the ones that show up as not in 'my creatures' in the CC ingame sporepedia?

I had that same problem as you describe when I upgraded from trial version to full version. I was able to get most of them back anyways and some had already been uploaded.

I tend to have problems with a creature that I did create not showing up in 'my creatures', these are re-downloaded creatures though and this is easily fixable.

Offline AhavoRaboTaco

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 05:28:29 pm »
Yep I tried downloading the ones that don't show up but when I grab the PNG into the editor nothing loads up.

Offline ScotlandTom

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 05:29:43 pm »
Have you tried this solution?

If you feel comfortable messing with your system registry there is another solution to the disappearing creature problem.

1. Start Menu > Run
2. Type in "regedit" (without quotes)
3. Browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Electronic Arts > SPORE Creature Creator
4. Find "ReIndexYesOrNo" and right-click on it, then click on "modify"
5. Type "1" (without quotes) into the "Value data" field
6. Click "OK" and exit the registry

This will force the Creature Creator to re-index your entire local Sporepedia database and should make everything you've created reappear. You may have to sort through everything to ensure that you've gotten what you need and that there are no duplicates (I had some because I had made creatures both with my login and in offline mode,) but everything should reappear, though it may not be in your "My Creations" section anymore.
  "I put my pants on one leg at a time like everyone else... except I'm better at it."  -- Me

Offline AhavoRaboTaco

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 05:30:29 pm »
I'm a mac guy and messing in the PC registry scares me.

Offline AhavoRaboTaco

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 05:32:31 pm »
I mean theres not trouble if I can't get them back  , they're uploaded at the moment.

But when I import everything in my "Creations" folder into the full game and something goes wrong I'll be hitting myself against the wall/

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 05:45:38 pm »
I have a few that none of the available, user made fixes, fix.

A couple I can no long even drag and drop into the game to open them either. It's very odd.

Offline xOmni

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 06:04:55 pm »
Will said they are going to keep it in the game because of the things people are making.

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 06:08:21 pm »
One save per session. That's not one creature, that's one use of the "Save" button. I honestly have not had a single creature disappear since I started doing that. I had such a hard time with the disappearing problem originally, so, form my experience, reverting to a single save per session definitely seems to make things better.

Currently, my "My Creations" is at 109. They are all displayed. If I hit the save button once, I immediately exit and re-enter.

The program will try and trick you. Sometimes you'll save, then go to exit. Randomly, even though you just saved and haven't made any changes, the game will ask you upon exiting, "Do you want to save so and so creature?" You've already saved, so press no. I think when people say they tried the one save thing and it didn't prevent the problem, this is what's getting them. It's so natural to hit, "Yes," but doing that is bumping the number of saves per session from one to two.

One use of the save feature can be kind of annoying, I'll admit. Last night, I had around 17 creatures that I had yet to give descriptions to and upload. After giving one creature a description, I would save, then reboot the CC. Not exactly ideal, but I think it's more annoying to deal with your creations disappearing.

EDIT:
Will said they are going to keep it in the game because of the things people are making.

What? No, not the disappearing creatures bug. God no. o_o He was talking about bugs like invisible limbs, and invisible torsos. Things of that nature. Not a bug like the disappearing creatures bug that does nothing but make the experience decline for everyone involved. o_o
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 06:16:13 pm by Crowster »

Offline DarkDragon

• Double Dragon Dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 06:47:40 am »
I haven't had the disappearing creatures bug since they apparently "fixed" it, have you guys been running the EADM at all? (in case you have the digital version)
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline HarvesteR

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 08:29:33 pm »
have you guys been running the EADM at all?

The doctor told me to stay away from things like that since they're bad for my health  ::)

seriously now, was there a fix?

Offline j99450

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Eagle42 on Sporepedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 11:19:57 am »
I haven't had the problem in a while, so I assume they fixed it and used the EADM to send out the patch.

Offline Ichthyostega

• Rally-X Roadster
  • Behold! The fanhorn from the planet Snaiad.
    • View Profile
    • Ichthyostegland
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 01:38:22 pm »
Where is the patch? Do you have to have EA Download Manager to get it?

I hate this bug so much, and I am already tired of it.
Ichthyostega

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 01:47:56 pm »
Where is the patch? Do you have to have EA Download Manager to get it?

I hate this bug so much, and I am already tired of it.

The EADM seems to patch the game automatically. There is no "patch file". The only solution is to install and use the EADM.

This bug also wasn't completely squashed, as it just happened to me yesterday/today. The CC crashed when it was closing the other day because the entire Spore Site was offline (as were apparently the EADM's Login servers as well). I had made and saved 2 creatures, but they wouldn't share and when the CC crashed the failed to show up on the next running of the CC. Reindexing didn't fix the problem, at least not right away. Removing and re-adding the .PNG files after running the CC did fix it though.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley