Poll

What will you do ?

Auto-pollinate everything, without minding what is coming in (including naughty genitalia creatures)
31 (26.1%)
Auto-pollinate, but filtering the naughty content.
45 (37.8%)
Only selected Sporecast/High rated content.
28 (23.5%)
Not auto-pollinating anything, only manually picking content.
12 (10.1%)
Not even picking manually, just going with what's on the disc (Who would want to do that ?)
3 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Author Topic: The option to auto-pollinate Spore, or chosing not to.  (Read 15057 times)

Offline DoggySpew

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
The option to auto-pollinate Spore, or chosing not to.
« on: March 20, 2008, 10:53:01 am »
Personally, I would have it coming all, without censoring content. Yes, this means alot of crud, but that makes it exciting to find something special.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/DoggySpew

7 Gold, 5 Silver, 4 Bronze on the Olympics.

Offline Shadowgandor

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
Re: The option to auto-pollinate Spore, or chosing not to.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 11:03:51 am »
I personally have the feeling that if a creature got censored, it's prob not interesting anyway, so I would go for the second option.

Offline jarnomiedema

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 11:24:48 am »
I went with the fourth option, because I prefer to have some control over what makes it into my games and what doesn't. I do that with basically every game I have (I'm very picky about what mods I install for instance), so I'll go down the same road with Spore. It might take some of the surprise out perhaps, but I prefer quality over quantity at all costs..

Offline uj

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Let's roll!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 11:33:23 am »
I intend to try a bit of everything.
My predictions for Spore.

1) No water creatures at initial release. I was right about this even when the fanboys were denying it.
2) No composite limbs at initial release. eg. Buttface; attaching a limb to a limb to... Update: Prediction was incorrect. Buttface is in!
3) Spore will outsell the Sims and be the best selling game of all time until something better comes along.

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 11:38:17 am »
I will subscribe for Will Wright's personal content only  :P

Well, maybe for Hydro's too.  :)
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 11:41:48 am »
I don't have faith in the masses to be able to generate anything of quality.  So in the end we will get floods and floods of totally uninspired 2 eyed 1 mouth quadrupeds of one color. 

I'll definitely be subscribing to Sporecasts that have been tagged as being realistic, or just high-quality/rated. 

Offline Serak

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
    • Megaman Regalia
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 01:42:45 pm »
I really don't want to see a 3-year-old's make believe elf knock-off creature running around my galaxy. Highly-rated content only, end of story.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 01:47:58 pm »
But if everyone has high rated creatures only, how will you find good creatures to high rate?
the real saviour of this forum

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 02:04:23 pm »
How exactly can the game decide which is a censorable "creature" and what isnt? Surely they wont have staff looking over every creature to put a 18+ marker on it, and im sure the computer cant tell the difference between a penis and a true creature. Either way im going to let everything come at me.
Your Friendly Canadian Fighter :)
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 02:06:30 pm »
They could put an unnaccessable penis creature in and the game checks how similar it is- but judging by what happened to Oblivion, they probably won't.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Bona Fide Supraman

• Star Raider
  • Not Super, Supra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 02:07:41 pm »
But if everyone has high rated creatures only, how will you find good creatures to high rate?

Good point
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Offline KanataJames

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 04:24:32 pm »
Let's say I chose to get everything not created by a 14 year old hormone fueled little boy, and then change in the future to only get Star Wars creatures.

Will the walking vaginas on my home planet still be there, or will the game delete them for only sporecasted content? If I don't block X creature specifically I mean, will the game replace whatever is already there, or is it always there unless you say, specifically, no more penises with eyes?

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 05:47:12 pm »
If there is an option to remove content (de-polinate) then I'd likely take the first or second options. Yeah i'm going to get a lot of garbage and knock-offs but I'll also be more likely to see somthing really good and unique land in my world, somthing that hasn't "hit it big" witht he main Spore crowed.

I felt that if I went with downloading just the flavors of the month, my world will start to look like everyone else's with my own creature being th eonly unique looking thing.
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline Orly

• Mystery House Madman
  • Read This Post, its probably annoying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 06:18:21 pm »
i second Pinstar on that.

Offline jd82

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 09:51:33 pm »
How exactly can the game decide which is a censorable "creature" and what isnt? Surely they wont have staff looking over every creature to put a 18+ marker on it, and im sure the computer cant tell the difference between a penis and a true creature. Either way im going to let everything come at me.

Made me laugh, sorry.

I will filter what I let in.  I don't want any of the thousands of idiotic looking creatures in my game.  I saw alot of stupid looking, even though creative, by the Maxis team.  I want realistic aliens.  By that I mean types of creatures that you would think could exist, like sci fi movie creatures/aliens.