Author Topic: Nuclear War  (Read 24443 times)

Offline Myshuno

• Zork Emperor
  • WAHOOOO!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Nuclear War
« Reply #90 on: February 29, 2008, 04:44:13 pm »
They had radiation in simcity so why not spore?

Not to sound like a jackass, but they are different games.  :-\

Yea, i see what your saying and i thought about that. But it is made by the same people and all so its like they do know how to do it and whatnot.

I'm just saying it would be possible
Right on

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #91 on: February 29, 2008, 10:32:25 pm »
nukes have been confirmed, but only as a ufo weapon, not missiles like that.

it better be a nuke though. i still want to be able to use nukes like that.

I want to say that it isn't a nuke that you use because of one simple fact: I don't think there will be radiation after using anything of the weapons in Spore. So to call it a nuke for its size is fine, but I doubt it will have its attributes.

well after killing off a city with nukes you would get nothing out of it cause of the radiation, so it would be harder for a military culture to take over worlds when they are destroying and disabiling what the other cultures get. It would be unfair advantage if later in the game the economy and religious cultures are easier to play. If that is so then, I wouldn't even bother getting nukes for the sake that the computer won't be able to use them on me.
I too hope they balance all three approaches. If they don't, it's gonna be well, unbalanced. :-\

Though I think you can make a nuke. One or two nukes can stop a war, or at least help stop it. Just like Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Maybe we could use shock and awe to instill fear upon a group of united civ's. ie: civ1 is nuked. civ3 and civ8 surrenders to your side because of self-preservation.

Offline Tonjevic

• Scramble Skipper
  • Victori Jane Surn
    • View Profile
    • It's my muck-around space.
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2008, 03:39:54 pm »
Trust me: you won't get nukes until space phase, at which point all the civ crap will belong to you.

I think Maxis has it in their interest for there to be a game in the Civ phase that isn't 'Haha, you die from ".

Then again, I'm being completely presumptuous.

-Understated elegance.

Offline Sporbie

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2008, 09:40:05 am »
nukes have been confirmed, but only as a ufo weapon, not missiles like that.

it better be a nuke though. i still want to be able to use nukes like that.

I want to say that it isn't a nuke that you use because of one simple fact: I don't think there will be radiation after using anything of the weapons in Spore. So to call it a nuke for its size is fine, but I doubt it will have its attributes.

well after killing off a city with nukes you would get nothing out of it cause of the radiation, so it would be harder for a military culture to take over worlds when they are destroying and disabiling what the other cultures get. It would be unfair advantage if later in the game the economy and religious cultures are easier to play. If that is so then, I wouldn't even bother getting nukes for the sake that the computer won't be able to use them on me.
I too hope they balance all three approaches. If they don't, it's gonna be well, unbalanced. :-\

Though I think you can make a nuke. One or two nukes can stop a war, or at least help stop it. Just like Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Maybe we could use shock and awe to instill fear upon a group of united civ's. ie: civ1 is nuked. civ3 and civ8 surrenders to your side because of self-preservation.

Yes that would be interesting, but at the easy difficulty they should make so that the computer AI can't use nukes before you do or at least make them get nukes in a notable timespan so your civ doesn't get butthurt without getting to do anything.

Offline Serak

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
    • Megaman Regalia
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2008, 05:54:18 pm »
Someone should ask this in an interview. >.>

Quick! Petition game sites to ask about Nukes in their next Spore interview! The fate of millions of civilizations are at stake!

That was a joke by the way.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2008, 01:42:26 am »
I wanna start a war.

Yeah I wanna start a war.

I wanna start a nuclear war!

At the gay bar, gay bar, THE GAY BAR!

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2008, 09:22:20 am »
"War, Nobby. Huh! What is it good for?" he said.
"Dunno, Sarge. Freeing slaves, maybe?"
"Absol-- well, okay."
"Defending yourself against a totalitarian aggressor?"
"All right, I'll grant you that but--"
"Saving civilisation from a horde of--"
"It doesn't do any good in the long run is what I'm saying, Nobby, if you'd listen for five seconds together," said Fred Colon sharply.
"Yeah, but in the long run, what does, Sarge?"
-Terry Pratchett's Thud!

Offline Serak

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
    • Megaman Regalia
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2008, 01:22:29 pm »
Because raping a little girl is fairly...graphic. A little mushroom cloud popping up over a simulated city is just that, you don't see anyone getting vaproized or see the aftermath of radiation poisoning. Nuclear War and genocide are REAL THINGS. So why try to keep kids away from it now, just so they can hit the real world and realize just how much it sucks? Why not outlaw it in History class? We learn about it and see GRAPHIC videos of it in the name of education, so why not a HEAVILY watered-down version for the sake of entertainment.

I'll never understand why genocide and Nuclear War bother people. I've seen people die right in front of me and it's never really bothered me. >.>

Offline Classeye

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2008, 07:54:08 pm »
I'll never understand why genocide and Nuclear War bother people. I've seen people die right in front of me and it's never really bothered me. >.>

because some people stick to the morals pretaining to death and killing as a means to gauge their ethics, and by definition, ethics will vary from person to person.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 07:55:48 pm by Classeye »

Offline Gungnir

• Wild Gunman Gangster
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2008, 08:08:21 pm »
I'm sure you'll be able to take cities non-militaristicly..maybe.
They're collectible! Sorta...

Offline Classeye

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2008, 08:13:35 pm »
maybe they'll have a nuke limit that would cause armageddon if you over did it.

so you could crush a handful of cities, and then have to spend the rest of the time slogging it down with vehicles, the old-fashined way.

Offline Aut

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2008, 08:23:01 pm »

But then I'll do it just to see what armageddon looks like and lose!

Offline Classeye

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2008, 08:35:34 pm »

But then I'll do it just to see what armageddon looks like and lose!

well then, hopefully you'll learn after the first few times.
or enjoy it a few times

Offline Dr. Croccer

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Ceci n'est pas un gueu
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2008, 05:30:29 am »
In a game where you can destroy planets with a glance, nukes don't seem very unethical or unbalancing to me.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2008, 07:06:13 am »
Sometimes, violence is put into media for historical purposes. Somehow, it would be kind of unrealistic if a race invented nuclear technology and some of them didn't use it for military purposes. Unless, of course, if the race was a naturally passive one or if you played your species in a very passive manner. I hope Spore incorporates a very flexible AI. My race has a fire and ice kind of methodology.