Author Topic: Official System Requirements!  (Read 53091 times)

Offline Full_Metal

• Adventure Ace
    • View Profile
    • Vector Hates You All!
Re: Official System Requirements!
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2008, 12:45:48 pm »
Ancient 4-yr old laptop = suckage. (postage of actual stats would be such a disgrace to disown me by the gaming community) No monies for new comp = more suckage. :'(

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2008, 10:45:13 pm »
Nooooooooooo! Do you think my AMD 1.9 GHz dual-core laptop will be ale to handle it? It's only .1 GHz off, and I have everything else, but I'm a wee bit scared over whether Spore will run or not...
I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2008, 11:17:40 pm »
You'll need to take those requirements and times by 10.  Otherwise the game will run slower than crap.

Offline Woulfe

• Wizardry Whiz
  • 40 Years Of Pop-culture
    • View Profile
    • Spore Sillyness Site
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2008, 07:33:09 am »
it's the editors as well, last I looked most 3D editors are these huge programs, not these tiny things
Incorrect.
some quick examples
  • Anim8or <1MB
  • Milkshape 5MB
  • wings3d 7MB
  • Blender 8MB
The reason your "standard" commercial editors(like 3dmax, maya, and softimage) are so large is because they also contain tutorials, documentation, samples, material libraries, and plugins.

Its similar to how visual studio comes on 3 disks... 1,half empty, containing the actual program(along with samples etc) and 2 disks worth of documentation.

And then you have to consider that spore doesn't have 8 or 9 different editors, it has several variations of the same one... and that means the bulk of "them" will be shared.

Ah, okay, so these $1,000+ 3D programs your paying for the documentation more then the program itself, seems like a rip off if you ask me.

::)

Guess that's why I have gMax, it's free.

- W -
* Who can't make jack in gMax, well, at least anything interesting anyway *

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2008, 08:24:44 am »
WOOT! i had been a afraid that i would need better hardware for this game but i guess not! woot
Kings 2:23-24 --- The Holy Bible
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!" 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youth.

Offline google_video_fan

• Revenging Yar
  • The video that started it all...
    • View Profile
    • http://othersite.org
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2008, 09:20:53 am »
Wow, these recs are VERY reasonable!

Looks like they're setting this up for massive consumption...

i'm a fan of the GDC 2005 Spore video on Google Videos...

http://othersite.org <- my site

Offline rifteroftime

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2008, 10:14:40 am »
You'll need to take those requirements and times by 10.  Otherwise the game will run slower than crap.

I doubt it, considering they're targeting the casual PC gamers (mostly The Sims players), who don't have beastly PCs. Also, the fact that most things in the game are procedurally generated really takes the burden off of the system.

Offline 0goober0

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2008, 10:20:16 am »

I doubt it, considering they're targeting the casual PC gamers (mostly The Sims players), who don't have beastly PCs. Also, the fact that most things in the game are procedurally generated really takes the burden off of the system.
my guess is that you will be able to play the game at the lowest requirements pretty well, if not as well as a better system, but I think it'll still be perfectly playable.

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2008, 10:48:41 am »
the fact that most things in the game are procedurally generated really takes the burden off of the system.
*sigh* It can't be repeated enough times:

No, procedurally generated algorithms only make the size of the files smaller, but they won't make it easier to render a scene at all, actually they make it harder, because the procedural files must be generated too, not just opened like in most games.

for example, in The Sims 2, if you click on the bed, the program opens the "laying in the bed animation" file, opens it, and the hardware capacity is used only to make it appear.

In Spore, if you hit the "attack" button, the system must analyze the creature configuration, find a way to move all of it's body parts, create the whole animation process, and during that, making it appear.

Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2008, 10:56:21 am »
Rifteroftime : Please do explain to me how procedural created content takes of the requirements for the system?

This procedural content will make the cpu work to calculate and produce the content from a lot of numbers from a small file.

Because it is procedural content dont mean it wont take processor power.

The mentioned system requirements is what is called SELLERS bull****.

If you do believe those numbers then LOL.

First off 768mb ram for windows vista that is the same as saying the consumer is really stupid if he believes it. Vista does not even run ok with that amount of ram and considering gaming at the same time with that amount of ram.

Sad to tell you guys but jakeCourtney is closer to the truth than you.

Dont multiple the requirements with 10 but 3 times is reasonable!

The difference between the best system and the okay system that can run the game fluently is likely just the screenresolution plus all the graphic settings.

Also if your system is not that strong when many creatures is on screen then you might see hang ups etc.

Maxis has not told anything about how many creatures the engine can handle. Likely it aint so many.
But that will show. Hopefully we can try to crash it with MANY creatures on a planet.

Can we have massive amounts of creatures on a planet that is in creature stage? like if we deny them to get to tribal stage but just mass the creatures?

Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2008, 11:17:34 am »
the fact that most things in the game are procedurally generated really takes the burden off of the system.
*sigh* It can't be repeated enough times:

No, procedurally generated algorithms only make the size of the files smaller, but they won't make it easier to render a scene at all, actually they make it harder, because the procedural files must be generated too, not just opened like in most games.

for example, in The Sims 2, if you click on the bed, the program opens the "laying in the bed animation" file, opens it, and the hardware capacity is used only to make it appear.

In Spore, if you hit the "attack" button, the system must analyze the creature configuration, find a way to move all of it's body parts, create the whole animation process, and during that, making it appear.

WRONG

Well, partially wrong, the game does have to do that but it won't do it everytime you attack something for example, when you get near a planet it will check what creatures live in it, etc and "uncompress" the data at that point so you don't get fps drops everytime you attack, or do something while on that planet. That's mainly why it lags a bit when approaching some planets.

Now, everyone is playing the wild assumptions game here, we have one thread for it and that's enough. For all we know those could be the minimum specs OR the recommended specs, if you don't know jack about programming let me tell you something, it is possible to make an algorithm that does exactly the same as another one but that runs 10x faster (for example). We all know Maxis has some very good programmers and I bet they found a good way to handle these concerns some of you are having now.

If those requirements are the minimum specs then yeah, the recommended specs would be about 1,5-2,5 times that but that's nothing unusual so live with it and relax.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 11:24:42 am by DarkDragon »
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2008, 11:50:38 am »
My other computer has vista and is running with one gig of ram and runs games fine.

You wont need to even double the requirements stated. Don't get carried away.

Offline microgta

• Gorf Goon
  • OH NOES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2008, 01:07:24 pm »
I dont see why you guys still think that the game would have such huge specs. In fact I dont think there is much indication that there would be a need for a high end machine.
"gameplayer.com will fail" says Petike.

Offline 0goober0

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2008, 01:49:25 pm »
well, since these are the requirements for the CC and not the game there are 2 things that could happen with the full game:
a) The more likely option:
the requirements for the full game will be the same as the requirements for the CC (except for the amount of space it takes up)

b) The less likely but still VERY possible option:
the requirements for the full game will be higher than the requirements for the CC.

Outcome of each scenario:
a) everyone would be happy and the CC would run pretty well even on the lowest requirements because the CC will take less to run than the full game, but the actual game might not run great on the lowest requirements

b) People buy the CC without knowing about Spore first, love the CC and want to buy Spore, only to realize it won't work on their computer.  The CC won't run great on the lowest requirements because it's the actual lowest system that it's possible to play on.

scenario a is more likely because they're using the CC as advertising for the full game.  If you see the advertisement and want to buy the game your gonna be pretty annoying if you can't, right?  scenario b is also not unlikely however, because they'll want as many people as can to buy the full CC so that they make a little more money.  If not all of those people can buy the full game, why should EA care?

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2008, 02:07:03 pm »
I've seen games run on computers with specs lower than the min specs, they will just run really bad.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.