Author Topic: Planet Sculpting Fail - Is It True?  (Read 16911 times)

Offline neroli

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
Planet Sculpting Fail - Is It True?
« on: May 20, 2010, 09:19:59 pm »
Hi,

Wow, I love this board, and it will probably take a long time to learn, even with the time I spend in Spore (it needs some improvement on the game design angle imo!).  So, noob - and I found the place through a question that's made me nuts, and then the subject just got changed, right after the horrific news...

I got hooked on planet sculpting - really doing it up, all on T3, after even picking the terraforming plants for the lighting gel effect of the sky color, etc.  And everything just reverts.  Is there a workaround, anything?  Now I just colonize planets I've looked over for halfway decent looks (cause half are just so bad), and space level has lost most of it's interest for me.  Screw the staff of life, got it once, never bothering again - is there any hope for the planetary art tools?  I mean what are they supposed to be for?! 

Also help with learning my way around here is (obviously) welcome.  Mostly I keep making creatures and then don't know what to do with them, civ and space levels the way they're designed are the least interesting. 

Thanks, Leila

Offline helio-G

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Planet Sculpting Fail - Is It True?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 09:27:03 pm »
IMO I Would't bother learning anything about this forum since 90% of the people here left because spore was a massive failure.

Also there is nothing you can do with your creations, at least nothing fun and meaningful.

And yes Planet Sculpting = FAIL
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 09:30:32 pm by helio-G »

gec05

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 10:03:07 pm »
I'm impressed you kept your feelings about Spore in check Helio-G.

And for once, I agree with him. I think you may need to find another diversion other than planet sculpting. There really isn't any demand for any such tools to exist.

If you really want to take it far, get into game design and make your own program that lets you use Spore creations. Or take up drawing and make your own webcomic series.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 10:07:19 pm by Gec »

Offline helio-G

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 10:06:44 pm »
I no longer see a point in emphasizing the obvious.

My Job here is Done.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 05:18:41 am »
There were a number of patches since the launch of Spore, some of which dealt with planet sculpting problems. Even with those installed, there were issues with terrain changes reverting. Something to do with only a certain number of changes being remembered. It isn't impossible to do, but it is damn frustrating. Larger-scale changes seem to be remembered, whereas smaller terrain adjustments get swallowed. At least thats what I recall.

Sorry about the jaded welcome, but this was a forum for those who patiently awaited Spore, and then got burnt out waiting for the patches to fix things up (only to find many of them only glitched the content databases or corrupted galaxies). There are still a few members who wade through here, so feel free to ask your questions, but there will probably be a bunch of passive-aggressive echoing at Spore. Just don't take it personally, because it isn't aimed at you, and all should be fine, heh.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 06:12:47 am »
Uroboros is right.  As far as I can tell, when you leave a sculpted planet, it will rememeber the rough shape of any changes you make, but nothing specific.  This means that you could make a new continent or something, but if you tried to carve a face, you'd be left with a misshapen blob.

Also, just ignore Helio.  He's just a troll who comes out from the woodwork anytime anyone mentions Spore in order to complain some more.  Seriously, pretty much all his posts in the last year and a bit are about how Spore is the worst game ever and he doesn't care anymore.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 07:26:14 am »
IMO I Would't bother learning anything about this forum since 90% of the people here left because spore was a massive failure.

Says the guy who never left the Spore: General section.

Just because the bees left the hive it doesn't mean the honey badgers haven't found different honey.

REVISION: Also, **** off with your "90% of the forum" bull****. That apparent "90%" were people who never left the spore section, people who contributed bugger all to the community and I'm not sad to see them go. You don't like spore, then fine; I don't care. But this forum is a nice community, and anyone who left it just because the game which it was very interested in wasn't that good didn't deserve to be part of it in the first place. Patman is still here. Gec is still here. LadyM is still here. Brandonazz is still here. Inkling is still here. Krakow Sam is still here. The forum is still up. All the people who actually mattered during this forum's heyday are still here. So, once again, **** off back under your bridge, troll.

To wrap it up, an angry smilie: >:(
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 09:55:57 am by Plank of Wood »
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 09:30:50 am »
Uh yeah what he said. Welcome to the Forum. At least I'm not the squid anymore.

Offline neroli

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 02:43:21 pm »
Thanks, guys.  I did enough planet sculpting to see for myself really anyway - maybe someday they'll fix it... 

And did a lot of reading around before even checking this - tons of ideas exactly like what I think, plus all those awesome looking mods, only they have broken links.  It's the right idea - as a major sci-fi fan, Spore should be perfect, and the most important things are, i.e. Maxis makes software, not really games so much.

Funny you should mention game design, it's a very strong interest (got really sick, so more gaming, less work for awhile) - and it's the same kind of thinking that makes me always see right through it, the throw a big net and hit the lowest common denominator marketing influence.  Mainly though, Spore is for creative people and sci-fi maniacs, awesomely, so I just try to get around the lameness in the game design to play the way I want, which I think is what a lot of players do.  Weird for a Battlestar Galactica, etc. fanatic to like the creature level best - must build the cylon raider, gods that thing is beautiful.  Lots of enterprises, that went well for me too.

Are there mods that work?  (also I'm a hopeless tech compleat idiot)     

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 05:13:50 pm »
Somebody get Plank of Wood his third win.

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 05:14:29 pm »
You can always check the modding thread.

I have to admit, I've never played the full Spore, I can only afford the Creature Creator. I still want that game for some reason.

EDIT: Yes, PoW deserves another win.  8)
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline neroli

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 03:28:14 am »
The creator's what made me get it, and is still the best part - I hate the sims guts, its like a miracle I bought from Maxis + more than I'd spent on a game in forever.  Lots of bugs, more reinstalls than anyone could count, no game opening, weeks with tech support, it works in a gimpy way but okay enough now.  And the creator's totally the best part anyway - the game helps with that "what do I do with these" feeling, but not as much as it really should.  I like creating while evolving through creature stage with cheats so you can do as much, it makes the process a lot better and more fun, mostly downhill from there.   

The mod thread already awestruck me - a couple download sites, sporemod.org and another, always down - wonder if it's on my end or not.  Also not allowed to PM (someone kindly welcomed me), hope that's usual, and get no emails from here - don't remember getting stupid gmail, just getting rid of it a lot, but it never really goes...   

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 08:15:27 am »
  Also not allowed to PM (someone kindly welcomed me), hope that's usual,   
Need 5 Posts to PM.  :P
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

gec05

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 08:29:51 am »
No, it's 50.

Nothing like a little forum games can't fix.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 03:50:17 pm »
Agrreed, if you need any help, me and the Doc were recent noobs, feel free to PM us after that 5oth post :)

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 08:48:10 pm »
yea, spore doesn't let you edit planets in any significant way. the game really hates creativity for a game about creativity.
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline neroli

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 02:50:57 pm »
Recent noob sounds so demanding *gratuitous expectation lowering there*  ;D  Gracias - and now to find out more about that mod thread, maybe just didn't look far enuff... 

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 06:09:40 pm »
If I still had Spore installed I could look into making a mod that raises the changes it remembers to about 10,000 (which I dare say is more than enough), but I don't feel like installing it right now, besides Mass Effect 1 and 2 + Dragon Age: Origins Awakening are taking the space I had left for installing games.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 06:58:08 pm »

Just because the bees left the hive it doesn't mean the honey badgers haven't found different honey.

REVISION: Also, **** off with your "90% of the forum" bull****. That apparent "90%" were people who never left the spore section, people who contributed bugger all to the community and I'm not sad to see them go. You don't like spore, then fine; I don't care. But this forum is a nice community, and anyone who left it just because the game which it was very interested in wasn't that good didn't deserve to be part of it in the first place. Patman is still here. Gec is still here. LadyM is still here. Brandonazz is still here. Inkling is still here. Krakow Sam is still here. The forum is still up. All the people who actually mattered during this forum's heyday are still here. So, once again, **** off back under your bridge, troll.

I still check here from time to time. However for me "Pre-Spore" was Nauceans and Sagan 4. Thus still continuing Sagan 4 is still pre-spore to me. I am so glad I made it independent from the game of Spore.

Offline neroli

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 09:58:57 am »
Wow, you make them??!  It seems like everyone does, at sporebase, but I feel too old to even frame questions as basic as mine there + there's no place for that much not tech savvy.  Yeah I find that seriously astonishing and just assume you should be rich, or maybe could if you want. 

There is one for making flora, and I found that if I only get planets I've inspected first, then it holds enough, usually.  Stupid plan though - it's just great that people are thinking along the same lines. 

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 03:35:48 am »
Hi,
Thanks, Leila
Welcome to the boards, you seem rather pleasant... I am Detoxicated, the glowing Shroom... I hope you enjoy your stay here in GS and also I hope that you become a great contributer to the boards...
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 04:19:55 am »

REVISION: *Rage*

I still check here from time to time. However for me "Pre-Spore" was Nauceans and Sagan 4. Thus still continuing Sagan 4 is still pre-spore to me. I am so glad I made it independent from the game of Spore.

It wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at the legions of faceless Sporumers who joined, only ever posted in Spore: General and fled the moment it turned out that Spore wasn't the gaming sandbox orgasm we expected it to be. You actually made contributions to this forum, I remember you far more for the Sim Games than for the Nauceans.

Though you did meet Will Wright, which was kickin' rad.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 08:27:40 am »
Last I checked you got canonized in the fandom dude. What's your profession?

Offline Rct2mad

• Ultima Lord
  • =)
    • View Profile
    • Spore-Galore (Link may not work)
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 06:29:08 am »
Though I have to say, it was obvious or at least highly likely to many people that these forums would fall down (Spore General at least) in terms of popularity and posts when Spore came out. I'm still here from time to time, but far from how much I used to be.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 11:56:44 am »
No offense, but that makes you one of the afformentioned faceless scum. >:(

Offline Rct2mad

• Ultima Lord
  • =)
    • View Profile
    • Spore-Galore (Link may not work)
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 06:38:32 pm »
Oooh,  :D and why would that be?

gec05

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 10:01:10 pm »
Plank may be referring to the people who solely contributed to Spore General before Spore's release, and left afterwards never once making any worthwhile contributions to the rest of the forum.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 11:15:13 pm »
I would have never found this forum if it was not for Steve's Will Wright interview back in 2005. I am sure other people would have not found this forum if it was not for Spore.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 05:28:44 am »
Ditto.  :)

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 05:42:49 am »
Plank may be referring to the people who solely contributed to Spore General before Spore's release, and left afterwards never once making any worthwhile contributions to the rest of the forum.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I'm almost certain most of the forum found this place because of Spore, which is perfectly fine; but it's the fact that they are not bothering to contribute anything to the community outside of this board which pisses me off. Just being in Spore: General and never venturing out apart from the occasional post in Forum Games isn't how you make yourself a worthwile member of the community, neither does leaving when Spore bombed the way it did.

To be fair Rct2, I did see you around the other forums in the "good old days". Which is more than I can say for helio-G.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 05:45:10 am by Plank of Wood »