Author Topic: An interesting project for Spore vets  (Read 11255 times)

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
An interesting project for Spore vets
« on: July 01, 2009, 06:49:40 pm »
So, I've decided that I am going to make a brief documentary film about the hype leading up to the release of Spore. I'm looking for people who would like to help me with this project. I can handle all the editing myself but what I'd really like are recordings (whether video or just audio) from different veterans of the Spore community on their recounting of Spore, from the original 2005 GDC video up to the release of Galactic Adventures. I want to hear the opinions, arguments, the RPs and other forum games. Everything that went on during the excruciatingly long wait, and the almost universally disappointing release of the game itself.

I'm only looking for help from people who have been around from the beginning (not necessarily of this forum). People who's first glimpse at Spore was the 2005 video. Also, if anyone wants to try their hand at making the soundtrack for the film, go ahead and send me some samples of your work. I'd rather not use any copyrighted materials in this.

I'm going to make sure to get the go ahead from Maxis before I get too deep into this, and if any devs read this and would like to help, that would be awesome too.

So, does anyone actually want to do this? Even if you don't, could you try to let some of the older Spore vets know about this project? I know that most of them don't browse this area of Gamingsteve anymore and it would certainly make things easier.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
Re: An interesting project for Spore vets
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 07:34:54 pm »
I might provide something if I get a chance.  Don't know for sure though.  Sound like an interesting idea.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 11:00:45 pm »
What's this for, exactly? Sounds like an odd thing to decide on a whim.

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 12:51:48 am »
Look on my Youtube Channel's older vids. That might help you get old footage 'n stuff
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline GrapeFruit

• Gorf Goon
  • I'm killing my way to truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 02:49:13 am »
I guess I can contribute, though I'm not so sure about the vids. I didn't really keep track of all the videos appearing every now and then.
Quote from: Liquos
I can't wait that long! I'm gonna explode from patience!

Quote from: Parkaboy
"Around the world you may notice that other creatures evolve while others don't"
That's because some of them are christians.

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 01:30:52 pm »
What's this for, exactly? Sounds like an odd thing to decide on a whim.
It's not for anything. I enjoy filmmaking and I decided that I wanted to make my own documentary. I figured I might as well make it on something I know a great deal about.

Look on my Youtube Channel's older vids. That might help you get old footage 'n stuff
The problem is, you can't download stuff from youtube. Even if you could the quality would be horrid. I need at least decent resolution clips.

Thanks to everyone so far who wants to contribute. If you have any ideas for this project feel free to discuss them. Right now I'm just going to focus on getting footage of the Spore conferences and recordings from fans.

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 01:32:39 pm »
I'm not sure how 'qualified' I'd be for this, even having been a member of this community since shortly after the 2005 videos, but I'd like to see the results nonetheless.

I'm hopeful it will be balanced, though, rather than simply lambasting what didn't come off in the end. There's plenty that Spore still delivers on, and for simple-to-use 3D modelling (and now simple scripting and game-making) tools the game is still, IMO, unparalleled within the industry.
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 03:17:32 pm »
You can use my trip to E3 videos if you want. Note I uploaded them to Google Video since YouTube was not as popular at the time. It was just beginning.

Hydro @ E3 2006 - Spore Booth
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=83681024326974749&hl=en

Hydro @ E3 2006 - Spore Public Demo 1
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1181258919822824608

Hydro @ E3 2006 - Spore Public Demo 2
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5242737927902093722&hl=en

I would also be happy to answer any questions if i can reply in text form.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 03:19:16 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 05:46:25 pm »
Does anybody know where I can find a download of the GDC 2005 video? I've searched all over the place but can't find anything. Any other Spore video I can download just about anywhere.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 07:10:25 pm »
Does anybody know where I can find a download of the GDC 2005 video? I've searched all over the place but can't find anything. Any other Spore video I can download just about anywhere.

Here somewhere ...

http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=6730.0

Offline vonboy

• Centipede Crackerjack
  • the tiniest evil thing known to man and willosaurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 06:37:17 pm »
i'm not exactly from the begginning, but i joined the forum in 2006 after a few months of lurking (i think). the 2005 videe was the first one i saw, because i don't think there was any newer videos then.

so i'm up for it if you want a not-quiet-so-old-fart for the documentary.
Quote from: ilikedirt
your spores are wack

Fatal Error: You're creature is crap. You're computer will now explode.

check out my sporepedia page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/vonboy

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 09:42:06 pm »
i'm not exactly from the begginning, but i joined the forum in 2006 after a few months of lurking (i think). the 2005 videe was the first one i saw, because i don't think there was any newer videos then.

so i'm up for it if you want a not-quiet-so-old-fart for the documentary.
Absolutely, thanks.

I'm working on the intro right now. I think you guys are really going to like it.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 09:04:56 am »
Everything that went on during the excruciatingly long wait, and the almost universally disappointing release of the game itself.
I'm not sure what angle your going for here. Are you going to build the hype and then say how bad the game was? Because I view it differently. I came here in 2005 and it wasn't excruciating, a lot of cool things happened and we built a community. When the game came out, I wasn't disappointed at all, I thought it was pretty cool considering we had nothing like it in the past. I'm not sure I'd want to participate if it's going to be a negative thing. I don't share those feelings about EA or Spore.

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 10:28:24 am »
I'm going to try to be as even-handed and have as many different perspectives as possible. The point of this isn't to say if Spore was good or bad. It's not even really about Spore at all, it's about the community the game created and everything that happened up until the game's release. Mostly it's a parable about what hype can do. Considering that most people seemed disappointed with the game, I'd actually really like if you participated, so as to get a different perspective on the whole thing.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 04:19:40 pm »
Thanks for the clarification. I'll think about it. I tend to look at other things that happened as a result of waiting for Spore. The forum, the community, the friends, the opportunities that came up for me. There are many things in my life that never would have happened had it not been for Spore.