Author Topic: Your galactic coordinates - Now with map  (Read 32196 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Re: Your galactic coordinates - Now with map
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 11:08:02 pm »
Nice map!

Offline SporeForSure

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 12:59:44 am »
Now all we need is a web frontend and a database :)

(Anyone feel up to it?)
”It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring” (Dr. Carl Sagan)

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 01:01:40 am »
Ehh.. maybe it's just me.. but... your galaxy rotates... a static chart like this wouldn't be a major help. Maybe I'm missing the point though.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline SporeForSure

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 01:06:43 am »
Ehh.. maybe it's just me.. but... your galaxy rotates... a static chart like this wouldn't be a major help. Maybe I'm missing the point though.

You can always find your coordinates and go from there. Or you could look on the map and determine where you are depending on what arm you are on. There is ONE arm that is unique for the whole galaxy and it is the "unbroken" one that stretches out further than any other before it gets "broken off", you can use that one to quickly see where you are.

On the image above, it is the one that stretches out and comes closest to the 225' number.
”It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring” (Dr. Carl Sagan)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 01:34:16 am »
As far as the wormhole thing, how do you know the positions are not random for each persons game?

Offline SporeForSure

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 02:26:43 am »
As far as the wormhole thing, how do you know the positions are not random for each persons game?

Well, right now we cannot because noone is comparing notes. Once that happens, we can see if it is or not.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 02:56:25 am »
Awesome! Thanks for the map. :)

Offline GrapeFruit

• Gorf Goon
  • I'm killing my way to truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 04:17:35 am »
But the rotating does not change the assigned coordinate system. Why? Well the coordinates of your homestar are always the same....

Easy to find out. Go find any black hole you like and note down the coordinates of the hole you start and the hole you arrive. Also the names of the holes would be useful.
Then someone else checks that specific hole in their games and if the wormhole leads to the same destination it's save to assume the wormhole net are the same in every game (which I strongly believe).

btw: Be careful after wormhole jumps, the coordinates do not update (it still shows the coordinates you started from), glitch! To refresh them, jump to a nearby star and back to the hole again.

Quote from: Liquos
I can't wait that long! I'm gonna explode from patience!

Quote from: Parkaboy
"Around the world you may notice that other creatures evolve while others don't"
That's because some of them are christians.

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 05:42:03 am »
Here is a video showing exactly how to find Earth.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/263860.html

Offline niwdoog

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2011, 01:29:17 pm »
Hi all! I came across this thread today and I saw a few of you were looking for the co-ordinates of the Sol solar system (contains Earth) so here they are:

225.06 Degrees
7,295.43 pc

I'm currently working on a galactic map, but it's a daunting task. Those Co-ords work for everybody I've shared them with, which leads me to believe that this project is plausible.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2011, 01:39:48 pm »
Ok.
1) Why did you bother necroing this, nobody really follows this game anymore apart from a few people who update a creature list thing once in a blue moon.
2) The galaxies are generated randomly, a map for the game would be pointless.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 02:13:11 am »
2) The galaxies are generated randomly, a map for the game would be pointless.

Actually, the Sol System is in the same place in every galaxy, IIRC.

Though, yeah, this thread is ancient, so I guess I should point niwdoog to the site's rules and guidelines to help be more acquainted with this place.

Link of the rules is below:

http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=10276.0

Take your being acquainted with it if you haven't yet.   :)

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 08:56:22 am »
1) Why did you bother necroing this, nobody really follows this game anymore apart from a few people who update a creature list thing once in a blue moon.
Being an unpopular game is no reason to drop down on someone for discussing it. Being against a necrobump is fine on its own, you don't need to try pad it out with false extras to try add weight to your retort. Besides, the very fact the sub-forum is dead should have really stopped you from needing to make an issue of the necro... at least in such a tone. C'mon man, their first post may have been a little clumsy but it was made with the simple intent of -giving- us something.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 09:21:52 am »
The point was, he would post a map and stuff, and nobody would respond. Would have been a little dissapointing, I'm sure.
But I suppose you're right, I could have been nicer about it.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 05:45:09 pm »
Hi all! I came across this thread today and I saw a few of you were looking for the co-ordinates of the Sol solar system (contains Earth) so here they are:

225.06 Degrees
7,295.43 pc

I'm currently working on a galactic map, but it's a daunting task. Those Co-ords work for everybody I've shared them with, which leads me to believe that this project is plausible.

Not that I really follow spore/post in the section, but seeing as this is your first post I figure I'll go ahead and welcome you to the board.

Welcome!