Author Topic: From Forum Noob @ Forum Veterans  (Read 25853 times)

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
Re: From Forum Noob @ Forum Veterans
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2007, 02:39:39 pm »
Pik, your not a noob, you spend more time in the creation corner than general, so that prevents noobishness.
the real saviour of this forum

gec05

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2007, 02:41:49 pm »
Have you seen his posts outside of the creation corner? Or at least outside of his creations?

Offline scorpia11

• Battlezone Captain
  • Who else but Quagmire!!??
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2007, 02:45:45 pm »
I dont think i am a noob, or a veteran. Im like in limbo between the two. I post here, but not that often for the reasons that Mr. Consideration pointed out. I spend a lot of time now in Spore Roleplaying, Everything else, Pc games and moves section. I go into Creature Corner a lot due to my creature (obviously), so i dont class myself as a Noob.

:)

I am...the Limbo-man!

PS. I came here just for spore, but now...i've grown up to se the whole board!

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2007, 02:54:15 pm »
I got out all my noobishness two years ago on a (now gone) modding board for JP: Operation Genesis. Oh... they hated me there. So I changed my name and signed up at Star Wars.com, never to return. ;)

EDIT: And that is how you properly handle a newbie.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 03:08:42 pm by Darth Grievi »

gec05

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2007, 03:13:07 pm »
I was going to say. Yeah, good job there guys. ;)

Offline Markonite2

• Mystery House Madman
  • Got Souls?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2007, 03:15:05 pm »
Lol! OMG! HAhaha! I just got on!

The funny thing is if you would have "search functioned" you would have realized that this kind of post has been done/made/attempted before! Lol! This really is spam now. Can someone lock his account?

EDIT:

Nvm.... I just was so excited at a change to flash fire someone that I only read the first few posts...
Just try to not make anymore topics for a while...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 03:27:23 pm by Markonite2 »
'Streets of Spore': where you drive around in a low-poly world doing missions that don't relate to the game whatsoever...

The sig is like a fig. But really, who will triumph?
The almighty Ham, or the magical Spam, which lives in a can. - Anthony Reubon

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2007, 03:49:40 pm »
Congratulations, Thanatoz. You decided to rail against "the man", decrying the forum and posting a thread because you don't like having to abide by convention. Unfortunately, like all teenage rebels, what you ironically didn't realise (because you didn't bother to check) is that this has been done before.

Either you were trying to stir up the hornets (at which you failed, because we've seen this before) or you were trying to rebel against the system (for which we don't respect you). Either way, nice work. ::)

Telling us to "buckle up" doesn't help. Telling us you know that you're being obnoxious and then telling us to deal with it doesn't help. Telling us that you don't want to do something doesn't make you any less rude and doesn't mean that we should change just to accommodate further rudeness.

I have a suggestion: don't post here again until you've grown up a little.

In before this gets merged with one of the previous threads.

gec05

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2007, 04:03:28 pm »
And I don't think "the man" has oppressed any of the noobs here. That's an personal issue that should be dealt with the person who offended you Thanatoz. The veterans as a whole are innocent of such accusations, it is you who has started it.

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2007, 04:12:20 pm »
I'm tired if the split between noob and vet! We need a new caste! I suggest "Middlings" or "Not quite a noob, but not a vet yet."

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
  • Raised from the dead!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2007, 04:25:27 pm »
yes with that i agree.
Bow down fool. HAHAHA!

Offline Thanatoz

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Ninja Kitty Strikes Again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2007, 04:28:24 pm »
Congratulations, Thanatoz. You decided to rail against "the man", decrying the forum and posting a thread because you don't like having to abide by convention. Unfortunately, like all teenage rebels, what you ironically didn't realise (because you didn't bother to check) is that this has been done before.

Either you were trying to stir up the hornets (at which you failed, because we've seen this before) or you were trying to rebel against the system (for which we don't respect you). Either way, nice work. ::)

Telling us to "buckle up" doesn't help. Telling us you know that you're being obnoxious and then telling us to deal with it doesn't help. Telling us that you don't want to do something doesn't make you any less rude and doesn't mean that we should change just to accommodate further rudeness.

I have a suggestion: don't post here again until you've grown up a little.

In before this gets merged with one of the previous threads.

There's no "the man" or "the system" here as far as I can see -- just a regular group of diverse individuals, a few of who decided to roll their eyes at gasp yet another noob offending the sanctity of the holy SPORE forum by posting a noobish question(s).

So... I'm sorry, is this a public forum for the free exchange of information regarding a game we're all interested in playing some day or a private lounge for the "LOL Noob, I Heard About SPORE Way Before You Did" gentlemen's club?  ::)

(Starting to be really glad SPORE isn't an MMO)

Anyway... whatev.  Sheesh.  ::)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 07:27:10 pm by Thanatoz »

Offline Ittiz

• Wizard of Wor
  • Horned Hopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2007, 04:34:22 pm »
Okay, I'm not looking to start a flame-war here but I'd like to address an issue which is of concern to me and no doubt others.

First of all, I'd like to offer a shout-out to my fellow SPORE-freaks and forum veterans who have gathered here to exchange those tiny morsels of new and/or obscure SPORE-lore that sustain us. 

As we all know, SPORE info has been less plentiful than most of us would like (I cite the absent newsletter, static website etc.) and so it's been spontaneous grassroots efforts like this forum and the wiki that have provided the bulk of what most of us have sought.  If you've contributed in any way with an inside scoop, a helpful answer or some insightful speculation you have my thanks and the thanks of many others as well.

That said, as a forum noob I've found a few of the responses here to be pretty obnoxious.

Here's the thing: Yes, it would be wonderful if noobs like me didn't plunge in and start multiple threads about topics that have been asked before a zillion times.  Yes, it would be great if noobs like me actually read the forum posting rules and even gasp used the Search function to look up answers to questions that have already been asked.  It would be common courtesy to do so, wouldn't it?

But it's not going to happen.  Noobs like me (and like you, when you first joined this forum) are generally too excited and impatient and we want to plunge into the community and get answers now.  I agree that at best this kind of noobish behaviour is tiresome, at worst it's really obnoxious.  But it's also pretty human and I'm willing to bet we've all done it to one degree or another at some point.  Also, let's face it: most forum search functions -- including this one -- blow.  If you're looking for specific, up-to-date information, the search function is not your friend.

The point is this: We noobs are not going to stop coming.  Over the next eight months or so the trickle is going to become a flood.  The same questions over and over again are not going to stop.  If that annoys you no end, you'd best buckle up.

So if noobs like me exasperate you to the point where you feel it's necessary to post something along the lines of "Can we please not make a zillion threads about questions that have already been answered?" probably the best thing to do is to simply not respond at all.  Either someone with more patience than you is likely to post something of substance, or hopefully the deafening silence of zero responses will cause the chastised noob to pipe down and do their own research.

Thus, to the crusty veterans I say please ease up on the noob-hate.  We were all noobs once, and there's a lot more of us to come -- you guys just got on the bandwagon a little earlier than most of us.

Anyway... flame on if you wish: honestly, in the greater scheme of things it's not like there's much else to do here.

You wouldn't happen to be the Thanatos from Endless Ages would you?

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2007, 04:36:55 pm »
I dont think i am a noob, or a veteran. Im like in limbo between the two. I post here, but not that often for the reasons that Mr. Consideration pointed out. I spend a lot of time now in Spore Roleplaying, Everything else, Pc games and moves section. I go into Creature Corner a lot due to my creature (obviously), so i dont class myself as a Noob.

:)

I am...the Limbo-man!

PS. I came here just for spore, but now...i've grown up to se the whole board!

Your still a noob. I think it's another 800 or so posts before you grow out. I just got out myself..... :(
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Thanatoz

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Ninja Kitty Strikes Again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2007, 04:40:59 pm »
You wouldn't happen to be the Thanatos from Endless Ages would you?

Nope.  But "Thanatos" and all it's various derivations are pretty common gamer handles.  There's a lot of us.

Offline Evildude

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2007, 04:57:13 pm »
So...just 'cause you can't be bothered to use the search button, we should post the same thing over and over again in every topic that gets posted?

K. Will do.
I need a sig because the lack of one annoys me.
Life, the Universe, and Everything
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Evildude