Author Topic: Creature Editor, Textures and More  (Read 79121 times)

Offline Penguin

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
Re: Blob Editor, Textures and More
« Reply #270 on: May 15, 2006, 12:00:21 am »
You do realise you're coming off as the **** and he's looking like the good guy?....Way to shoot yourself in the foot, there, little fella!  ;)

I think that was the implied intention, as stated I care not for the perceptions of random strangers on the internet. It's all rather "wooo someone I'll never meet or see ever again or want anything from thinks badly of me, maybe I should slit my wrists over it! :D" Just reacting in the manner he wants to view me as, it's far more fun than repeating myself to someone that seems incapable to accepting someone has a different opinion (even when that opinion is not expressed as concrete with language such as "seems" "current version" "so far" etc) and them telling them they don't understand simple words (different thread), next stage is being illiterate! :D Oh yes being a child is fun.

I dont even know what Counter-Strike is as far as games go the last game I played was the original Sims or something on the original playstation. I wouldn't confuse ego with purposely being an ass though, this is largely a game to me, rainy days are no fun you see can't go out and play with the traffic or fire :'(

TheChaos7 - The Battlefish has the sphere like swelling around its joints, as in look at where the bigger area's are and it's just a sphere connected to a thinner section then a sphere again, it's not the problem solver to the this issue.

slugfly - I think all creatures (except perhaps flying) could potentially be considered amphibious...it doesn't seem there is a lungs/gills differentation thus far, which to some degree makes it seem like it'll be a case of where you play the creature land/sea as to what it is once it reaches tribal. Although being able ot swim rather than walk on the bottom of the sea bed has major advantages.

Honestly, you sound like a little kid that doesn't get out much. You're taking this forum too seriously. You keep going on about how little you care what people on the internet think of you, and yet your actions suggest otherwise. If you don't care what we think, then why do you expend so much effort in trying to convince us that you don't care? Who are you really trying to convince, us or yourself? Someone who truly doesn't care what others think wouldn't even bother talking to them because the only purpose of talking with someone is to share thoughts. Conclusion: you just have way too much time on your hands. Go outside. Now I suppose you'll want to respond and tell me how little you care about what I think. Or maybe not; maybe there's hope for humanity yet... nah.

Right, sorry for the off-topicness, I couldn't resist  ;). As for the creature editor, there's an extremely tiny chance that a developer would take out a feature once it's already been programmed. The only reason that might happen would be if the feature ends up having a lot of bugs and they simply can't afford to spend that much time on fixing it. But since this feature seems to have been working over a year ago, and there's evidence that it's still working now, I'd say it'll definitely be in there. This feature is a core part of their focus on maximizing creativity, so they wouldn't let it go.

Offline Jecrell

• Battlezone Captain
  • Giant Snowy Ape
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 15, 2006, 12:03:16 am »
Meh, from what I can tell the possibilities are pretty extensive. After all, during all the demos Will Wright has pretty much put together a creature in a very short amount of time. Surely if he spent more time on them he could have done more detail...

And Jake why did you change the topic to Blob editor now? At least before it was Creature/Blob editor. If you've gained some faith, at least change it back or put Creature Editor, please. I really don't think constructive criticism ever came from creative insults.

And I don't get all the anti-fanboy comments. This is the genesis area of the Spore community, you can't possibly expect non-fanboyism here. That's like walking into SnootySims and telling all the fanboys to shut up. You'll basically silence the whole forum. I suggest instead of spitting at people start giving them food for thought. Instead of saying "oh this is a piece of ****, it can't do this and this," try saying, "Wouldn't it be badass if we could do this, and this~." It makes you much less suspectable for flaming.

Unless, you guys like flaming.
Then there's no point in further postings. =/

Here's an example of what "not to do" when these threads are out here.
This is a forum for people who share a common interest to talk about it.
We are here as fans of Spore to discuss the game we all like.

If you have criticisms, send them to Will.
Complaining to us has absolutely no point as we cannot do anything about it.
In case you didn't know, we aren't on the dev team.
Nothing you post here could ever have even the slightest effect on the development of Spore.
And frankly we are tired of hearing it.

If you have fanboyism, send it to Will.
Telling us how awesome Spore is and how much you cannot wait for release, has absolutely no point, as we cannot do anything about it.
In case you didn't know, the dev team is browsing fan websites.
Many things you post here, could have an effect on Spore
We need more criticism.

What would have been better to say is, "I think you're wrong, and it has been said that the devs are following this forum very closely and constantly come back here for reference. Constructive criticism really helps them develop the game." But then again, since some people are raised on the internet I suppose they just see any crude oppertunity to prove their satirical wit. The only saddening part of this is that only the poster sees it as wit, everyone else sees it as a personal attack.

This entire thread's atmosphere can be collectively called grim at best... I hope Steve/LadyM/somebody clears out at least half of the horribly pointless flame posts in this thread. =\
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 12:22:31 am by Jecrell »

Offline Vib Rib

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Multiple Horrible People
    • View Profile
    • RagTag
« Reply #272 on: May 15, 2006, 12:38:53 am »
Yes there is evidence of flattening, yes we know this, this is so far from the issue.
To what extent are we capable of manipulating the depth of these characteristics?
Kindly stop assuming I don't understand your intentions. I've acknowledged them several times now.
We've seen the kind of tuning you mention is in the editor. There is proof of this. To what extent and what degree has not yet been disclosed, as I already said.
So once more, from the top: there does appear to be flattening and specialized tweaking. It exists. Beyond that, we'll all have to wait for further information.
I'm ruler of this moon, boy.
So if you move, I shoots.

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #273 on: May 15, 2006, 12:43:05 am »
It'd be interesting if textures were procedurally generated like everything else. I.E. On a desert planet, fur is light, scales are bulbous, etc. While on a forest planet, fur is thicker, scales are flatter, and so on. It means everything is a bit more unique.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline Protoavis

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 15, 2006, 12:53:05 am »
Conclusion: you just have way too much time on your hands.

Ding ding ding! that was the only part you had correct in your assessment. Annoying people is fun, I'm the youngest child in my family (by 8 years), it goes with the territory.

I'd be outside playing with fire if it weren't raining, but rain means I can't train and there's not enough room to play with the pois inside, thus boredom, much much boredom.

Actually that statement is funny for a gamming forum, doesn't everyone on here have too much time if they've got time to sink into following a game in developement? (that's a rhetorical questional)

Vib Rib - dude YOU ASKED I answered, and you're still not happy wtf? Stop asking and I stop talking duh.
"Oh mummy, the bad man said bad things, please mummy...mummy" said the 20+ yr old man.

Offline Vib Rib

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Multiple Horrible People
    • View Profile
    • RagTag
« Reply #275 on: May 15, 2006, 01:38:01 am »
Vib Rib - dude YOU ASKED I answered, and you're still not happy wtf?
That's because when I asked what more you wanted from us in our responses since you were clearly still persistent in your point, your answer was a demand for information that hasn't been released yet.
I'm only saying that we've covered your argument and proved it's possible, which was the original point that was raised. You were still unsatisfied, and requested specifics on the extent of those features. So I'm telling you now as I did before: we've answered your concerns and proved them to be unfounded as far as is possible currently. Beyond that, your further concerns will just have to wait until we see more details.
I'm ruler of this moon, boy.
So if you move, I shoots.

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 15, 2006, 02:14:04 am »
This is like the infamous religion threads, just with fanboyism rather than creationism.  ::)
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul.

werechicken

« Reply #277 on: May 15, 2006, 03:34:25 am »
Please can we at least pretend we're all rational human beings?
I don't like the term fan-boy, but I do think most of us can be called that, however I hardly think that's a bad thing with spore.
Anyway the editor looks great as far as I'm concerned, the texturing looks good, the animation does need a fair bit of work, but they've got almost a year to fix that.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 15, 2006, 04:40:45 am »
what he said ^

And if you guys wanna like insult each other do it via PM, we're trying to discuss a TOPIC here and not trying to flame each other because of what people think/don't think, as werechicken said let's behave as humans and not as battlefishes :P
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 15, 2006, 06:21:45 am »
It'd be interesting if textures were procedurally generated like everything else. I.E. On a desert planet, fur is light, scales are bulbous, etc. While on a forest planet, fur is thicker, scales are flatter, and so on. It means everything is a bit more unique.

While that sounds interesting, I don't think its really needed.  Being that you make your creature look however you want, you can do that yourself.  There might also be a reason behind your choice.  If fur is available, maybe you give your desert planet creature really thick, fluffy fur which helps keep it cool in the day and warm in the night.  I would hate to see arbitrary limitations put on the user when it seems like a relatively simple (and fun) process to give your creation the look you want for whatever reasons you want.  Maybe there should be a randomize button for those people who don't care about the appearance so much though.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Editor, Textures and More
« Reply #280 on: May 15, 2006, 07:05:57 am »
Textures will be easy for them to add, so I hope in the final version that we have a huge selection.

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 15, 2006, 07:26:43 am »
Wow, so much flaming going on here that I didn't even bother reading all 19 pages of it.

We haven't actually seen anyone really push the creature editor to its limits yet, so we don't know what's actually going to be possible. as far as I can see, the creature editor has a LOT of scope. The combinations of different parts, along with the ability to shape and re-shape them to the point of infinity, combined with a little imagination, is going to give us a lot to work with.

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 15, 2006, 07:58:59 am »
This is like the infamous religion threads, just with fanboyism rather than creationism. ::)

You are so true, but even the religion threads are more civilized. Can't you people just stop making a fight out of everything?
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #283 on: May 15, 2006, 07:59:18 am »
this is what happens when you introduce a game that is so awesome, and by its very concept promises so much...  and then don't tell us much about it.

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 15, 2006, 08:06:34 am »
this is what happens when you introduce a game that is so awesome, and by its very concept promises so much... and then don't tell us much about it.

We know enough, some just want more, more and more and start complaining when they think there isn't enough info.
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.