Author Topic: Creature Editor, Textures and More  (Read 79119 times)

Offline google_video_fan

• Revenging Yar
  • The video that started it all...
    • View Profile
    • http://othersite.org
Re: Creature/Blob Editor, Textures and More
« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2006, 10:25:34 pm »
powerful software and fun aren't mutually exclusive

true, but complex software isn't exactly a walk in the park.

//edit
although a fine detail editor wouldn't make a game 2500$ the way he wrights it sounds like he won't be happy until it reaches that amount. Also does anybody really have enough visualization skills in order to create a completely unique creature with the fine detail that would pass in complexity in comparison to a human?
You don't need visualization skills- it right there on the screen. The editor is there. From what i have heard about, the editor just opens up you imagination. I think that a detailed option would really appeal to a large crowd.

I take it you're not familiar with modeling programs, hehe. Anyhow, I think fine-detailing has a chance to be in the game, but it won't be very precise (considering the cohesive maluable nature of the material) and there won't be any more to it than that. You have to remember, this game has performance constraints as well. Sure one creature with one significant graphical change won't make a difference, but when you have 20 running around in your city, it will...

I hate this thread. It's become a feature-request wishlist...

i'm a fan of the GDC 2005 Spore video on Google Videos...

http://othersite.org <- my site

Offline TotalSandwich

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Tersonal Pext?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2006, 10:26:16 pm »
I just thought of this-
one of the reasons that there is not a fine detail editor may be the textures. Many of the textures had a large amount of faux 3d value. If you like put dimples on a human and then put scales on it, the dimples would dissapear. The textures have a lot of fine detail within themselves, and they would probably put those fine details to waste.
The moon is a sickle cell; it will kill you in time.

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 12, 2006, 10:29:58 pm »
I just thought of this-
one of the reasons that there is not a fine detail editor may be the textures. Many of the textures had a large amount of faux 3d value. If you like put dimples on a human and then put scales on it, the dimples would dissapear. The textures have a lot of fine detail within themselves, and they would probably put those fine details to waste.

That might hold some truth, although if they would allow us to paint textures then we wouldn't need 3d detail, we could do it via 2d texture.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 10:34:17 pm by JakeCourtney »

Offline google_video_fan

• Revenging Yar
  • The video that started it all...
    • View Profile
    • http://othersite.org
« Reply #153 on: May 12, 2006, 10:36:17 pm »
The textural is done procedurally. Why? It allows for maximum compression.

I highly doubt we'll see custom painted texture.

i'm a fan of the GDC 2005 Spore video on Google Videos...

http://othersite.org <- my site

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 12, 2006, 10:37:34 pm »
You could still have it done procedurally.  Just make the tool paintable with a pallette of textures.

Offline TotalSandwich

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Tersonal Pext?
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2006, 11:06:36 pm »
The textural is done procedurally. Why? It allows for maximum compression.

I highly doubt we'll see custom painted texture.
I said nothing about procedural or custom painted texture.
The moon is a sickle cell; it will kill you in time.

Offline Sporific

• Battlezone Captain
  • Call me Jake. Jake Bond.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2006, 11:12:13 pm »
Replying to the original post... that is just sad. You can make the blob into NOTHING if you want and just add to it. Will has said so many times how you can sculpt, pull, shorten, fatten, thin out... you can do ANYTHING. We've only seen videos with blobs because they were somewhat rushed. Can you please find something non-pessimistic to say so I can hold on to that one spark in my body that doesn't want to hate you?
LOL SPORE ON MAC.
"The surest sign that there's intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't visited us."
Quote from: lolasan
Procedurally Generate That!

Offline contingency40

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
    • Furious Publishing
« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2006, 11:24:35 pm »
Give in to the hate. I find it's much easier and far more satisfying.

*furiously scribbles more names onto his list*

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2006, 11:38:53 pm »
when your talking about a game here, not real life. . .  in a game. . . what is the difference between a torso and a torso shaped blob? there isnt one, nobody seems to be spending a great deal of time on the shape of the body, but if you wanted you could spend longer shaping it perfectly, problem solved.
Never mind your own business.

Offline Protoavis

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 12, 2006, 11:48:25 pm »
Will has said so many times how you can sculpt, pull, shorten, fatten, thin out... you can do ANYTHING.

I guess we have different opinions on anything. So far I've yet to see a creature with a visble rib structure or suddenly and dramatically decreases in size after the ribs, a ridge randomly along the body, has a chest with pectorials, abdominals, something thats comparably flatter on one side of its body to the other, an indentation or a raise where the spine is, muscle defintion (that isn't the result of enlarging the joint...look at where the muscles of the battlefish are..its just the joints supersized), a snail like shell, etc

We saw some of these things in earlier creature models but these things have been entirely abscent since the new editor has been revealed. Now it all looks like sausages of varying fat to thin ratio's stuck together.

Granted some of these features would be useless with certain textures like scales...but they would be present on the rather plain texture (which that yellow bug thing had before it got scales).

Brutus_ it'd be great if it was that simple, but it's not, the editors and new creatures created thus far haven't displayed the capacity to fine tune the sausage syndrome.
"Oh mummy, the bad man said bad things, please mummy...mummy" said the 20+ yr old man.

Offline Alowan

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Creature/Blob Editor
« Reply #160 on: May 13, 2006, 12:49:11 am »
Battlefish doesn't look like a blob because most of it is made up of giant arms and legs that come pre-defined.

Thats exactly what it is all about.... you shape your blob... and then you add arms, legs etc. which you shape too... anything is actually posseble - since any part can be modded/edited by the player..

The battlefish just has a small body, then modefied arms.... simple... :D

I have every confidence that it won't be as limited as you think - I think you just don't see the possebilities in the editor.
And to all who says "dont troll etc." I think it's better to come whit some critism then just staying away..

Offline DoggySpew

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 13, 2006, 03:07:20 am »
I think the main reason the creatures look like a blob, is because the spine isn't stretched enough. The more vertebrae, the more room and less blobbiness occurs.

Second note, it's a demo. It is not the finished product, and we don't know how much liberty we do have in creating our creatures. Still, well have way much more freedom building creatures with this game then with any other game out on the market.

EDIT:
I'm sure we have more options in the released game since the Battlefish picture has more option in texture then the demo showed.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 03:09:52 am by DoggySpew »

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/DoggySpew

7 Gold, 5 Silver, 4 Bronze on the Olympics.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #162 on: May 13, 2006, 03:41:33 am »
As someone said: The more time you spend on a creature, the less blob-like it will be.

Offline wookieman

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 13, 2006, 04:01:47 am »
heh heh heh.

you want them to put goblins in spore.

you're nuts it would create huge graphical lag.

(BTW for all you non modelers, goblins are details that cover the main body of an object to make it apear less smooth and more 'random')

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 13, 2006, 04:07:56 am »
I gave up on reading all of this stuff on page 9.

Here's my point:
- We all know how Spore works, you take somethin like a nose and you can modify it in length, width, etc so if JakeCourtney wants muscles they could just have a muscle part so that you can add it wherever you want and resize it without affecting the other parts of the arm/leg.
- As for texturing, the texturing part doesn't seem to be finished, they will add more stuff and remember that Will said they would have 3 layers of textures + all those colors + more textures and bump mapping they will eventually add + the ability to paint specific parts like arms, etc (not paintbrush though) will give you more than infinite possibilities.
- Jake, I don't get you when saying that all creatures "will look the same", I seriously believe that you will hardly find a creature that looks like yours completely and even if there are some creatures that do look similar we could always use our imagination and believe they just came from the same ancestor or something :P
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.