Author Topic: Left 4 Dead 2  (Read 158342 times)

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Left 4 Dead 2
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2009, 10:16:48 am »
Procedural locations? No we don't.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2009, 10:34:16 am »
Procedural locations? No we don't.
Okay then, explain to me what you mean by 'procedural locations'?

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2009, 10:41:14 am »
Locations that are generated differently depending on how well you've been doing in the level.

There is a graveyard level in the game that's like a maze, and the better you've been doing in the level, the harder the maze is.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2009, 11:25:31 am »
Well, multiple routes is more of a map thing, they could be made for L4D by anyone really. Changing them depending on how well you're doing? That'll extend the life of a map but it won't really stop the tedium of the game in base. Besides, it might just end up to be like the random weapon placement that was originally listed as a 'feature' in L4D, or the tension mobs/random initial zombie placement. Remember how much was supposed to be AI 'directed' that turned out to be pretty much decided upon entering the map. Sure. L4D2 will be a lot more polished and probably better balanced than L4D is... but it'll just be pretty much the same game in different packaging. Thats all well and good if you're really into L4D but I just lost my interest in it. L4D2 doesn't really look to bring anything new to the table but superficial extras, and despite the base engine tweakings it wouldn't look too far out of place just being an expansion pack rather than a seperate game. I guess we'll see what happens as it keeps on through development.

Offline Magenti

• Zork Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2009, 11:35:44 am »
The first left 4 dead was made out of boredom is my guess and was done so with a small budget. This new l4d has, due to the enormous responce it got a much higher budget and is probably why we dont have a new hl2 episode out yet, they were working on l4d 2.

So i am stoked! A new and improved engine and a frying pan to pash zombie brains with! Woohuu!
I love you Magenti, you are my hero!!
Kenobros confession!
Quote from: Kenobro on October 06, 2009, 01:41:48 PM
I suppose it's funny that you posted after me, because you are also female.  How coincidental.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2009, 12:09:37 pm »
Considering the steamy-ness of this game I'm sure you'll get a discount on L4D2 if you already own L4D.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2009, 12:30:07 pm »
"Mmmmmm Steam"-Homer Simpson.
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2009, 12:35:13 pm »
They can crank out a L4D 2 in less than a year, but they can't get us the HL2 Episodes done even close to schedule?  Don't get me wrong, I like L4D, I just like HL2 more

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2009, 12:50:49 pm »
There's a lot more story to Half Life than to Left 4 Dead though.

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2009, 01:09:21 pm »
Considering the steamy-ness of this game I'm sure you'll get a discount on L4D2 if you already own L4D.

Yeah i've been thinking the Exact same thing.
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2009, 03:44:43 pm »
Im REALLY stoked for this. I absolutely love L4D and im glad the new one is coming out so soon. I have faith that it will be just as good as the first one. Im happy that there also making some sort of a storyline, although I did enjoy kind of making my own story as I went through the first L4D campaigns. Hopefully we can still choose to be the older characters because I did enjoy them, but regardless this should be an awsome game!
Your Friendly Canadian Fighter :)
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline Magenti

• Zork Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2009, 04:40:49 pm »
Im REALLY stoked for this. I absolutely love L4D and im glad the new one is coming out so soon. I have faith that it will be just as good as the first one. Im happy that there also making some sort of a storyline, although I did enjoy kind of making my own story as I went through the first L4D campaigns. Hopefully we can still choose to be the older characters because I did enjoy them, but regardless this should be an awsome game!

Totally my concensus on the matter.
I love you Magenti, you are my hero!!
Kenobros confession!
Quote from: Kenobro on October 06, 2009, 01:41:48 PM
I suppose it's funny that you posted after me, because you are also female.  How coincidental.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2009, 08:09:05 pm »
Well, multiple routes is more of a map thing, they could be made for L4D by anyone really. Changing them depending on how well you're doing? That'll extend the life of a map but it won't really stop the tedium of the game in base. Besides, it might just end up to be like the random weapon placement that was originally listed as a 'feature' in L4D, or the tension mobs/random initial zombie placement. Remember how much was supposed to be AI 'directed' that turned out to be pretty much decided upon entering the map. Sure. L4D2 will be a lot more polished and probably better balanced than L4D is... but it'll just be pretty much the same game in different packaging. Thats all well and good if you're really into L4D but I just lost my interest in it. L4D2 doesn't really look to bring anything new to the table but superficial extras, and despite the base engine tweakings it wouldn't look too far out of place just being an expansion pack rather than a seperate game. I guess we'll see what happens as it keeps on through development.

I personally think the following is totally worth it:

- The original L4D content.
- 25 new maps for campaign, 25 alternatives of those maps for versus and God knows how many Survival maps that originate from those 25. They also will have a new gamemode so that probably needs even more maps.
- New survivors and an actual storyline.
- 3 New Special infected in addition to the old ones. (and some changes on the old ones)
- 4 new melee weapons and 5 new guns in addition to the old ones.
- Props/models, textures, voice lines, etc for all of the above. (remember each campaign needs unique content, that's a lot of content)
- AI Director 2.0 with the ability to control weather to mess with your visibility range, procedural zones that are rarely the same, procedural placement of guns/items.
- A Solution for camping during panic events.
- Finales will be more like an hardcore survival mode from point A to the rescue point.

Sounds like a new game to me.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2009, 08:40:32 pm »
3 new special infected? What else is there besides the Charger?
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2009, 09:27:01 pm »
This is awesome.
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government