Author Topic: Procedural Sounds?  (Read 10710 times)

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
Re: Procedural Sounds?
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2005, 05:49:31 pm »
I think the best way to do this would be to have special "vocal" organs.  For instance, you're a cricket-man and you turn on your TV to see a cricket-man news anchor reporting the news by making chirping noises with his legs.  You could even have photoluminescence to "pict" your communication.  For sound-based communication, the organ type would determine which base-SFX were used, and you could alter the volume, pitch, and other details by changing size and shape.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2005, 07:27:03 pm »
I think the best way to do this would be to have special "vocal" organs. For instance, you're a cricket-man and you turn on your TV to see a cricket-man news anchor reporting the news by making chirping noises with his legs. You could even have photoluminescence to "pict" your communication. For sound-based communication, the organ type would determine which base-SFX were used, and you could alter the volume, pitch, and other details by changing size and shape.

That's a good idea. There's something I don't like about it, though. I just can't put my finger on it...

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Leng

• !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2005, 07:58:09 pm »
Is it that sounds from the same organ type would sound too similar?  Well you could have a couple dozen base sound sets for each organ type, naturally.  But you couldn't, for example, have musical instruments made from bones in your head, and have it sound like human speech. 
I have been told

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2005, 08:31:10 pm »
I don't think that's it. I just realized that it's because I don't want myself to decide what my creature sounds like, for some reason. I want it to be appropriate for my creature, but I don't want to be the one making decisions. That would kind of take the fun out of it for me.

Offline Deep Lee

• Omega Racer
  • Don't quote pictures. Use words to describe them.
    • View Profile
    • DeepLee.com
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2005, 12:09:12 am »
I was thinking it would make sense if they have different REAL Animal sounds (reptile, mammal, bird, etc), that mix together depending on how you build your creature. So if you add Fur, it randomly adds either moose, cat, cow, etc... prerecorded noises. If you add scales it would add a hissing sound or something, feathers=bird sounds, and you would get a pretty unique sound, if they mixed it right, and had A LOT of different creature recordings procedurally being applied to how you make your creature.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2005, 12:33:09 am »
that's a great idea Deeplee, the choices in how you texture your creature make it both sound and look different.

just imagine their voices!
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2005, 08:52:15 am »
What about sub- and supersonic calls? Subsonic you could see the in-game ground shake, supersonic you could watch your dog kill itself.

Offline Wrigley

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2005, 09:51:25 am »
I doubt there only going to use earth-animal sounds, especially unmodified (w/out changed pitch, etc...) ones.  Those come from earth creatures. Aliens shouldn't have to sound like your pet gerbel.

Offline tywintersuk

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2005, 11:13:58 am »
When you build a creature you can either just stick on a generic leg or manipulate it into exactly what you want. I should be the same with voices, procedurally generated by type, size, number of mouths - but with sliders you can manipulate like pitch vowel/constant ratio etc.
I think the music should be recorded with an small amount of choice. Otherwise the game will be too much to program and to play.

p.s I think language should seem to evolve gradually as you go through the stages but be unregognisable  (excuse spelling) except in emotion like simlish.

Offline Deep Lee

• Omega Racer
  • Don't quote pictures. Use words to describe them.
    • View Profile
    • DeepLee.com
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2005, 12:50:59 pm »
Well they have to start with something, I'm all for filtering the sounds and changing pitch and whatnot, a gerbil mixed with a cat slowed down might sound pretty alien... you should be able to alter your voice if you don't like it. Maybe start with something automatically, and have the option to evolve your vocal cords differently or something.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2005, 07:45:50 pm »
Well they have to start with something, I'm all for filtering the sounds and changing pitch and whatnot, a gerbil mixed with a cat slowed down might sound pretty alien... you should be able to alter your voice if you don't like it. Maybe start with something automatically, and have the option to evolve your vocal cords differently or something.

The ability to add your own sounds, brilliant!

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2005, 07:50:36 pm »
what if the uploaded sounds end up being uploaded to that server and downloaded to other games too. possibly incorporated into creatures other people make...
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2005, 07:23:34 am »
If procedural sounds are used in any way you should be able to record your own sounds (provided you have a microphone at home ;D) and then adjust them using basic modulation tools. The game could then take a base set of sounds, a few samples that you make, and incorporate them into your creature. Using the procedural effects, first based on the physiology of the creature (does it have a resonance chamber in its head? Does it telekinetically create the atmospheric vibrations?) then based on the mood or action of the creature at the time eg. growling and sharp is angry et cetera.
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline Leng

• !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2005, 02:14:58 pm »
Christ, we're worried enough about 10-foot penises, now we have to worry about things that go around saying "f*ck, f*ck, f*ck, f*ck, f*ck" all the time.
I have been told

Offline MorgothTheEnemy

• Revenging Yar
  • I will find the ring...and eat it FOR THE EMPEROR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2005, 02:52:28 pm »
omg i dont no why but picturing that i've laughed the hardest i've ever laughed ;D ;D :D :D :D ;D :D ;D ;D ;D :D
Ash Nazg Durbatuluk,
Ash Nazg Gimbatul,
Ash Nazg Thrakatuluk,
Ag Burzum-Ishi Krimpatul!!!

"Then his neighbors looked good, so I gobbled them up too."
                                                                             -762
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm