Author Topic: Procedural Sounds?  (Read 10717 times)

Offline Haddeen Sol

• Adventure Ace
  • The proletariat are undeserving of my presence.
    • View Profile
Re: Procedural Sounds?
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2005, 03:14:13 pm »
Please, grace us with another intelligent comment followed by a string of smilies. My brain has had a pleasure overload from your dazzlingly clever use of the english[sic] language, and now I must chew my nails in agitation and suspense at what you could possibly say next.
Riot grrrrl!

Offline MorgothTheEnemy

• Revenging Yar
  • I will find the ring...and eat it FOR THE EMPEROR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2005, 03:40:02 pm »
That.
Ash Nazg Durbatuluk,
Ash Nazg Gimbatul,
Ash Nazg Thrakatuluk,
Ag Burzum-Ishi Krimpatul!!!

"Then his neighbors looked good, so I gobbled them up too."
                                                                             -762
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm

Offline Deep Lee

• Omega Racer
  • Don't quote pictures. Use words to describe them.
    • View Profile
    • DeepLee.com
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2005, 04:35:38 pm »
I wasn't even thinking of self-made recording... that would be REALLY REALLY cool. "Lemme hear ya say UUHHHH"

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2005, 05:59:20 pm »
Not only was that a double post, it was spam. Even if it was supposed to be a sarcastic response, don't do that again.

Spam in small doses is okay, it's when you do it over and over again that it becomes a problem.

I wasn't even thinking of self-made recording... that would be REALLY REALLY cool. "Lemme hear ya say UUHHHH"

Don't you love it when you inadvertingly come up with something revolutionary?  Good thing I misread your post. ;)

Offline Deep Lee

• Omega Racer
  • Don't quote pictures. Use words to describe them.
    • View Profile
    • DeepLee.com
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2005, 11:44:09 pm »
yes. very good indeed.

no need for hatin' folks, let's keep it debatable.
and the less posting of nonsense the better.
thx for removing the smilefest.

Offline MorgothTheEnemy

• Revenging Yar
  • I will find the ring...and eat it FOR THE EMPEROR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2005, 06:02:14 am »
 :-[ :( :'(
Ash Nazg Durbatuluk,
Ash Nazg Gimbatul,
Ash Nazg Thrakatuluk,
Ag Burzum-Ishi Krimpatul!!!

"Then his neighbors looked good, so I gobbled them up too."
                                                                             -762
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2006, 06:00:32 pm »
well to give my 5cent (eurocent that is :P) on the procedural sound thing: I think it "could" work. I said COULD, cause no oone had created the right algorithm just yet. First you need to know that procedural sound would be analogous to today's soundgenerationchip emulation by software. If you've heard about "virtual synthesisers" like Native instrument's absynth then you know what I mean. Software like Vanguard by refx and PRO53 are pieces of software that generate sound by math and algorythms, not by samples.

What could happen over the next years is that someone si maybe going to come up with a perfect algorythm that generates throat noises , mouth resonances and reflection on the teeth, movement of the face based on the basic sonic generation for the vocal chords.

Nowadays you already have software that tries to emulate electric guitars (also from ReFX) and even they are trying to start generating singing voices, but that really doesn't sound good just yet. It more sound like robotic.

There are already pretty convincing algorythmic models of flutes and saxophones but the problem with generating monstersounds is that it's so diffuse and characteristic at the same time that , with the way they do it today: all monsters would sound like robocop on crack.

I'd rather use a real thunder than one made up with synthesisers. You can make huge humms and "drones" with synthesisers that sound spectacular, but something as characteristic as many complex nature sounds with their typical harmonics and stuff.. it's not so easy to generate in a "procedural" way

So unless they could get over this phase and find a way to really make roars in a mathematical way that sound convincing.. I think it's nicer to suggest using very much sounds, pitch them, timestretch them, use analog feel on them, flanger, EQ, (like someone else presented in this forum) to mix & match sounds and why not use ogg files for that? Make a procedural database of unprocedural sounds if you will... but you'll have to have a big convincing scala of sounds in that database and i'd devide it as follows:

For example, you could get a base set of screetches for creatures with beaks, with holes as a mouth or with dinosaurus like mouths etc... Then when the creature is big, they sound a little bit (not a whole lot) lower ), when they are tiny, the same sounds are timecompressed and pitched a bit higher)..

I've seen some discussion about the walking sounds , therse a problem maybe with how regular the walking will be with monsters with 7 legs or something .. So, why not just have like 30 files of single footsteps per monster's "foot" that will al sound slightly differently and that will be used randomly when the foot hits the ground ? Every foot can sound different with each step according to the variations in each sound file. and the sounds can be collected from a footsteps database that has a range of types of feet you have there

Then you'd also have soundsets for panic, for anger for sleeping , snarls, groans , idle stuff. fin types,  They would all belong but not being limited to one monster soundset but all these sepparate sets (foot, mouth character, panic, fun, idle, work, sleep etc) would be taylored to be " sorti" and grouped into one set for a particular monster when you create it ... based on it's characteristic the software could thus choose from all these branched monster sonic elements.

Kinda like you would pick "this" brick for your house wall, "that" tile for your bathroom, or that pipe for your sink....

Now if you'd have 30 or 40 sets of ogg files it's not so entirely big isnt it ?

You just take a soundset like sound idea's the general (or record it all yourself if you're lucky to have a zoo) and make sets..

The cool thing would be if you could insert customized sounds in a set template too :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 06:06:06 pm by CosmicD »