Author Topic: Procedural Sounds?  (Read 10727 times)

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
Re: Procedural Sounds?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2005, 09:31:31 am »
Procedural sound would be horrible. Like Steve said (I think he said this) people will be complaining that their creatures don't wask the way their supposed to; so what's stopping them from hating Spore because their monster doesn't sound like it's supposed too? Imagine you create a deadly ninja dragon and it meows like a cat. It would upset people. It would be better to have a 2 sets of sounds...For allies and for enemies. This could also help distinguish between allies. For example, once you break the language barrier, you will begin to "understand" your allies.

Actually I think procedural sounds would be dealt with similarly to the procedural skin coloring, so there would be player manipulation of the sounds in a procedural format.

In other woeds you can change your sound until you get it the way you like it.

Offline Dake

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • All your SPORE are belong to us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2005, 01:04:21 am »
Is it even possible to have procedurally generated sounds?
i think so...say they have oh 50 diff sounds...there could be so many ways to randomly switch the pitch and tone of one of those..so say you pick a beak which is a random 5 diff voices..it picks one..then tweaks it based on whatever..your size  etc. making it oh say, baratone...maybe add, a bit of alien echo to it? or robotic static to the voce? lots of ways to randomize sounds im my opinion..i hope that made sense.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2005, 01:18:25 am »
Seeing the game is about customization I think it shouldnt be randomly choosing from a series of sounds but choosing a from a list your self that way you get the sound you want maybe a sample of how the sound will be procedualy altered so u can know what it sound like and you can have the one you like.

Offline Dake

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • All your SPORE are belong to us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2005, 02:29:30 am »
Seeing the game is about customization I think it shouldnt be randomly choosing from a series of sounds but choosing a from a list your self that way you get the sound you want maybe a sample of how the sound will be procedualy altered so u can know what it sound like and you can have the one you like.
i for one am very agreeable with the idea that you can choose a voice and use sliders and such to make you own unique soud.

Offline ZerGoth

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • German fanboy ;D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2005, 06:50:33 am »
Quite... I believe the count was at about 1800 or so.. about 2 to 3 thousand if you include dead/dying languages and localized (ie Jungle Tribes) languages.

Actually, it is near to 6000 all over the world. But still, I think about 50 of them are dying each year, because they aren't spoken anymore.

I'm wondering if creatures in Spore will adopt any kind of language when they near the civilisation stage, or if they will be keeping their noises.

Procedural sound would be horrible.  Like Steve said (I think he said this) people will be complaining that their creatures don't wask the way their supposed to;

That's the thing with procedural programming: your creations probably won't do what you want. They could walk, or or manipulate objects, or fight, in a complete different way then you wanted.

But I guess you will be able to change the sounds of your creature a little bit, by adjusting some settings.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2005, 05:46:49 am »
If i can make my creatures sound like this I'd be happy.....mainly i want a creature with a voice to match, a lion with a ROAR! a wolf with a GROWL!
and a Golgrig with a "soul stealing", "spine gripping", Siren!

« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 07:01:44 am by golgrig »
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2005, 06:25:18 am »
Your link doesn't seem to work... it just says this: "Page not Found The page you have requested might no longer exist or has had its name changed."

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2005, 06:43:51 am »
nasa doesnt like people linking their site apparently ;D

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2005, 06:59:11 am »
Holy cow, that's erie!

Here is a more direct link, (to just the sound): http://www.nasa.gov/123163main_cas-skr1-112203.wav
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 07:07:08 am by Oviraptor »

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2005, 07:00:22 am »
that was what was there originaly, i've changed it again and again  :-[

thanks  ;D, now it works....  originaly coppied the url directly from the Real player properties ??? but it didn't work
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 07:14:48 am by golgrig »

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2005, 07:09:20 am »
No problem, I just copied it dierctly from the address bar.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2005, 09:37:00 am »
So anyway... Procedural sounds might not be exactly like you want it, but it should take into account the size, mouth, and type of your creature (by type I mean carnivorous, omnivorous... Carnivores should have a mean growl, herbivores a more gentle call). I would be sorely dissappointed if my giant carnivorous gorrilla sounded like a robbin. Don't worry, I'm sure Will has thought of everything. If you can edit space/time, I'm sure your creature won't sound incredibly dumb.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Sparr

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2005, 08:45:22 pm »
I almost certain the game will simply have recorded sounds. The music was most likely recorded, so the sounds most likely will too.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2005, 08:53:10 pm »
I almost certain the game will simply have recorded sounds. The music was most likely recorded, so the sounds most likely will too.

I'm not saying that the sounds will be one hundred percent procedural, but it shouldn't be random sounds. The game should take into account all the things I said in my last post in order to determine which recorded noise to choose. As I said before, a little chipmunk won't growl like a lion, and a giant gorrilla won't sound like a tiny bird. That's what I meant by procedural.

EDIT: This is kind of a bad example, but in The Sims, women spoke in a femnine pre-recorded voice, men in a masculine, and children in a childish. You wouldn't hear a man speaking in a childish voice, nor would you hear a woman in a man's voice. The only difference is that Spore will have to figure out who the "men" are and who the "women" are, and play appropriate pre-recorded sounds for them. Sorry if that doesn't make any sense, it does it my head.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 08:24:03 am by B-ROD »

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2005, 08:18:47 pm »
An old game, Ballblazer used algorithmic music and sounds pretty amazing for a game made in 1985. With Spore it could have hundreds of instrument samples that can be trasposed much like Ballblazers and sound a hundread times better.