June 15, 2010

Gaming Steve Episode 72 - 06.15.2010

dead-rising.jpgSure it's been 2+ years since my last podcast! Err ... sorry everyone. But better late than never! And maybe I'll do another one soon! Enjoy the show!

Gaming Steve Episode 72 Program

• E3 2010 Day 1 Recap
    • Who is this Steve person?
    • Why did Microsoft lose my trust?
    • Why was the Sony press conference so boring?
    • Is the Nintendo 3DS as insanely awesome as you think it might be? (answer: no, it's way more awesome!)
    • Will Steve ever do another podcast ever again or will you need to wait another 2+ years?
    • This and many more questions will finally be answered!

Download the show (61 minutes): Gaming Steve Episode 72 (MP3).

Subscribe to the Podcast directly in iTunes (MP3).
Add the Gaming Steve Podcast feed to your RSS aggregator.

Posted by Gaming Steve at 11:30 PM | Comments (26) | Posted to Podcast |  Add this story to del.icio.us  Stumble It!  Submit this story to Digg!
Comments

ANNNND WE'RE BACK!

Posted by PatMan33 at June 16, 2010 11:34 AM

All hail mighty Steve!

Posted by DieH@rd at June 16, 2010 11:41 AM

Oh my lord.

Posted by Gauphastus at June 16, 2010 11:46 AM

The Microsoft and Sony press conferences would have felt new and fresh... if this were 2006. But they've bashed the concept of motion controls and family-friendly titles for so long now that it's difficult to take them seriously. (especially with blatant rip-offs like Kinect Sports and Kinectimals)

Microsoft probably wanted to avoid hiccups like those that occurred during the Zelda demo, but that strategy seems to have backfired on them. Also makes me uncomfortable when they publicly give away free consoles to individuals in the gaming press (versus lending them to the actual media outlet). How can I trust your reviews when you accept hundreds of dollars in gifts from the companies you're covering?

I didn't catch much of Sony's conference feed, but there was nothing that really jumped out at me. Again, just felt like they were playing catch up. Move seems more compelling than Kinect, but I'm not shelling out an extra $200 to play the same sort of games that already exist on the Wii.

Very excited for the 3DS -- not just for the 3D tech, but for a significantly more powerful DS with an insane lineup of titles new and old. Pilotwings? Resident Evil? A new Shin Megami Tensei title? More Professor Layton? Sign me up. I could see myself going portable only next gen, so much more variety than consoles seem to offer. You can only play so many first person shooters...

Posted by Matt at June 16, 2010 12:35 PM

Never thought I would see the day...

Posted by Mangerman at June 16, 2010 12:35 PM

Thanks for the podcast. Excellent coverage and analysis; I feel like I know this year's E3.

Posted by Russell at June 16, 2010 1:43 PM

ummmm....check back occasionally in hope you have come back from pod-tirement. Hopefully this is the start of the new Gaming Steve podcasts (fingers crossed). Maybe set a workable schedule for recording and try to stick by it (I know not easy I am sure). Anyway listened to your old shows from the beginning (in the pacman opening theme days) and glad to have another to listen to. Thanks.

Posted by dated_gamer at June 16, 2010 3:54 PM

Weclome back Steve! Hope this doesn't become a once every 2 years podcast.

Posted by GameManic at June 16, 2010 4:29 PM

Wow, Great to see another podcast. Big welcome back Steve, glad checking this site everyday has finally paid off!

Can't wait to listen to your dulcet tones again!

Posted by Swerv at June 17, 2010 4:48 AM

Woo! Podcasts are back baby!

I think your ranting about the 3DS has tipped me over into being a total nintendo fanboy. Nice work :D

Posted by Krakow Sam at June 17, 2010 11:48 AM

SO happy to hear your calm voice again. It's very refreshing, in all this E3 frenzy.
I hope you will be back soon. Many things have changed since the last 2 years. I would totally appreciate to have your "insider" highlights on all the subjects you teased us with at this end of this podcast !

Posted by Gizmo at June 17, 2010 6:19 PM

Good to hear from you Steve!

Posted by virtua at June 17, 2010 8:12 PM

It's good to hear your voice again; thank you.

Posted by BlueBottle at June 18, 2010 12:21 AM

great that u did another podcast
every couple months for the last 2 yrs I checked to see if there was a new one.

greetings from the netherlands

Posted by Devidas at June 18, 2010 2:52 PM

This podcast was one of my E3 highlights. Hope you keep at it this time =)

Posted by Ranzor at June 18, 2010 8:51 PM

Where are the Day-2 and Day-3 recaps? I hope it's before E3 2014. Nice to hear a Gaming Steve Podcast again. Keep up the great work!

Posted by Shoki at June 19, 2010 11:05 AM

Great podcast Steve. Finally, I have your site bookmarked for years, and check for a update from time to time.

Please continue to do your podcasts... I use to work in the field, and love hearing your angle to everything gaming. Straight up no BS opinion.

Thank you for the time you put into the site/twitter/podcasts.

Posted by gus at June 19, 2010 9:14 PM

Interesting. Gamingsteve is back is the day I'm excited about something as I was back then about Spore. (The 3DS, obviously) Guess Steve and I get hyped up alike :)

Posted by FTH at June 21, 2010 1:12 PM

Finally a new episode of my favorite podcast. Have tried many others but very few have even come close to Gaming Steve's podcasts.

Please start doing podcasts on a regular basis again. Two years between episodes is just way too long.

Posted by Tom at June 22, 2010 7:35 AM

Yay! Gaming Steve is back! Well, for one episode. I really hope you come back on a more permanent basis, but only time will tell.

I think the situation with 3D technology is very interesting. I think 3D is the next step in tech for the entertainment industry, but I don't think the glasses are going to be the part that succeeds. The way Nintendo is doing 3D will be the way it should be done.

The problem is, can this technology be scaled up to televisions? If so, how would you deal with the viewing angle? If you have any more input on this, Steve, please let us know!

Posted by Jonathan at June 23, 2010 11:07 AM

Ahhh!! Please do a show on why gaming journalism sucks. I'm trying to get a volunteer position at a gaming website and I've noticed that a lot of it is just rewriting press releases. What are some suggestions you have on how to break this PR-regurgitation system?

So glad you're back. Your insider insight is exactly what made your podcast the best gaming news podcast out there. Keep it up!

Posted by Oswald, O at June 27, 2010 4:02 AM

Awesome. Welcome back Steve.

Posted by Danzik at June 28, 2010 8:25 AM

Damn, I wasn't expecting this at all. GS Podcast is back, that's some seriously good news. And I realize it on the same day the PC Battlefield patch finally comes out. Life is good - if you're a nerd that is :D

Posted by Baal_Sagoth at June 30, 2010 12:10 PM

At this point I would advise everybody to step back and carefully examine this 'Steve' for the following:
-Computer connects
-Embedded micro chips
-Symbitoic organisms
-Ectoplastic spikes
-Evil mustache and/or goatee
-Check and see if he can pronounce 'Artillery'

If any of those things appears true, run and contact your local men-in-black anti-aliens, ghostbuster, good Kirk people immediately!

-Lego

Posted by LegodragonXP at July 1, 2010 11:13 AM

Extremely pleasantly surprised to here you back. Please please please, give us your Spore postmortem!

Posted by GumpyJ at July 5, 2010 4:19 PM

Well, you spend the podcast talking about how bored you were with E3, and re-iterating just what made a lot of money for Nintendo. All in all, not very exciting... but then, just as you're closing off, you hint at such explosive material that my ears perked right up. Infinity Ward's debacle (from BOTH sides?!), journalistic corruption and it making you fed up with reporting?

That stuff I can't wait to hear! Oh, and I suppose you didn't see games like X-com or the new Deus Ex, and could comment on those? Considering the brands are both "classics" and all.

Looking forward to your next 'cast, still.

Posted by Evalon Lemar at July 8, 2010 7:33 AM