January 7, 2008

What Game From Your Childhood Would Like To See Re-Released?

StarTropics

In the latest Gaming Steve Podcast during "show mail" I was asked which game I would love to see come out for the Nintendo Virtual Console / Xbox Live Arcade / PlayStation Network. It was a tricky question as there are so many games I would love to play again from my childhood, but right at the very top of my list was one of my favorite games of all time, StarTropics.

StarTropics was a near clone of the The Legend of Zelda but with a linear storyline and a a "modern" setting – instead of a boomerang you wield a yo-yo, instead of a sword you swing a baseball bat, and so forth... Sure it was a complete rip-off of Zelda (I prefer the term homage) but if you are going to rip-off from anyone it might as well be the best!

So imagine my shock when I heard that Nintendo was releasing StarTropics for the Virtual Console ... today!

That is one freaky coincidence.

Which brings me to this week's question, "What game from your childhood would like to see re-released?"

However this release now has me questioning if I should download this game or not? Would playing this game nearly 18 years latter holds up to what I remember?

Should I try to hold on to my fond childhood memories and leave them untarnished? Or should I download the game and try to recapture those memories? A quandary.

Bonus after the jump ... video of some dudes re-enacting the game StarTropics in "real life". Quite humorous.

Posted by Gaming Steve at 11:30 PM | Comments (39) | Posted to Poll |  Add this story to del.icio.us  Stumble It!  Submit this story to Digg!
Comments

Ahhh...

One game I played almost obsessively as a child but completely forgot the name of was Gunstar Superheros. You could combine different guns like flamethrower and homing and laser, and there were all these cool levels and bosses and such. I recently found out the name of and played it and was slightly dissapointed an hour later when I had beaten it.

Another game I've spent COUNTLESS hours playing was the original Perfect Dark. That game was seriously freaking awesome. Something like 50+ weapons and bots and great multiplayer and coop and unlockables... how many hours did I spend just flying around with the Slayer's secondary mode?

Posted by MetallicDragon at January 8, 2008 1:06 AM

I would love to play Mario Paint on the Wii, it's one of my favorites and it would actually work well with the control scheme.

Posted by PatMan33 at January 8, 2008 1:07 AM

Anyone remember Streets of Rage 2, for the Sega Genesis? I always wanted to play that game again since my mom through out my Sega Genesis like 15 years ago.

Would love for that to come out on the Wii's VC or XBLA... Co-op mode intact preferably...

And to MetallicDragon... I second the original Perfect Dark notion. I still play it from time to time at a friends house. Holds up great... although the it could use some Anti-aliasing....

Posted by Michael at January 8, 2008 3:53 AM

Day of the Tentacle.

A while ago I tried to track down a copy of Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max Hit the Road, and Indiana Jones and the fate of atlantis with no success.
Although I doubt Lucasarts would lose the Maniac Mansion license like they did with the Sam and Max.

Also btw Michael, gametap has all the streets of rage games avalaible to subscribers.

Posted by Tarious at January 8, 2008 4:07 AM

Is Streets of Rage 2 not already on XBLA I am sure it is go and have a look.

Posted by David at January 8, 2008 4:33 AM

A remake of Bugaboo The Flea using the wiimote would be awesome. Or maybe a brand new Miner Willy game.

Posted by Me at January 8, 2008 4:55 AM

The original Perfect Dark would be great. I would like to see a remake of Terra Nova: Strike Force Centurai, that was an amazing game for its time. Get this: it's a DOS game that had draw distances as far as Crysis, had squad based combat with voices and all, and it even had water reflection. Looking Glass studios created this (who became Irrational, which recently became 2K Canberra and Boston).

Posted by nrg753 at January 8, 2008 5:30 AM

Hmm well it was before my time but I would like to see Wilderness: A survival adventure remade with better graphics. the basic premise of the game was you've crash landed in the mountains somewhere and you need to make your way to a ranger station. you are given some random equipment and you need to get at it all the while fighting infections, looking for food, ect. If any of you can find a copy I recommend giving it a try.

Link to info at Mobygames: http://www.mobygames.com/game/wilderness-a-survival-adventure

Posted by Will at January 8, 2008 6:25 AM

Axelay!. If there's one game I'd like to play on the full tv screen again it's that one.

Posted by CosmicD at January 8, 2008 6:30 AM

Run, run, hurry, hurry, run, run, hurry, hurry!

Ah...Startropics memories...

As for the remakes, I've been getting this sadistic urge to subject myself to some Solar Jetman again (hoo boy that game was tough!).

Or perhaps an updated Kaiser (german commodore64 strategy game).

Posted by T-BirD at January 8, 2008 6:38 AM

A remake of Albion.

It was one of the first games I have ever played and it is one of the best RPGs ever made. It is a little known German RPG (even here in Germany it's little known), which had both science fiction and fantasy elements in it. It was rated as the best RPG for a long time on Home of the Underdogs, and as far as I am concerned it deserves that place.
I still get reminded of it a lot when I play games today. Every time a game has a similar art-style or music, I think back to Albion, and I want to play it again.

And of course Secret of Mana. I could invite old friends over and we would simply play that game all weekend.

Another candidate would be Sacrifice. However that game may be too recent to justify a re-release.

Posted by Sagan at January 8, 2008 6:47 AM

Either Homeworld, Star Control II, or Sacrifice.

Sacrifice is seriously one of the best RTS games of all time.

Posted by Paroxysm at January 8, 2008 8:49 AM

This is a tough one, so I'll pick some of my old-old favorites:

Mr. Do! (Universal) The first Mr. Do! is a much more complicated version of Dig Dug. It gives you multiple ways of completing levels. Mr. Do!s Castle is a much more complicated version of Space Panic with fear-inducing sound effects when the "clock monster" starts multiplying the enemies in powers of two! Do! Run Run! was an odd psuedo 3-d game with odd mechanics. Then came Mr. Do!s Wild Ride, an inferior clone of Donkey Kong. I smell anthology.

Astro Blaster (Sega/Gremlin). One of the first "talkies" this game inspired Megamania and set the genre for multiple wave alien games. Plus, the secret bonus were fun to find and figure out.

Moon Cresta (Nichibutsu). Similar to Astro Blaster, only crazy-fast. The odd ship mechanic of having an okay small ship, a great medium ship, and a crappy behemoth ship (labeled I, II, and III, respectively) which all docked together was ingenious for its day.

Cliff Hanger! (Stern) An odd laserdisc game that used Lupin the 3rd cartoons (mostly The Castle of Cagliostro--great movie) to splice together a generic save-the-princess plot. It's not a good game by anybody's standards today.

Radar Scope (Nintendo). I bucked the odds and actually loved this first video game by Nintendo. They were all turned into Donkey Kong, a commercial success. It was a Galaxian clone, only with Kamikaze ships, a planetary shiled, and diagonal shooting along with the normal vertical. It made you mad to lose when your planetary shield diminished with two or more lives at hand.

Posted by Robert Gauss at January 8, 2008 9:17 AM

Shoot! I forgot Battletoads (Rare). Both original games.

Posted by Robert Gauss at January 8, 2008 9:19 AM

Well, I played this when I was 12 or 13 years old: A remake of Gunship 2000, which indeed was the successor of Gunship, would be fine. There never was a game/sim with multi-copter flights like in this one again :-( Forget Battlefield, bring back Gunship!

Posted by Mr Harz at January 8, 2008 9:48 AM

I'd say Roller Coaster Tycoon (though it might be on GameTap already)

Posted by Chris Conlon at January 8, 2008 9:55 AM

I've been lucky, and most of the games I wanted a re-release of have already happened, at least in some fashion or form. Legend of Zelda, Mario Kart, Street Fighter 2. However, there is one game that was ranked one of the best SNES games that really flew under the radar (literally)...

Pilotwings.

One of the first games to make good use of Mode 7, Pilotwings is practically in a genre by itself. I remembered playing it on an emulator recently and it did retain a lot of its charm. But thus is the reason for this post. That "charm" lies within us and usually not within the game.

Example. The smell of Christmas cookies or the sight a specific Christmas decoration puts me in the spirit as it brings back memories of my childhood. One ornament, for instance, makes me flash back to an instant in time almost 20 years ago, when it was hanging from a Christmas tree in a home that I no longer live in. I remember everything about that moment. The sight is burned into my mind, I remember the smell, and the exact part of "A Michael Bolton Christmas" that was playing. That fond memory is a snapshot in time and is used to define my childhood.

Now let's relate that to video games. I'll take one of my favorite examples: one of the early Mega Man games. During the fight with Dr. Wily at the end, a robotic "alien" is the primary enemy. There are stars shooting about the screen and it was the first platformed action game I had ever gotten to the end of (not to mention the 3rd or so game I ever rented). I remember that moment like it was yesterday. The crappy gray TV, the smell of the basement I was in, the couch that I wasn't sitting on (I sat on the floor and irradiated myself :)), and I even faintly remember the music of the game. It's a golden moment in my childhood.

So I paid it a visit again a while back. Even more stunning is what I had forgotten... the long trip to get there, with archaic graphics, repetitive gameplay, and lots of frustration. My point is that one may have a series of moments in a game as well as the overall feeling of satisfaction with the game upon completion of it, but you don't remember all 40 or so hours you spend on it. So the other 39 hours are lost to time and while there may be a few pleasant surprises, it's very hard to claw your way through a game just to relive certain moments of it. Sometimes, it's even harder to recreate that moment due to other external stimuli that you may not have anymore (the same couch or chair, the same room, the same people around you).

I've found that when it comes to video games, to leave the memories as just that and to archive them as a defining point in your childhood. Tryin to relive them usually comes up short (minus the obvious exception of the Aeris death scene in FFVII, a classic every time you experience it).

Posted by Tr0n at January 8, 2008 10:12 AM

There were no video games in my childhood! I started playing computer games as an adult in the early 80's. My list of old favorite PC games is too long to narrow to just one. Some I'd like to see re-released (and playable under Vista!) include Steve Meretzky's Superhero League of Hoboken, Richard Garriot's Ultima IV, Cliff Johnson's Fool's Errand, Scott Kim's Heaven and Earth, Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos, the SSI Ravenhearst games Stone Prophet and Strahd's Possession, Seventh Guest, Relentless, and Twinsen's Odyssey.

Posted by Karen at January 8, 2008 10:57 AM

BODY HARVEST (N64) -

with today's graphics and gameplay innovations, this game would be amazing in a remake... there'd have to be some minor changes done to the overall way the game is played out but, "rockstar games" really could bring this old gem back into a new age... this game was supposedly where R* got the idea of an open-world game, which they use in their GTA series...

traveling back in time at the end of time to save the planet from an alien invasion that has already wiped out most of mankind... an invasion with the sole purpose of harvesting humans... playing in ancient greece & world war I america, taking on hordes on invading aliens threating your very existence, and the very existence of history itself...

sounds fun!! sign me up!!

Posted by adam hazucha at January 8, 2008 12:18 PM

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. I was fourteen when I got it for Christmas, and I remember being totally obsessed with it. The music, the atmosphere, the puzzles, and the story all pulled me in.

It may already be on virtual console for all I know, but as I'll never get a Wii, (I'm physically disabled, the Wii's control scheme completely cuts me out), it doesn't really matter to me. Still, I'd like to see it again.

Posted by Fobok at January 8, 2008 3:24 PM

BALLERBURG!! Really old monochrome game for the Atari ST. It was most fun playing against a friend: Each player had a castle on one side of the screen. Basically you had to fire your cannons (one shot per turn) on your adversaries' castle until you made a hole to the king's chamber and killed him. Of course you had to take in account wind direction and force, as well as shooting angle.
Besides you had to control the taxes as low as possible to keep a high population, but high enough to get enough money for new cannons, bricks to repair your castle, etc. You could also ask your little king in his chamber for advice, which in most cases resulted in a very funny but very useless suggestion. Simple and fun!

Posted by Doubleclick at January 8, 2008 4:32 PM

Final Fantasy 7 no doubt over PSN.

Posted by Joe DelFranco at January 8, 2008 8:10 PM

- Monkey Island 1 and 2. Brilliantly funny games. The very best adventures I've ever played. Great great times.

- Turrican 1 and 2 (Amiga version) Awesome 2d sidescrolling action-shooter-platformer with incredible music. Can believe Microsoft hasnt bought the rights to the license yet to make their own exclusive Metroid Prime-killer.

- Superfrog. I dont know, I just really really liked the whole game. It's not overly original or great in anyway, but as a complete package, it all just worked, and had great gameplay. Loved it.

There are many classics I'd love to play again (Motorhead, Revenge of Shinobi, etc etc...), but the ones I named top the list. :)

Also, Ubisoft should release a HD version of Beyond Good and Evil, as I missed it first time round and have regretted it ever since...

Posted by Yi-Long at January 8, 2008 8:43 PM

I want all of the Ultima games re-released. Espically Ultima III through Pagen.

Those games were the best and they pretty much were the first RPGs ever.

Posted by wilson at January 8, 2008 8:57 PM

One game i want to come out again is Megaman x4 for sure. I spent 7 hours of my day playing it and i missed alot of my homework for it.

I also want akujji the heartless re-released

Posted by nuhas at January 8, 2008 9:01 PM

Monkey Island 1 and 2, greatest games and used to replay them all the time. But now cant play them without sound which was one of the best parts of it.
and to Tarious i found sam and max and a few other lucas arts titles like full throttle in GAME in Australia for $9.95 aus
CD versions of DAy of the Tenatlce and Sam and Max still work fine.

Posted by brendo at January 8, 2008 9:22 PM

One game they should definitely re-release or remake is dragon force for sega saturn. It was an amazing strategy game that had serious depth. I could play that game for hours. Also the original Guardian Heroes would be perfect in High Def (Every person that played it fell in love with it no matter what system they ha)d

Posted by Lenny at January 8, 2008 9:26 PM

some of my favorites as a kid that id love to see on xbla:
1942
crazy climber
pitfall
camando
pheonix
punchout/super punchout(the real arcade ones,not the mike tyson garbage)

Posted by chris at January 8, 2008 9:30 PM

Wonder Boy 1&2,
Astrix,
Psycho Fox,
Abes Oddeysee

Posted by Razmossis at January 8, 2008 9:32 PM

The old Microprose games like The way of the Samurai or even the spy game covert action. Those game had depth and if u add the graphic capabilities of todays consoles...hmmm

Posted by Prideless at January 8, 2008 10:54 PM

Fury 3
That was probably my favorite flight sim of all time and i would definetly love to see it be remade with better graphics

Posted by b_wingflyer at January 8, 2008 11:07 PM

Zillion from the Sega Master System. This is one of my favorite all time games, and would be great to replay with a save feature (hard as hell the first time!).

Posted by Eddie at January 8, 2008 11:11 PM

I would love to see not so much a re-release as a remake of Racing Destruction Set from EA. I used to play the snot out of that game on the C64 making new tracks and playing with the gravity.

Posted by Leathersoup at January 8, 2008 11:16 PM

My favorite game of all time I'd like to see them put on the PSN remake or otherwise is the GENESIS game Herzog Zwei. It was my 1st taste into the RTS world. I played that game so much that I was on par with the computers speed in going thru the menus.

Also I would like to see Thunderforce 1-3 from the Genesis days.

Posted by Ray at January 8, 2008 11:45 PM

Centurion: Defender of Rome and Megalomania.

The games that started my love for RTS's and both on the Mega Drive. Not quite the RTS machine normally but the most fun I had with it!

Posted by JamDunc at January 9, 2008 1:35 AM

TIE Fighter (and the other Star Wars simulators).

It's been ages since I've been able to get my hands on a star fighter simulator. I really miss that kind of game. :\

Posted by Raquel at January 9, 2008 8:14 AM

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT PARRY PARRY PARRY

One of my favorite games from childhood was Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. My personal experience is with the PC version, but the Nintendo version would be a wonderful port as well.

Posted by Scott McNair at January 9, 2008 9:10 AM

Kiler Instinct for the super nintendo was a game i was addicted to hopefully they re-relelase tht! and others such as Final Fantasy 7, 8 + 9.

Posted by Afzal Mussa at January 9, 2008 9:56 AM

Karateka, from my Apple II gaming days. Impressive for its time.

Posted by BlueBottle at January 15, 2008 8:36 AM