January 13, 2008

Nintendo Power Reveals Bioware's New Sonic RPG

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood

I think I actually had to read this one three times before it sunk in — the French gaming site JeuxFrance.com has early scans of the next issue of Nintendo Power and it appears that Bioware is developing a Sonic the Hedgehog RPG for the DS named Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. They write (translated from the original French via Babelfish):

"Nintendo Power has just diffused in its last edition the very first images of Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood (in the past Sonic RPG) developed by Bioware which one knows especially to have occupied of Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic or Mass Effect. The play thus seems to approach a style closer to the drawing animated Sonic while proposing engagements with the turn by turn in 3d with special blows with the Elite Beat Agents. It will be possible to compose a team of 4 on the 11 characters available whose Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles, Rouge, Shadow or Big the Cat. Each one of these characters will have a particular ability, Tails for example will have the possibility of flying to the top of objects. With the manner of The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, the play will be controlled exclusively with the stylet, moreover it will not have there random combat since all your enemies will be visible with the screen. As very good RPG one finds of course the possibility of increasing level, its competences and to acquire new attacks. Concerning the history it will be a question this time of a removal of Knuckles and emeralds but Eggman will apparently not be the principal enemy here even if he will have a role to play. The play will make you pass between the usual world of Sonic and the world obscure. It will unfortunately be necessary still to wait to have a little more information on Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood envisaged on Nintendo DS."

You can view the rest of the images after the jump.

sonic1.jpg

sonic2.jpg

sonic3.jpg

sonic4.jpg

sonic5.jpg

sonic6.jpg

sonic7.jpg

sonic8.jpg

sonic9.jpg

Posted by Gaming Steve at 12:30 AM | Comments (17) | Posted to DS |  Add this story to del.icio.us  Stumble It!  Submit this story to Digg!
Comments

I'll keep my fingers crossed for this game but I'm going to look in the other direction until someone tells me to turn around.

Posted by PatMan33 at January 13, 2008 12:59 AM

I really like the artwork. Looks promising.

I'm not going to judge this game upon other people's opinions this time. I'll just take it for it's merits. I just want to be able to enjoy a sincere effort of a decent Sonic game, even if it's not a classic formula because SEGA fails to uphold that.

Posted by Eligecos at January 13, 2008 1:10 AM

Wow... I truly miss the great 2D RPG's of old.... this just jumped to my #1 anticipated DS game for 2008... hope it plays well ;)

Posted by sketchrob at January 13, 2008 1:11 AM

Idk ive been disapointed with just about every sonic game in the base 5 years.

Posted by killerboy85 at January 13, 2008 2:03 AM

It's going to suck. I assure you.

Posted by Paroxysm at January 13, 2008 2:20 AM

I really miss the days when Bioware was a PC gaming company. On the other hand, this does look like it might be good.

Posted by Fobok at January 13, 2008 2:21 AM

Why were you surprised Steve? That Bioware were doing a Sonic RPG?

Posted by JamDunc at January 13, 2008 4:55 AM

I love Bioware, and I hope they succeed. But being that I don't own or plan to own a DS in the future, I could care less for a sonic RPG. I view this as Sega giving away their franchise to a company that knows how to make games, because they can't make a competent Sonic themselves... And Seriously... Was Sonic Adventure 1/2 that bad? I for one enjoyed both Sonic Adventures for my Dreamcast.

If anyone can pull of an RPG these days, its Bioware... I just hope they get this title out ASAP, and go back to working on KOTOR 3 or Mass Effect 2...

Posted by Michael at January 13, 2008 5:39 AM

The screenshots look well suited towards the DS platform, although I'm not convinced that Sonic is suited for this genre. But with Bioware at the helm I'm quite confident that this will be one of the best Sonic games in the past few years.

Posted by Daniel Primed at January 13, 2008 6:37 AM

Good screenshoots ))

Posted by Van at January 13, 2008 8:34 AM

Not trying to be an ass but the fact that they're doing it has been known for quite some time but there hasn't been any info about it until now

Posted by teo at January 13, 2008 9:35 AM

So long as Sonic Team isn't going to be anywhere near it.

Posted by Gauphastus at January 13, 2008 4:09 PM

Do you people remember when Mario got and RPG from another "great RPG" company called Square? I remember my friends complaining the MArio wasn't' suited to be and RPG too, but Square made a really fun game that people enjoy till today, I will give Bioware the benefit of the doubt, could be the biggest surprise hit of 2008...

Posted by sketchrob at January 13, 2008 4:29 PM

The art is good but it lacks the flair of the regular Sonic series. And I'm sorely disappointed that you can't make your own characters in this game. (I know, I know, but wouldn't that be cool?)

Complaints aside, if the Mario RPGs are better than the main 3D Mario games as of late (Yes, I am hating Galaxy right now) then the Sonic RPG should still be awesome.

Posted by Ryuukuro at January 13, 2008 7:06 PM

THE ORIGINALS ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by SHAB at January 19, 2008 10:31 AM

ALL OF THE NEW ONES ARE THE BEST AND THE ORIGINALS ARE CRAP...

Posted by AZ at January 19, 2008 10:33 AM

Looks a lot like Dragoon.

Posted by B-Dogg at April 14, 2008 11:52 PM