December 26, 2007

Want a Wii? Sell a Picture of it!

I want a Wii too!

This definitely falls under the heading, "why didn't I think of that?" Or perhaps a better heading would be, "that's so stupid it just might work!"

Christine and Justin are two NYC illustrators and run a web site called Wants For Sale. On this site they sell paintings of things they want for the exact retail price of the item. Once they sell their painting of the item they then use the proceeds to buy it. The things they want range from an order of buffalo wings ($12.70) to "financial security" (for one million dollars!).

And it seems that one of them (I would guess Justin) is a fan of video games as they have managed to get a Madden ’08 ($65.01), Halo 3 ($65.01), “Another Guitar for GH2” ($64.98), and a freaking Wii ($270.92)! (That is the picture they sold to get them their Wii.)

I have to admit that this a pretty freaking great idea. Draw a picture of what you want, get someone to buy it, and then you get to buy it -- genius!

I only wonder now that they have the money to buy a Wii, where on earth did they manage to find one?

Posted by Gaming Steve at 12:30 PM | Comments (9) | Posted to Culture | Wii | Xbox |  Add this story to del.icio.us  Stumble It!  Submit this story to Digg!
Comments

Brilliant. Wish I had thought of that... also wish my artist skills weren't sub-par...

I'd draw food constantly... that's about it.

Posted by Met at December 26, 2007 12:52 PM

What the hell?

Posted by Gauphastus at December 26, 2007 2:13 PM

When I read this article and saw the picture steve put with it I thought, he prob just got that picture off the internet, then I go to the site and see all the pictures are of poor quality and that wii picture was actually from the site.

Who the hell buys this stuff?(the paintings that is) probably some really drunk guys who have nothing better to do. If I was to pay $65 for a picture of Halo 3, the Mona Lisa had better be holding it in the picture.

These guys are brilliant I have to admit cause they know people are stupid, and are taking advantage of it.

Posted by Tarious at December 26, 2007 7:44 PM

I consider this a scam, they're riping people off.

Posted by Bosnique at December 26, 2007 8:47 PM

They're not ripping anyone off. It's obvious to anyone it's just a picture, and they claim that they're just pictures, so nobody is being caught unawares here.

Posted by Paroxysm at December 26, 2007 10:51 PM

Hahah!! That's hillarious...yeah, at first I thought it was one of those eBay things where they sell a box and trick people into thinking it's whatever is on the front...but they're like totally honest...it's just a joke, but think how awesome it is when somebody with a little extra cash shows up thinking, "You know it'd be even funnier if I actually bought one of these things..."

Posted by Hizzah at December 27, 2007 1:14 AM

Just another example that some people have "more money than sense".

Posted by swerv at December 27, 2007 7:00 AM

If someone wants to buy it then I won't stop them, although I wouldn't advise it.

Posted by PatMan33 at December 27, 2007 9:53 AM

Glad to see you back Steve. Happy New Year.

Posted by Jeff Wadsworth at December 27, 2007 12:40 PM