July 20, 2006

Microsoft Zune Player To Be Officially Announced Tomorrow?

The Zune is coming!Perhaps one of the worst kept secrets in the industry right now is the that Microsoft is working on a portable iPod-type device. Well I managed to find out from a reliable source that tomorrow Microsoft will officially announce the existence of the Zune. I don't know all the details of the device, but I have some pretty solid info on a few details.

First and foremost, the Zune will not be a portable game playing device. Once again, no games. Its core function will to play music and videos as well as provide "social networking capabilities". So those of you waiting for a Microsoft PSP/DS device will have to keep waiting.

Other tidbits -- the Zune will tie directly into Live Anywhere (I guess that's the "social networking capabilities" functionality), it will come with a 30GB hard drive, have WiFi capabilities, come in three different colors, and should be on the market by this November.

Look on the news wires tomorrow for more information and the official existence of this device.

Posted by Gaming Steve at 10:00 PM | Comments (43) | Posted to Portable | Add this story to del.icio.us
Comments

A post! I sure hope it connects up with Live Anywhere. That would make it very appealing.

Posted by Lazrius at July 20, 2006 10:08 PM

Yay, a news update on the site! It's been a while

Anyway, this look like it has potential. I might consider getting this over the the video ipod if it's any good.

Posted by Sub at July 21, 2006 12:08 AM

"Social Networking capabilites"? They going to try a MySpace tie-in like Helio?

Posted by Beomoose at July 21, 2006 02:21 AM

Man that is sure ugly.....

Posted by Pox at July 21, 2006 03:16 AM

And, let me guess: it will only play locked-down content, no divX, no Xvid.

Posted by GrumpyRobot at July 21, 2006 08:34 AM

I've been given this address by a friend who does IT journalism, and told it will be the site for a launch on Tuesday

www.itpro.co.uk

Posted by Cruithne at July 21, 2006 08:58 AM

"no gaming"

no interest.

Posted by exam at July 21, 2006 10:35 AM

Finally, a way to show off my Gamerscore on the train!

Posted by Super Famicom at July 21, 2006 11:11 AM

If Microsoft gives this thing more features than an iPod (like social-networking/Live and perhaps even a built-in FM tuner so you don't have to buy a $50 or $100 piece of crap FM tuner from BestBuy) AND possibly makes it more affordable than an iPod, I will definitely buy this instead.

Posted by DrJiggs at July 21, 2006 12:05 PM

I am very much looking forward to this device. I especially am looking forward to the video aspect hopefully being much better than the iPod video which is very haphazardly thrown together. If nothing else the Live Anywhere will be good and it'll push Apple to have to work even harder, which is good for everyone, in the future.

Posted by Paul at July 21, 2006 12:16 PM

I think that this is very interesting. I have an iPod and love it but I also hope that Microsoft can pull this off and be a formitable competitor. This will make it so when I get my next iPod the competition from Microsoft will ensure that I will get all kinds of bells and whistles.

Posted by David C at July 21, 2006 02:46 PM

The zune will do well thanks to all the xbox fans out there. I heard the colors will be white black and blue from someone I must keep anonymous.

Posted by zune at July 21, 2006 03:15 PM

Wait it has to play some games. I thought 'Live Anywhere' meant that u could play all ur xbox live arcade games on mobile devices....wasnt that the whole point. i understand its not gonnna be playing halo and ninga gaiden but how bout some uno and mayne a toned down geometry wars..

PS. People call it ugly but look at that screen..look on the internet at the video ipod and compare it. the ratio of the zune's screen to the rest is unreal.

Posted by kevo999 at July 21, 2006 04:21 PM

Uh, that link I gave upthread is for something else, please ignore me, As I slink away quietly....

Posted by Cruithne at July 21, 2006 05:25 PM

can you say fugly

Posted by conjuror at July 21, 2006 07:57 PM

It just looks bad with that logo stuck there. I imagine it's gonna look a whole lot better when you see the video playback.

Posted by Cruithne at July 21, 2006 08:49 PM

it's announced....

and wow...

that's... that's just weird...

Posted by UnknownCzar at July 21, 2006 09:20 PM

Zune's prospects look good in terms of expected change in market dynamics as we can expect iPod to match the zune's features like Wi-fi etc plus the cheaper prices of music. Moreover It will be quite entertaining to watch the MSFT's venture in "Digital Home".

Posted by Amit Tripathi at July 22, 2006 05:32 AM

kevo999,

Live Anywhere is more than just playing your games. It has to do with the community you have built using Live on both the Xbox and on Windows. You notice that Microsoft's new messenger is now called Live Messenger. Since the Zune will have Wi-Fi built in you might be able to listen to some music at home and then you get a beep on your Zune and you can look and see that someone has invited you play Gears of War with them. You might be able to send text messages to people on you friends list (It wouldn't be that much harder than sending text messages on the console).

Posted by David C at July 22, 2006 11:05 AM

ah man i thought we were gonna play xbl arcade games

Posted by kevo999 at July 22, 2006 12:04 PM

lemme guess, microsoft will take a loss to sell this too.

Posted by deeplee at July 22, 2006 06:41 PM

check out this weblog www.zune-player.net it has discovered a hilarious move from apple who is trying to make microsofts new mp3 player look funny !

Posted by mark at July 24, 2006 09:07 AM

I'm having trouble finding the confirmation that apple was behind the deadzune thing -- Did you just make it up? I also see your name is Mark, as is the person behind that zune-player site. Shameful plug of your own Anti-Apple aggenda?

Who cares?

Posted by sundby at July 24, 2006 04:06 PM

Oh good, DOWN WITH APPLE! Im geting one, i think the ipod is over priced and im sorry to say i bought one.. err 2 because my first broke, then my second broke... i hope its cheaper than my old busted 60gb ipod video.

Posted by Kyle1223 at July 25, 2006 02:49 AM

nothing can stop MS, they are too powerfull

Posted by zune at July 25, 2006 12:53 PM

galaga is so boring on a xbox 360 controller, I like it a lot better with a joystick, but frogger is fun with both, they sould have enhanced the graphics for the 5$ cost, I can play these games online for free, they need a game like micro life or that simpsons game or the ninja turtle game I played as a kid, they also need a game like snake on there, nintendo is going to crush them if they continue to put these unenhanced games on live for 5 to 10 bucks, and gaming steve needs to break up these podcast segments bit by bit so we dont have to wait 2 weeks to a month till we get something, Im tired of checking, Im just going to listen to the other 10 podcast that post on time!

Posted by Erik310 at July 31, 2006 10:04 AM

Alright, I think that another show is in order. It is now August 5th, and nothing since July 20th. Are we going to get another month-long wait between podcasts? Is Gaming Steve now a monthly thing?

Posted by MO at August 5, 2006 09:53 PM

I know steve has been busy lately, and I can understand it, but this is getting depressing that it takes so long between episodes now =(

-August 10

Posted by Evil Lil Spore at August 10, 2006 05:24 PM

This could be interesting, however, it will have to take a lot more then this to get me excited about an "official" Microsoft handheld device. Espeically if it's being announced to not have any gaming relations what so ever. I don't quite understand this move by Microsoft, why this and not some killer Xbox 360 peripherial? Okay the camera will be cool but why not something like a Xbox 360 mouse and keyboard bundle or something cool like that.. I don't know I just don't see much opportunity for MS inside of the handheld market of any kind. Should be interesting though.

Posted by Derek at August 11, 2006 09:38 AM

My God. We need a new podcast.

Posted by Dinosaurus at August 11, 2006 04:45 PM

Ugh, you got that Chris guy from Joystiq on the newest episode? We've heard what drivel spills from his mouth on here before. Oh well nice try.

Posted by exam at August 12, 2006 04:08 AM

Of course... During a Podcast delay come the Trollers and Advertisers on the comments section...

Oy vey...

Posted by sgore at August 12, 2006 01:06 PM

Wow I just realized that we have had one podcast since june 19 .... i dont even want to think about how many days that is.....steve still has the best podcast though

Posted by kevo999 at August 13, 2006 05:21 PM

Only the best pod cast if it actually happens.

Which seems to be getting less and less frequently lately.

Posted by Mal at August 14, 2006 03:05 AM

I bet August 20th will be when the new show comes out.

Posted by Shadowcreep at August 15, 2006 12:35 PM

fingers crossed..

Posted by Morgan at August 15, 2006 03:27 PM

As if he's dead, he posted on the forums today.

Posted by Kibble at August 16, 2006 01:16 AM

Dead rising everyone. Steve has just been busy: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5525.msg208357#msg208357

Forest, you re grounded.

Posted by virtua at August 16, 2006 01:26 AM

Who wants a music player with the reliability of Windows, more complexity than Office, the negative profit margins of Xbox, and the monopolistic exploitation of IE?!? Micro$oft still loses money on Xbox, and will undoubtedly lose money on this fugly monstrosity.

Microsoft has proven time and time again that it doesn't know how to compete in a market it doesn't own. Apple owns the portable player market, and I can assure you that Steve Jobs is not losing sleep over this "threat".

Posted by Musical Flatulence at August 18, 2006 04:48 PM

Ah, a fellow Mac user/Microsoft hater. Yes, Musical Flatulence (great name btw), I agree with you completely. I think this thing will probably be crap, but I do think Apple's had so little competition that they're getting a bit too relaxed now, and I think some serious competition would be good for them. And anyway, as much as I hate Microsoft, never underestimate them. No one thought they would do well in the game industry at all, but it looks like they'll probably win this round of the console wars. I don't think the Zune will be any kind of serious threat to the iPod, but some light competition will only make Apple work harder and make even better products. :-)

BTW, yes I'm new to the forums here, but I'm an avid gamer (although being a college student, I don't have nearly as much time for it anymore as I'd like), and I've been a loyal Gaming Steve listener for almost a year now. I'm a huge Apple and Nintendo fan; the only console I own now is the GameCube, and I can't wait for the Wii to come out. :-)

Posted by ABassCube at September 2, 2006 04:31 AM

Check out this video starring the ne zune player at www.zune-player.net

Posted by dunny buoy at September 18, 2006 06:55 AM

The Zune is kick ass and looks great! The IPOD is great, but stop being a fanboy apple users!

3 inch screen and not over priced is a great deal!!!

Posted by Le at November 13, 2006 06:07 PM

Oh you saved tons of my time. Thanks a lot.

Posted by Paula at April 4, 2007 08:38 AM