July 18, 2006

Gaming Steve Episode 57 - 07.18.2006

PreyDon't worry everyone, I didn't go anywhere. I just had a series of unfortunate events, but here's a new show ... just for you! Enjoy!

Gaming Steve Episode 57 Program

• 00:08:17 Game News:
    • Now you can move from Azeroth ... for a price.
    • When will we see the Wii?
    • Sony white PSP ad draws fire.
    • Street Fighter II and other classic games announced.
    • Pokemon to go online.
    • No games for Zune?
    • Driver abandons the Atari ship.
    • Target pulls UMDs.
    • EA announces yet another Lord of the Rings again.
    • Sony slapped with another patent suit.
    • June sales way up.
  • 00:36:52 Game Preview: Maelstrom for the PC.
  • 00:39:08 Game Preview: ATI press event.
  • 00:43:16 Review: Prey for the PC and Xbox 360.
  • 00:52:06 “Name That Game!” contest winner from last week, a new clip, and the always cool prize!
  • lili
  • 00:55:41 Show Mail: I answer your audio and email questions.
  • 01:40:19 Final Thoughts: Doom RPG is awesome ... who knew?
Download the show (105 minutes): Gaming Steve Episode 57 (MP3).

Subscribe to the Podcast directly in iTunes (MP3).
Add the Gaming Steve Podcast feed to your RSS aggregator.
Vote for Gaming Steve on Podcast Alley.

Posted by Gaming Steve at 04:00 PM | Comments (35) | Posted to Podcast | Preview | Review | Add this story to del.icio.us
Comments

Ya!

Posted by Danzik at July 18, 2006 04:41 PM

Can I be the first to say -- Welcome Back!

It was a long drought.

Downloading now, can't wait to listen.

Posted by mtdunn at July 18, 2006 04:43 PM

I had just about given up hope. I've been refreshing daily for the last month (sad). Yippeee! Five minutes before my night-shift starts the podcast shows up. Keep it up!

Posted by Sebbe at July 18, 2006 04:47 PM

Sweet! Thanks Steve!

Posted by Herniated Lumbar-Sacral Tenderloin at July 18, 2006 04:50 PM

I told you about LOTR4 a while ago Steve! The lead designer gave a lecture to our GSP course, and he mentioned it. You must have missed the Email. :(

Posted by Mr_Wizard at July 18, 2006 05:02 PM

Great show. If you haven't already seen the trailer for it, Valve's game Portal looks like it'll take that basic concept and go completely crazy with it.

Posted by HallwayGiant at July 18, 2006 05:58 PM

I too, am downloading as I type.
I can't wait to listen.

Posted by Sully at July 18, 2006 06:05 PM

HUZZAH!

Keep up the wonderful work Steve!

Posted by PatMan33 at July 18, 2006 06:53 PM

w00t! You had me worried, Stephen, welcome back!

Posted by Beomoose at July 18, 2006 06:57 PM

...I thought that you died or had an accident...I was getting worried.

Posted by Umbra_Militis at July 18, 2006 10:46 PM

Prey? Quake 3 Engine???

Posted by NRG-753 at July 18, 2006 10:54 PM

Oops, I meant to say that Prey was made off the Doom 3 engine. Ah you all knew what I meant!

Posted by Gaming Steve at July 18, 2006 11:00 PM

Hahah yeah, you can blame Quake 4

Posted by NRG-753 at July 18, 2006 11:04 PM

Good to see your back, I was worried.

Posted by Lazrius at July 18, 2006 11:06 PM

You say that your horse has never died now that you have the horse armour, but I could have sworn the horse armour was entirely cosmetic.

Posted by UndeadScottsman at July 19, 2006 05:19 AM

At last, I was afraid something terrible happened to you, Steve.

I will definately enjoy this show, after almost a month of waiting.

Ya!!!!

Posted by Mangerman at July 19, 2006 12:03 PM

I believe it's Electronic Gaming Monthly that does the annual Kids Review 80's Games thing.

Posted by Sully at July 19, 2006 12:42 PM

Sweet, you're back!

But no news/comments about the recent Team Fortress 2 anouncement by EA?!

Posted by P4p3Rc1iP at July 19, 2006 12:54 PM

For your new DS Owners:

A long-term investment game for the DS is Megaman Battle Network 5 (I think it's 5). They combined the two Gameboy Advance games of the same name. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it in the stores for months! On the negative side, the game is very repetitive, but if you've never played a Battle Network game, it will be pretty fresh. After all, it's a Action/RPG/Tactics/Trading Card Game--sort of. It certainly is the deepest BN game so far.

Posted by Robb at July 19, 2006 03:06 PM

Screw-On Head! Yes! I discovered this over the weekend and it's Frakking incredible! Loved that pilot, excellent voice acting AND Mike Mignola art. Hope the series gets greenlighted.

Posted by Beomoose at July 19, 2006 03:59 PM

Finally! Thank you.

Posted by MO at July 19, 2006 07:56 PM

Winner of the name the game contest from LAST WEEK ?
More like last month ;-)

It's good to have you back, steve !

Posted by Alphager at July 20, 2006 06:14 AM

Hearing that opening theme with a new show felt awesome!

Welcome back!

--Shoki

Posted by Shoki at July 20, 2006 01:10 PM

I hate the EGM kid thing where they show the older games to young kids. I remember reading them, and thinking these kids are trying to hard to be funny and witty. Plus they pissed me off with their snot-nosed sayings and cursing. Kids today have no idea about games, they want a hintbook when they purchase a new game. Dont want any kind of challenge, and think gameplay is all about graphics. Stupid kids. The future of this country looks bleaker and bleaker everyday.

Posted by Dean St. Onge at July 20, 2006 01:52 PM

All of the DS games mentioned are great. I am glad that Zoo Keeper was mentioned because I think it is a great game (it playes just like Bejeweled) and it only cost me $5.

One thing about the DS is that you might have to buy more than one. I bought one and my wife kept on hogging it so I had to buy another one (a lite this time).

Posted by David C at July 21, 2006 02:54 PM

Blark blark... rawwwg!

Posted by hydrallus at July 27, 2006 01:08 AM

Dean St. Onge,

I also got the impression the kids in that article were being cheeky (it's like the camera-in-the-courtroom effect). However, it didn't sound like they were lying. After all, they are part of the current demographic and there's a lot of give and take between the player's and publisher's expectations for games.

Posted by Robb at July 27, 2006 05:29 PM

W00T! Great pod cast. The thing about that ati chip inside the cell phone was amazing! Hehe, I'm so excited~! =)

Posted by JJ at July 28, 2006 08:46 PM

rom Voodoo Extreme
(http://ve3d.ign.com/#700903):
Bethesda Softworks announced that its hit title, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion has achieved record sales, reflecting huge market demand for the title. Over 1.7 million units of Oblivion for the PC and Xbox 360 have been shipped since the launch of the game.

In North America, Oblivion has become the fastest selling game released on the Xbox 360. The NPD Group Inc reports Oblivion PC as the best selling PC game, while the Oblivion Collectors Edition is ranked number 2. NPD reports that Oblivion represented approximately 13% of all PC game sales in the first week of it release, more than four times the sales volume of the next best selling title.

And it's going to keep selling.

Bethesda just saved the offline RPG, essentially, because if it had bombed, it would have been over. It would have been one of the last high-profile offline RPG's ever made. Gaming executives (never accused of in-depth thought) would have said "Oblivion, bad. World of Warcraft, good."

This is also going to spawn a bunch of articles where people say things like "Hey--five million people play WOW. And Oblivion's already sold almost two million copies. Wait a minute--it's an RPG resurgence! People actually like role-playing games BETTER than first-person shooters!"

What they'll be missing, of course, is that we care less about genre than we do about playing great games. But that doesn't really make for an interesting message, so it will just get ignored.

posted by Bill Harris @ 12:01 PM

_I just had to say something as Steve said Obliv didn't sell well...?? I thought it did very well and I bought both a CE and the regular edition. I so enjoyed Morrowind I was prepared to hate Oblivion looking for it to not stand up to what I was expecting next time...I was surprised and have spent 100 hours in the game with the main quest still not finished. This is good gaming !

Posted by Dave Sodee at July 29, 2006 09:29 PM

You forgot to mention the FinFantasy remakes for GBA which are great. It's been very funny to play the first two Final Fantasys in a much better graphic. And I finally got part 4 which I really love. Count in that 4+5 are also coming and FFIII is coming as a DS version.
The complete history of classic FF running on one system ^^

I'm also gettting Riviera for the GBA from which I have heard really good things... and wait for the DS RPGs to arrive.

Fox out

Posted by FoxSpirit at July 30, 2006 07:47 PM

So Microsoft don't like 'Podcast' and insist on calling shows like this a 'Gamecast'? :D

Although I found the Microsoft motivation chilling (because they'll be competing with Apple soon with their new product - I hope you got paid for that endorsement by the way Steve), I don't like corporate brands becoming mainstream cultural lingo either.

Netcast would be a good alternative, but it won't catch on. I guess we'll know if Steve has been bought by Microsoft if all references to Podcasting are removed and replaced with 'Zunecast'.

;)

Posted by Laurence at August 6, 2006 07:38 PM

STEVE PLEASE LET US KNOW THAT YOU ARE OKAY

Posted by Joseph at August 7, 2006 11:34 AM

Major Nelson, the guy who does Xbox podcasts and works at microsoft, calles them "blogcasts", I think that is what steve ment to say.

Posted by krazyman at August 7, 2006 03:19 PM

If Major Nelson is using the word "blogcast" that's reason alone for us to boycott the word. Is there a more unbearable "blogcaster" than Major Nelson?

Posted by FrankS at August 7, 2006 07:49 PM

Hey steve! great podcast... a lot about power cords and starbucks, eh? Reminds me of this "New Games Journalism" I hear so much about. You probably know what that is but if you dont, google it....

Posted by Tempas at August 16, 2006 12:28 AM